I (didnt) Won Charlie Waites Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012 LPOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing photos! Is the last one rugeley power station?

(y) Thanks mike

Amazing photos! Is the last one rugeley power station?

Yep that's right the tree is in a field next to slitting mill jut outside the chase

cannockwolf said:
Duncan I'd like to know why it is a concern? If I had taken the jpeg off his site and just sent it in to the comp I can see why, but I drove there, got up early and took the shot processed it myself, in a totally different manner as they are not the same, and sent my picture to a competition, what is the problem with that?

Do I really deserve the slagging off that a small few have given me? Really?

Dave (if I may be so familiar), I appreciate your reply and I do agree that you don't deserve any abuse or slagging. You have done nothing 'wrong'. As you say those boats are well shot (and yours and Peter's shots far eclipse my efforts by far) and you are entirely entitled to shoot them.

Indeed, there is little that any of us could describe as truly original, most shots (esp in UK) are in some way derivative unless we genuinely go out of our way to make them. Most of us see an image, want to mimic or take elements from that image, be in the same place as that image, etc

I don't think anyone doubts you, your image or its worthiness - and it IS gorgeous lest that be missed - and I don't think you really have a case to answer, should you feel otherwise under 'attack'.

However I am sure that you understand that the competition and its reputation is at stake if there is an obvious case of replication. I appreciate your moves to distance your image from Peter's but there is very little to separate them and the original comment on your website acknowledged that it was derivative of his shot, regardless of time between them.

For my own part, I submitted an I image of Buachaille Etive Mòr, one of the biggest clichés in the UK. Had I won (and your image is light years beyond mine!) I would be obliged to accept it was derivative of so many shots that went before and probably in the same tripods holes. Indeed I expected it to be rejected on such grounds, and similar shots likewise in the hope of uncovering something new.

I agree that being a victim of 'abuse' is unwarranted. I expect like many you submitted images to the competition in hope more than expectation and being thrust into the limelight with such questions to answer was unexpected and unwarranted.

Ultimately the competition and it's organisers hold responsibility - there is nothing to say you shouldn't submit such an image. Yet if they purport to represent the finest, original and pinnacle of UK landscape photography then with that comes a certain understanding that it should be truly unique and moving landscape photography forward.

As such entrants have an expectation that winners fit that mould. You yourself admitted it was the same as a camera club member's and a shot made thousands of times over. The question raised is is a 'very much shot image' what LPOY is looking for as it's winner? Perhaps, but not by it's advertising. Do you feel that your image represents the pinnacle of UK Landscape Photography?

Again I love your image and congratulations on your win (accomplished in good faith so beyond recourse) and I don't come to pick an argument only to suggest those that are otherwise deemed 'bitter' are not unjustified.

And again, I genuinely love the image!

(ps I don't think Alex's point was about walking days and wild camping, and lovely as I find some of his images - which I do! - I don't think they necessarily represent what LPOY should be looking for either. And so perhaps the key point is 'what is the competition looking for?' as that decrees success)

Dncan thanks for that, I didn't aim any comments a you personally but if you read some comments elsewhere you would honestly think I had took peters jpeg and submitted it, apparently I should be feeling sick and hollow for doing something as terrible as I did, WTF!!!? I just submitted some of MY photos I love that's all.

Tbh I didn't even think what are the organizers looking for, couldn't care really, I just thought they'd pic the picture they liked the most, can't it be that simple?

I won a silver medal at the PAGB National Print Championships yesterday, to me that is as big as winning this competition, I was in with the very top club photographers in the country, Wigan 10 won Btw, the judge gave me the medal because he simply liked my shot (delamere forest btw) that's all judging is, a personal preference not a political agenda

Well done Dave, images are fantastic, some of the best black and whites I have seen!

Don't worry about the bitchyness, that is the internet for you!

People will go above and beyond to try to discredit you when really they should be thinking about why your image won and learn from your success, these people should spend less time at the keyboard and more time behind a camera! :) (I would be but mine isn't here yet lol)

Also I don't think this should damage the competitions reputation at all unless Peters original image has won before.

Thanks Jon

Congratulations on the win. It's a very strong image and good that monochrome has featured so strongly. It's a real evocation of the location. (I managed to win the 'Your View' category - very surprised for this committed coast hugger).

I suspect that this is the start of a great journey for you!

Congrats again.

David

Thanks mate congratulations to you as well, are you going to london to get your award?

Cheers

Well I think that such excessive viewpoints are ridiculous and I expect you're big enough to completely discount them for the nonsense that they clearly are!

By equal measure, I hope that you appreciate the clear parallel's drawn between yours and Peter's images and why people question (same JPEG tho, WTF?!).
To be fair, and as I suggested in my previous, we go out shooting for various reasons, we're drawn to what we like. Do I, does anyone think you went to shoot those boats knowing you'd win LPOY? And when submitting you'd obviously pick your favourites, regardless of where they came from. Who wouldn't?

As I say, I think most people are questioning competition's decision not your motives. So I don't think you should be concerned personally (tho change in your website text raised hackles).

And congrats on double win! I do love your images, perhaps preferring your non-winners! :)

Thanks mate congratulations to you as well, are you going to london to get your award?

I will do. I'm in sunny Southampton, and get to London a fair deal in any event due to the 'proper job'.

Last edited:
Well I think that such excessive viewpoints are ridiculous and I expect you're big enough to completely discount them for the nonsense that they clearly are!

By equal measure, I hope that you appreciate the clear parallel's drawn between yours and Peter's images and why people question (same JPEG tho, WTF?!).
To be fair, and as I suggested in my previous, we go out shooting for various reasons, we're drawn to what we like. Do I, does anyone think you went to shoot those boats knowing you'd win LPOY? And when submitting you'd obviously pick your favourites, regardless of where they came from. Who wouldn't?

As I say, I think most people are questioning competition's decision not your motives. So I don't think you should be concerned personally (tho change in your website text raised hackles).

And congrats on double win! I do love your images, perhaps preferring your non-winners! :)

Isn't it strange that because I really didn't think it mattered this arose? If I'd have been subversive and not mentioned it none of this would have happened because it was only me putting his name on my blog that they knew of him, they would have never seen his photo it's not famous, it hadn't won major competitions but I obviously knew it would being the evil genius I am lol

Luckily the normal outway the weirdos by quite a number

I will do. I'm in sunny Southampton, and get to London a fair deal in any event due to the 'proper job'.

Cool ill see you there then mate

Dave,

Your images are sublime and are deserved winners.

I read Alex' post and he has not ingratiated himself in any way. He seems to think that to win you need to spend days in the open, I'm sure that wasn't a rule!

Yes your image is similar but in subject matter only. Your composition and PP are very much your own and that is why you have won.

Please do not let the words of a few, very jealous photographers spoil your winning. There are far more people who support you and think your work is outstanding.

Once again, congratulations and enjoy the prize giving.

Andy.

Thanks mate your comments are much appreciated

Thanks, yes I do find it difficult but my dad is a good photographer and I bounce ideas off him, also I get feedback off the forum too of course

Why not start another thread then to discuss this rather than pollute this one - can't we just congratulate Dave on his success :shrug:

Caroline

That Delamere Forest image is truly stunning. That is one of those I wish I had taken.

Congratulations’ Dave, some stunning photo’s there and a worthy winner. No.3 is amazing and well captured with the person walking. Would love to see No.2 in colour as well.

Thanks for the kind words

lol

Wow and double Wow

CONGRATULATIONS

I'm just going to put some Black and White film in my Rollei, feeling inspired now..

thanks trev

Dave, always been a fan of your work but these seem to be on another level, worthy winners.
The Delamere shot is one of the most stunning black and white images I've seen, I shall be attempting to copy it very soon. :D

Andy

Congratulations Dave, the winning shot is an absolute stunner. It's the first time I've seen your work but your monos are inspirational!

One of my entries was commended and made it into the book and exhibition so I'll be there on Nov 12th, looking forward to seeing these and all the others in print

Last edited:
Dave, always been a fan of your work but these seem to be on another level, worthy winners.
The Delamere shot is one of the most stunning black and white images I've seen, I shall be attempting to copy it very soon. :D

Andy

Brilliant! i'd love to see the results, thanks :D

Congratulations Dave, the winning shot is an absolute stunner. It's the first time I've seen your work but your monos are inspirational!

One of my entries was commended and made it into the book and exhibition so I'll be there on Nov 12th, looking forward to seeing these and all the others in print

Great news I look forward to meeting the people who got in (y)

fantastic, i saw the shot of the boats in the metro this morning and thought wow, then i come on here to see that a mamber of this forum is the winner..

Double wow.....

Stuning shots and well deserved. I am amazed at the bitterness displayed by some but to be honest do they not say that jealosy is a form of complement...or some bull like that.

Anyways, when i saw your shot i thought it made me thinsk about heading off this weekend to grab some B&W landscapes as
1 thats what im into at the moment, and
2 great work by others makes me want to be better at what i do.

Inspirational stuff ......

Congratulations again(y)

fantastic, i saw the shot of the boats in the metro this morning and thought wow, then i come on here to see that a mamber of this forum is the winner..

Double wow.....

Stuning shots and well deserved. I am amazed at the bitterness displayed by some but to be honest do they not say that jealosy is a form of complement...or some bull like that.

Anyways, when i saw your shot i thought it made me thinsk about heading off this weekend to grab some B&W landscapes as
1 thats what im into at the moment, and
2 great work by others makes me want to be better at what i do.

Inspirational stuff ......

Congratulations again(y)

absolutely! ive only been toggin' seriously for 2 years i take inspiration from everywhere, im still learning, thanks mate

2 years eh....Fantastic.......

It just goes to show that if you put the effort in then its possible.

The only problem i find is making enough time.

All the best and enjoy the rewards.

If you are ever in essex give me a shout

(y)

Awesome images. You inspire a newbie like me to keep trying. Talent indeed! Respect

Thanks Mike, half of it is just making yourself get out there and take some pics! strange but true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back