I feel very guilty not posting any of my pictures

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been fascinated by the Macro section, increasingly over the past month, or so, but feel guilty enjoying all the fantastic shots & paying compliments but alas none from me so I need to explain why not. Apart from serious mobility issues (wheelchair user outside the house) I have a number of other serious health issues & to give a simple example of my frustration - I bought my DSLR at Christmas & two lens over the following month & the first time the camera has been outside the house was in the last few days as I have been too poorly to get out.

So that's my confession NOT for sympathy but if were reading all my posts I'd be thinking he's a lot to say but no image input to make - so now you know :)

John I feel for you, it must be extremely frustrating not being able to fully participate in the forums and taking shots. I am sure there will be no members on here whom feel anything but sympathy and understanding for your situation. Being disabled myself, partially sighted, also restricts me in my photography. Now the weather is improving as your health is, I hope, then let us hope you can get out a lot more. Why not ask friends/relatives if they can find you subject matter and set up a table top studio for the macro work? Hope your situation continues to improve John.

Steve

You don't have to go outside to take interesting Macro stuff.:)

Brash WOW & WOW again - yes that's why I've ben taking closer looks at the Macro, People & Creative to see where I can go (y)

DON'T FEEL GUILTY!

You contribute what you are able to the forums and if you're unable at the moment to take photos, your (valuable) contributions will just have to be the written word rather than photographs.

Hopefully over the coming warmer months you'll be able to get out and about - I'll even offer my services as chauffeur and chair pusher on occasion!

Hi John

I spent some time in a chair and I know that they're not great for photography - but if I can help with setting up stuff just give me a shout - I'm only in Kingsteignton.

Edit - and his Nodness just beat me to it!

cheers, cw

Last edited:
Brash WOW & WOW again - yes that's why I've ben taking closer looks at the Macro, People & Creative to see where I can go (y)

That stuffs a piece of cake and very satisfying too.

Hi Daydreamer
No need to feel guilty, if it wasn't for guys like you then there would be no point in others putting anything up for comment. Be glad to see some of your pics when your good and ready but in the meantime keep commenting please, good or bad.
Regards
Chris

John your replies is contribution enough and when you feel up to putting shots up I'm sure they will be warmly received by all. Hope you start feeling better soon. As Brash says, many ways to take macro without going outside if you feel up to it.

John, as someone you regularly post comments on I have never questioned your situation. Does it bother me you dont have shots to show hell no it dont matter. You always are constructive in your comments and sometimes funny or both. Thats not to say I'm not interested in what you can produce.

And as everyone else comments above I whole heartly :agree:

You can even get bugs all be it dead from ebay to practice in the house as I know you like them.

I go along with everything said here - and definitely no need for guilt. Absolutely none. Your contributions are helping to keep this forum ticking over nicely, and for that thank you John.

Brash has already suggested one sort of indoor closeups which can produce stunning results, and droplet photography (don't know if that's the right words for it) might be another. I don't know what your options will be out of doors as Spring turns to summer, but there are some fascinating/beautiful botanical subjects on a small scale that you might find accessible - small flowers, buds, berries, husks, fungi and lichen - either in situ or taken indoors to work with. Once you get your eye in for small stuff you tend to see much more than you ever noticed before.

Another thing I'm thinking is that scenes don't necessary pop into view just by looking around for them - I find I have to explore with the camera, trying things and seeing how they come out, because the camera doesn't "see" things the way we do, and what's more it can see things that we simply can't make out with our own eyes because they are too small, and can look from places and in directions that we can't get to.

On which score, do you have an articulated screen on your camera? This might get us into a controversial area, but FWIW I almost always use live view and all my cameras have articulated screens. This lets me get some angles that simply aren't possible using a viewfinder (not without an angle viewer at least), and many angles that would be very difficult/tiring/wet/muddy/motivation-quashing to get using a viewfinder.

This does depend though on having a camera which has a usable live view mode. (The reason I only recently got a dSLR was that the 70D was the first one that seemed, as far as I could tell from reading about it, to have a decent live view implementation.) This in turn leads me to the heretical question as to whether a dSLR is, given your mobility issues, the best tool for the job as far as closeups go. What I'm thinking is that I can capture images one-handed with my FZ200, which lets me stretch and lean into places that I couldn't get to otherwise, and while stretched out, and also one-handed, zoom to change the magnification and framing, and alter the aperture and ISO, and see the effects on the articulated LCD. Not necessarily a bridge camera of course - there are other small. light, flexible options these days. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your health issues.

I'm delighted to have your input, regardless.

Thanks Simon I must admit my guilt I lessoned s I do feel I make written contributions to most of the Macro new threads & all those from the regulars like you (y)

John I feel for you, it must be extremely frustrating not being able to fully participate in the forums and taking shots. I am sure there will be no members on here whom feel anything but sympathy and understanding for your situation. Being disabled myself, partially sighted, also restricts me in my photography. Now the weather is improving as your health is, I hope, then let us hope you can get out a lot more. Why not ask friends/relatives if they can find you subject matter and set up a table top studio for the macro work? Hope your situation continues to improve John.

Steve

Steve thanks for your support - I am better than I was this time two years ago but I am very accepting of my limitations - I read many of your supportive posts so good for you (y)

DON'T FEEL GUILTY!

You contribute what you are able to the forums and if you're unable at the moment to take photos, your (valuable) contributions will just have to be the written word rather than photographs.

Hopefully over the coming warmer months you'll be able to get out and about - I'll even offer my services as chauffeur and chair pusher on occasion!

Always a pleasure to see you in the flesh & you showing me your kit - camera kit that is as I've not changed sides :p

If you get to Totnes is it my round for the coffee :thinking:

John your replies is contribution enough and when you feel up to putting shots up I'm sure they will be warmly received by all. Hope you start feeling better soon. As Brash says, many ways to take macro without going outside if you feel up to it.

Alby yes thanks for what you are saying - I find my outlet, if I can't take them, is to read/write on TP & fiddle with any shots I have taken but I usually end up getting carried away with the sliders :eek:

John, as someone you regularly post comments on I have never questioned your situation. Does it bother me you dont have shots to show hell no it dont matter. You always are constructive in your comments and sometimes funny or both. Thats not to say I'm not interested in what you can produce.

And as everyone else comments above I whole heartly :agree:

You can even get bugs all be it dead from ebay to practice in the house as I know you like them.

Bryn you're most kind & I do follow all your threads with great interest :clap:

I go along with everything said here - and definitely no need for guilt. Absolutely none. Your contributions are helping to keep this forum ticking over nicely, and for that thank you John.

Brash has already suggested one sort of indoor closeups which can produce stunning results, and droplet photography (don't know if that's the right words for it) might be another. I don't know what your options will be out of doors as Spring turns to summer, but there are some fascinating/beautiful botanical subjects on a small scale that you might find accessible - small flowers, buds, berries, husks, fungi and lichen - either in situ or taken indoors to work with. Once you get your eye in for small stuff you tend to see much more than you ever noticed before.

Another thing I'm thinking is that scenes don't necessary pop into view just by looking around for them - I find I have to explore with the camera, trying things and seeing how they come out, because the camera doesn't "see" things the way we do, and what's more it can see things that we simply can't make out with our own eyes because they are too small, and can look from places and in directions that we can't get to.

On which score, do you have an articulated screen on your camera? This might get us into a controversial area, but FWIW I almost always use live view and all my cameras have articulated screens. This lets me get some angles that simply aren't possible using a viewfinder (not without an angle viewer at least), and many angles that would be very difficult/tiring/wet/muddy/motivation-quashing to get using a viewfinder.

This does depend though on having a camera which has a usable live view mode. (The reason I only recently got a dSLR was that the 70D was the first one that seemed, as far as I could tell from reading about it, to have a decent live view implementation.) This in turn leads me to the heretical question as to whether a dSLR is, given your mobility issues, the best tool for the job as far as closeups go. What I'm thinking is that I can capture images one-handed with my FZ200, which lets me stretch and lean into places that I couldn't get to otherwise, and while stretched out, and also one-handed, zoom to change the magnification and framing, and alter the aperture and ISO, and see the effects on the articulated LCD. Not necessarily a bridge camera of course - there are other small. light, flexible options these days. Just a thought.

Nick - really without making others feel lesser togs it was your threads that made me start looking at Macro so you to blame/thank.

My camera is a Nikon D5100 which has a fully flippy screen as did one of my last compact cameras the Nikon P7700 & for me it is invaluable. I have like you owned & dropped/broken a Canon SX10 & a Lumix FZ18 which was passed on to my son. In the last two years I've lost count with other compacts Fuji X10, Panasonic TZ's, Sony HX20 but my other camera is a Canon G15.

Thank you for your thoughts/suggestion which, like your posts, make me think as well as the enjoyment of reading them :)

I really hope John we have put your mind at ease.

Now for the threat I will contact you if I'm ever in the devon area ;):sneaky: lol

Keep commenting and being you.... thats all we ask.

You know i hadn't even thought along the lines of you not posting.... You give Les grief, that is enough for me:D ( actually so do i too)...

Seriously though, chill, it's no biggy that you don't post and as said above your input in itself is great, i've only just started coming into this part of the forum a more hoping to get my mojo back and it's thanks to guys like you that it's working, but i do totally get where you are coming from with health issues, i have awful joint /back/nerve issues it seriously gets in the way and can kill any thoughts of wanting or being able to get out...

As said do not feel guilty... simply put there is no need:hug:

I really hope John we have put your mind at ease.

Now for the threat I will contact you if I'm ever in the devon area ;):sneaky: lol

Keep commenting and being you.... thats all we ask.

Thanks Bryn - I'm good at getting out every day for my coffee & driving the staff at the coffee shop mad with my non stop chatter (y)

You know i hadn't even thought along the lines of you not posting.... You give Les grief, that is enough for me:D ( actually so do i too)...

Seriously though, chill, it's no biggy that you don't post and as said above your input in itself is great, i've only just started coming into this part of the forum a more hoping to get my mojo back and it's thanks to guys like you that it's working, but i do totally get where you are coming from with health issues, i have awful joint /back/nerve issues it seriously gets in the way and can kill any thoughts of wanting or being able to get out...

As said do not feel guilty... simply put there is no need:hug:

Thanks T & yes let's keep on giving Les a bit more grief - sounds an excellent idea :D

Hi John

I spent some time in a chair and I know that they're not great for photography - but if I can help with setting up stuff just give me a shout - I'm only in Kingsteignton.

Edit - and his Nodness just beat me to it!

cheers, cw

Chris thanks for your offer - it is most kind & why this is such a great place to hang out :)

So John, on to more important things, which coffee shop does it for you?

cheers, cw

In Totnes it's The Waterside on the Plains so if you get this way I'd be happy to buy you a coffee (y)

Nothing more to add to what already been said, John. I hadn't even noticed that you hadn't posted

Keep giving Les a grilling :woot:

When Les reads this thread a few of us may be in trouble but we can gang up on him but he's no girls blouse (so he says o_O)

Thanks for your kind words (y)

Lets get the pink leotard ones attention @Lez325 are you there?

Enough of us to feel safe unless he gets his 12 guage out ;)

Ooooo rrrr missus :exit:

Last edited:
Plans could be afoot...

Will be in touch.

You may note I always tend to tag my threads with the prefix "critique." I think we all critique on peoples threads as a matter of course (not really sure what other reasons there are for posting images to forums) but I add the label in case anyone is in doubt that I am open to critique. That is true for critique from someone who has years of experience of shooting macro or someone who has never picked up a camera before (although admittedly they may be a rarity on this forum). My point is, as long as you offer honest feedback about what you like or don't like about an image, I am able to learn from you, regardless of if you have any experience in trying to produce similar images yourself.

The other thing I love about sharing images is the possibility of sharing something that others may not have seen before or, at least, in a way to which they may not have previously seen it. This is one of the main attractions to me about macro photography, it was opening up new worlds I hadn't even noticed existed and I really enjoyed showing others what I had discovered.. So in a round about way, you not being able to get and and see these things for yourself at the moment, adds more value to what I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's good you are stuck indoors, but hopefully you understand what I am trying to say ;)

I must confess I had wondered why you, who seem so enthusiastic and encouraging of our little obsession, hadn't yet been out to try your hand at it. I just figured it would something you would do when time allowed, but now it makes more sense. I just wish you a speedy recovery from your current illness and you are feeling up to experimenting with some of the possibilities of macro soon. Don't rush it though, the bugs aren't going anywhere. They'll be around long after we are, so they say...

John it seems to me you are an essential cog in the machine that is talkphotography, it is your feedback/appreciation which encourages me and probably others to do more.

:beer: so cheers to you ! and good luck with your recovery.

Why on earth would you feel guilty? Please don't ... There's absolutely no need.

To me, the whole point of forums like these is that they are a community of very different people who happen to have something in common. And they are there for members to participate however much they chose or are able, in whatever way feels right for them. There aren't any rules (as far as I know) that say you have to post your own images, just because you choose to comment on the work of others. Your opinions are always welcome, I'm sure.

Just keep participating in the forum in whichever way feels right for you.

I hope your health issues start to improve and that, as the weather gets better, you are able to get out more and enjoy your hobby. All the best .....

Sara

Back