I won't be waving a Green Flag . . .

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
My car broke down yesterday, Green Flag were supposed to recover it but still hadn't after 5 1/2 hours. I want to email a complaint to them but they don't publish their complaints email address - perhaps they get too many? So, snail mail it is. Here's the relevant part of my letter, as a warning to others.

I needed breakdown recovery yesterday, because the clutch had failed on my car, and I telephoned you at about 15.45. I gave your operator my What3Words location, which she said was perfect. She told me that I would be recovered by John Macadam & son, who would text me with their ETA.

I then found and phoned a garage that can repair my car. They told me that they would be open until about 1830 and that the recovery driver could drop my car off there, about 5 miles nearer than my destination. As they would be open for about another 2 ½ hours, this was the obvious solution, as there should have been plenty of time.

John Macadam didn’t text me, and I rang Green Flag again at 17.49. The operator confirmed that the job had been passed to Mcadams and that he would chase them. They rang me at 17.48, said that they would be there soon and would text me, and I received a text stating that the recovery truck was due to arrive by 19.30. It didn’t, but Macadams rang me at 1927 to say that there had been a delay and that I would be recovered “in about half an hour”. I spoke to a helpful woman there and told her that I am an insulin-dependent diabetic and was becoming concerned because I should have eaten half an hour earlier. She told me that she understood completely and would keep a close eye on my recovery and would keep me informed. She didn’t.

I carry a couple of biscuits in my car in case a situation like this arises, I ate them and my blood sugar level then improved a bit.

I received a voicemail message from someone called Hassan at Macadams asking me to ring him, which I did at 2043. Hassan wasn’t available and I spoke to Ian, who told me that the problem was due to their driver being unable to unload his previous recovery but that this would be completed in about 8 minutes and the driver was only 22 minutes away, so I should expect him at about 2115, and that the driver would ring me when he was about to set off. He also said that Hassan would ring me, but of course he didn't. I repeated my health problem to Ian, who said that he would get the driver to buy some food on the way – by this time my blood sugar level had dropped and was approaching a dangerous level but I thought that I could last another half hour. Like all insulin-dependent diabetics I carry a supply of Lucozade, in case of emergency, and this helped, but all that it can do is to temporarily stop me from losing consciousness, I still needed food. By this time my focus had changed, my car still needed recovery but it was my health situation that needed to be remedied urgently.

Finally, the driver rang me at 2119 and said that he would arrive in between 40 and 60 minutes. I told him that I didn’t believe him (because Ian had told me that he was only 22 minutes away, only one or neither of them could have been telling me the truth) and I told him to cancel. By this time I was in a dangerous health situation, I phoned a friend, who reached me in 25 minutes, gave me some food and towed me to my destination.

This standard of “service” is appalling, it placed me in danger and has also cost me money because if the breakdown truck had arrived in a reasonable time my car would have been taken to a garage that was on the way to my destination. I now have to pay them to recover it.

I appreciate that Green Flag appears to have acted correctly and that the cause of all of the problems seems to point to Macadams, but of course, my contract is with you and you are responsible for the actions of your own contractors. I await your reply.

I used to be with green flag many years ago, I used them once and they were pretty good way back then, they came out pretty quick.

Things must have gone down hill since then. Not with them now thankfully, if that is how things are now.

I was with them for a bit. I stupidly left the interior light on in my car when parked at standsted for a week.

No worries, I thought, there is a green flag truck over there, I’ll ask him for a jump start..

Walk over and talk to the driver and I’m met with essentially, a computer says no situation. “I have to ring up and book it in”
Hes literally stood there with a jump pack in his hands 50 feet away from my car.

Anyway, I ring up, explain and they say they’ll send someone out. I repeated, there is already a bloke here sat doing nothing as he’d finished with the other car.. nope, I had to wait 45 minutes for them to send another lorry out with a jump pack, whilst the other bloke was sat there the entire time looking on his phone.

I was with them for a bit. I stupidly left the interior light on in my car when parked at standsted for a week.

No worries, I thought, there is a green flag truck over there, I’ll ask him for a jump start..

Walk over and talk to the driver and I’m met with essentially, a computer says no situation. “I have to ring up and book it in”
Hes literally stood there with a jump pack in his hands 50 feet away from my car.

Anyway, I ring up, explain and they say they’ll send someone out. I repeated, there is already a bloke here sat doing nothing as he’d finished with the other car.. nope, I had to wait 45 minutes for them to send another lorry out with a jump pack, whilst the other bloke was sat there the entire time looking on his phone.
I had a car that the battery used to keep going flat, in the days I was hard up and had to wait to be able to buy another battery.
I used to connect jump leads to the battery with the bonnet wide open, stand at the side of the road looking sad. Somebody would always stop, and give me a jump start.

I would always stop for others, and did the same. ;)

Last edited:
Social media is far better. Stick it all on their face book page.

A lot of the recovery firms contract out the vehicle recovery bit you are relying on the same small group of drivers and vehicles. It's a weak point with all of them.

It's poor to leave someone for so many hours.

I had a car that the battery used to keep going flat, in the days I was hard up and had to wait to be able to buy another battery.
I used to connect jump leads to the battery with the bonnet wide open, stand at the side of the road looking sad. Somebody would always stop, and give me a jump start.

I would always stop for others, who did the same. ;)
Aye, now I carry jump leads, battery pack, tow ropes, shackles, the lot. I help people and people help me, but this was years ago before all that.

Social media is far better. Stick it all on their face book page.

A lot of the recovery firms contract out the vehicle recovery bit you are relying on the same small group of drivers and vehicles. It's a weak point with all of them.

It's poor to leave someone for so many hours.
Good idea, I've now done that, let's see if they just delete it or actually deal with it.
Aye, now I carry jump leads, battery pack, tow ropes, shackles, the lot. I help people and people help me, but this was years ago before all that.
I'm the same, heavy off-roader with heavy duty tools, winch, ropes, straps, shackles and snatch blocks, comes in useful sometimes.

My wife broke down last bank holiday Monday and I’m with green flag and I contacted them and they were great, she was over an hour away when she rang me and less than 2 hours later she was on the drive, I thought on a bank holiday Monday that was pretty impressive.

but they don't publish their complaints email address - perhaps they get too many? So, snail mail it is. Here's the relevant part of my letter, as a warning to others.
I've mentioned many times, if I have a serious compliant I go straight to the CEO's office.
I've never been ignored yet...
Curiously when I surceased for the CEO of green flag,
although the CEO's names were there, not one contact point was related to "green flag"
However the names and contacts are all listed here

My wife broke down last bank holiday Monday and I’m with green flag and I contacted them and they were great, she was over an hour away when she rang me and less than 2 hours later she was on the drive, I thought on a bank holiday Monday that was pretty impressive.

Recovery firms prioritise women (and vulnerable people), especially if they are alone or with children. And rightfully so.

I've mentioned many times, if I have a serious compliant I go straight to the CEO's office.
I've never been ignored yet...
Curiously when I surceased for the CEO of green flag,
although the CEO's names were there, not one contact point was related to "green flag"
However the names and contacts are all listed here

Yes, that's my usual approach too, but they've taken care to keep his email addy suppressed.
They give priority to lone women and I don't have a problem with that.

So does Handy Cock...

I have used them for several years, fortunately nothing serious and they have been fine, apart from trying to sell me a new battery when it was not necessary. Depends who they sub-contract to. My local independent garage was not impressed with the deal GF offered.

I've been with green flag for a long time and used them a few times, always been good, a couple of times with Macadams'a and once with a van that actually had Green Flag on it although they are just an insurance firm and don't run their own recovery vehicles.

It's likely you'll get the usual response of 99.8 percent of our breakdowns are reached in xyz minutes - and that you must have been the exception - for which they are very sorry and will knock a fiver off your renewal, or some such similar drivel. It'll be interesting to see how they respond, and how far you're able to get pursuing your complaint, which appears genuinely justified. You gave them ample opportunity, plenty of information, lots of patience, and they still failed to deliver.

It is annoying when you are with certain breakdown recovery companies, you may have been with them for many years, and paying a hell of a lot of money. If you call them out above a certain number of times, they will refuse to come out to any over a certain count. Or have they changed over the years?

I'm with Gren Flag. Had to call them out a couple of times over the years, both times my car had a flat battery. On one occasion the guy got me started and then followed me to Halfords where I bought a new battery and he fitted it for me!

There was a time when breakdown services treated it's members with respect, and would even salute you or give you a wave if they spotted your members badge.
But now they treat members as a nuisance and inconvenience that costs them time and money. They are a bit like insurance companies, they love taking money off you, for the possibility you may need help in the future, but do not like it when you do ask for that help. :mad:

and would even salute you or give you a wave if they spotted your members badge.
Folklore has it that the salute was a warning of a hidden police car ..
No idea if its true though.

I was was with AA assist while driving a van. ( 24 hour call out for commercial vehicles)
Strike 1 I had need of their services so I phoned them this would have been about 05:30 the recorded message said
we are open at 09:30 please call back then!
I phoned a few times after in case someone had forgot to turn off the recorded message,
or maybe it kicks in when they are busy...
But no, 09:30 on the dot I got an answer WTF!
When I gave an accurate location, they said when have you at XX that was 10 miles behind me!
to be fair they turned up about 30 mins later, and it was a simple issue so sorted it in 20 mins.

Strike 2, I broke down about 50 miles from home, in the van. No problem in getting through this time it was about mid day.
yes sir we'll be with you in about 4 hours! WTF?
( both of these happened in the second lock down)
Oh and BTW if your vehicle needs towing we can't take you, you will need to find your own way home!
I was pretty much in the middle of nowhere at the time.

I phoned the office and explained, I then phoned the garage that I / we used for servicing and they sent out a tow truck.
he turned up a couple of hours later, well I was about 50 miles from there and he got lost :D

I have heard that one often too. But back in the day, how often would you have seen a speed trap? The RAC was formed in 1897 , so possibly talking 1900s or 1920s maybe, when people where more polite and respectful, or where we back then?

But back in the day, how often would you have seen a speed trap? The RAC was formed in 1897 , so possibly talking 1900s or 1920s maybe, when people where more polite and respectful, or where we back then?
It seems its not folklore after all,
And motorists were being targeted almost from day one ....
Curiously from the AA web site

Police speed traps and the AA salute
The use of motor cars was initially met with hostility, suspicion and resentment – they were noisy and dirty, and alarmed horses.

Motor cars were initially classed as 'locomotives' (under the Locomotives on Highways Acts 1865) and their speed was limited to 4 miles an hour. They had to be preceded by a footman carrying a red flag.

By 1878 each 'locomotive' had to be preceded at least twenty yards by a person required to assist horses in passing the locomotive, but he no longer had to carry a red flag.

This law was repealed in 1897, with the Locomotives on Highways Act 1896, and the speed limit increased to 14 miles an hour.

The Motor Car Act of 1903 stipulated a speed limit of twenty miles an hour.

Early enforcement

The police forces of the day enforced the new speed limit with such vigour and enthusiasm that it was tantamount to persecution.

A trio of officers would choose a rural stretch of straight road and hide in the bushes waiting for the unwary driver.

• Two plain-clothes policemen would station themselves a measured furlong apart.
  • The first would use a white hanky to signal an approaching motorist and the second used a stop-watch to time the motorist over the furlong.
  • As little as 2 miles over the limit was sufficient for the trap to be sprung, and the third, uniformed officer, was on hand to signal an offending motorist to stop.
Penalties imposed by unsympathetic Count Magistrates were harsh. The usual fine was £5 – equal to a month's wages – with the alternative of 4 weeks in jail.

Called 'hedge-hogs' by the early day drivers, this zealous police persecution was killing the new era of motoring.

It seems its not folklore after all,
And motorists were being targeted almost from day one ....
Curiously from the AA web site

Police speed traps and the AA salute
The use of motor cars was initially met with hostility, suspicion and resentment – they were noisy and dirty, and alarmed horses.

Motor cars were initially classed as 'locomotives' (under the Locomotives on Highways Acts 1865) and their speed was limited to 4 miles an hour. They had to be preceded by a footman carrying a red flag.

By 1878 each 'locomotive' had to be preceded at least twenty yards by a person required to assist horses in passing the locomotive, but he no longer had to carry a red flag.

This law was repealed in 1897, with the Locomotives on Highways Act 1896, and the speed limit increased to 14 miles an hour.

The Motor Car Act of 1903 stipulated a speed limit of twenty miles an hour.

Early enforcement

The police forces of the day enforced the new speed limit with such vigour and enthusiasm that it was tantamount to persecution.

A trio of officers would choose a rural stretch of straight road and hide in the bushes waiting for the unwary driver.

• Two plain-clothes policemen would station themselves a measured furlong apart.
  • The first would use a white hanky to signal an approaching motorist and the second used a stop-watch to time the motorist over the furlong.
  • As little as 2 miles over the limit was sufficient for the trap to be sprung, and the third, uniformed officer, was on hand to signal an offending motorist to stop.
Penalties imposed by unsympathetic Count Magistrates were harsh. The usual fine was £5 – equal to a month's wages – with the alternative of 4 weeks in jail.

Called 'hedge-hogs' by the early day drivers, this zealous police persecution was killing the new era of motoring.

Reminds me of the Will Hay film, Ask A Policeman. One of the funniest films I have ever seen. :)

My clutch went last year. Luckily for me I was right in the centre of town and I managed to roll straight into a parking space as all the shops were shut. Normally if a clutch goes (I've had it happen several times in the past), I'd just drive home or to the garage by stop/starting at junctions. However, on this occasion it had seized completely and the engine wouldn't turn over.

The time was just after 1800 - I'd gone to pick up a kebab for dinner. I called and told them of the breakdown and explained that I was a wheelchair user. 'No problem, we'll get someone to you within the hour.' Three and a half hours later the truck finally turned up. The driver said 'Ah! You're in a wheelchair.' 'Yes', I said, 'I did explain this to the operator.' 'Well sir, are you able to get out of your chair and climb up into the cab?' :banghead:

Anyway, they couldn't/wouldn't allow me to travel in my car while it was being towed and the only option was for them to take the car and get me a taxi home. After another two hour wait and several phone calls back and forward, but they couldn't get a taxi that would take me in a wheelchair with an Assistance Dog.

In the end, I got the last bus home at around 2330 to find my car dumped askew in my parking space with a note saying they would be back the following day to take it to the garage of my choice. I'd already told them which garage to take it to. :facepalm:

Incompetence abounds - and it's getting worse. :mad:

There was a time when breakdown services treated it's members with respect, and would even salute you or give you a wave if they spotted your members badge.
They are a bit like insurance companies, they love taking money off you, for the possibility you may need help in the future, but do not like it when you do ask for that help. :mad:
(Snipped a little for brevity!)
(Again, snipped!)

From what a friend (retired AA patrolman) of my Grandfather told us when we were kids, they were supposed to salute members and should they fail to do so, members were advised to stop and ask why. The usual reason was that there was a policeman looking for speeders a bit further on. As now, indicating to someone that there's a speed trap round the corner was regarded as something like perverting the course of justice or obstructing an officer in performing his duties but answering the question "Why no salute?" with the advice was a different matter!

The reason they're a bit like insurance companies is that the "membership" is now an insurance policy against breaking down.

They have, to their credit, now made the expected response on facebook.
"
  • Garry Edwards
    Appalling service. I needed breakdown recovery yesterday, because the clutch had failed on my car, and I telephoned you at about 15.45. I gave your operator my What3Words location, which she said was perfect. She told me that I would be recovered by Jo…
    See more

• ·
  • · 16 h

• 8iuTX4LlGZO.png
    Author
    Green Flag

Good morning Garry. We're truly sorry to hear you were left waiting so long to be recovered. This isn't the level of service we aim to provide, and we'd like to look into why this happened. Can you please send us a private message with your car reg using the link below?
    m.me/greenflaguk

89967939_1273942236138545_3014768584514600960_n.png

Green Flag
    Emergency roadside service

• ·
  • · 3 h

• Active

Garry Edwards
    I would prefer to avoid using private messaging. As an alternative, please supply me with the email address of your complaints department (which you do not publish) and we can then do things properly, with a proper written record.

I generally take out out breakdown cover with my insurers and they've recently changed from Green Flag to the RAC.
I had a clutch fail and the exhaust fell off on another car and I have to say I thought Green Flag were excellent.
With my current car, a couple of years ago I called them as it wouldn't start which turned out to the battery.
The mechanic had a brand new Bosch battery and I thought the price was reasonable.
Many moons ago when I had an Eunos Roadster (imported version of the MX-5), the power steering belt snapped and athough he never had the correct belt in his stock, the Green Flag mechanic was able to get another belt fitted so that I could drive home.
I've had my beef with plenty of companies over the years and the best two have been Green Flag and Amazon.
With regard to what happened to you, being an insulin dependent diabetic should have rung warning bells from the start

As an alternative, please supply me with the email address of your complaints department (which you do not publish) and we can then do things properly, with a proper written record
I suggest that they want to keep it on FB, ( by PM) as, if they send you an email address, I guess they are worried that you would share it. ...
Of couldn't would you?

:D

Last edited:
A wider thought just struck me.....

Because Green Flag in many cases use contracted third parties to provide the roadside service......and some are dire has reminded me of of the reports about My Hermes service. As in, some folk report that their "local courier" is great but others are awful ~ for sure it seems the GF central operations leave something to be desired but the roadside operator is the one who fails or shines!

Because Green Flag in many cases use contracted third parties to provide the roadside service......and some are dire has reminded me of of the reports about My Hermes service. As in, some folk report that their "local courier" is great but others are awful ~ for sure it seems the GF central operations leave something to be desired but the roadside operator is the one who fails or shines!
Yes.. And no doubt, when Green Flag reply to me they will blame the contractor - but it is THEIR contractor, and no doubt if they were prepared to pay enough they could get a contractor that had sufficient resources to do the job well.

Which reminds me of a good response from Green Flag (then called National Breakdown) over 3o years ago, but which nearly went horribly wrong . . . My partner visited me in London, before we got together properly. Her small van broke down, Green Flag turned up very quickly with a very large breakdown truck that could have transported a lorry and recovered her back to Bradford. After a couple of hours on the M1 she saw that the driver was heading straight for the central barrier. She grabbed the wheel, got it on to the hard shoulder and the driver woke up and eventually stopped. He explained that he had worked a 14 hour shift when he had attended her breakdown. She changed seats with him and all was well.

When she told me about it the next day I commented that I didn't know that she held a Class 2 licence. She didn't, and didn't know what a class 2 licence was :)

I was with the AA a good few years ago, and I needed help as my vehicle broke down. I was surprised when Green Flag turned up instead. It seems the AA had asked them to attend, as they had no patrols free.

Update.
Green flag have now offered to pay the cost of recovery from my home to the repair garage, and £100 as an apology/compensation.

Update.
Green flag have now offered to pay the cost of recovery from my home to the repair garage, and £100 as an apology/compensation.

Sounds like possibly reasonable offer but all folks come under YMMV. Personally I would welcome (in your shoes) a written acknowledgement that the delay was not just an inconvenience but had impending health implications for you.

In regard to the apparent policy of all(?) roadside assistance services of treating lone women (with young children(?) ) as priorities......and that you were advised to call an ambulance if you felt the need.....is like "them" telling lone women to dial 999 and ask for Police assistance is they are worried.

The roadside assistance companies need to recognise where they fall short and show some signs of positive change where found wanting.

My car broke down yesterday, Green Flag were supposed to recover it but still hadn't after 5 1/2 hours. I want to email a complaint to them but they don't publish their complaints email address - perhaps they get too many? So, snail mail it is. Here's the relevant part of my letter, as a warning to others.

Really sorry to read about your dreadfull ..well, infact, life-threatening...experience, Garry. My blood was boiling as I read on. Having made them aware of your medical condition you should have been priorotised. Maybe even get another recovery garage involved once it was realised that Macadams hadn't responded. Communication is a big thing with me and I recall a work colleague telling me that "I worry too much" I'd been asked to do a job for another colleague.When I received the request I acknowledged it. I gave updates and my colleague said that when he saw me phone the other colleague to tell him that the requested paperwork was on its way to him in the internal post.

That recovery company should have been in touch with you right through it. Fortunately, you were able to get a friend to bring you sustenance and live to tell us the sorry tale.

I've just had a look at ratings for Green Flag..including Which ? and they come ahead of the AA and RAC.

Last edited:
Really sorry to read about your dreadfull ..well, infact, life-threatening...experience, Garry. My blood was boiling as I read on. Having made them aware of your medical condition you should have been priorotised. Maybe even get another recovery garage involved once it was realised that Macadams hadn't responded. Communication is a big thing with me and I recall a work colleague telling me that "I worry too much" I'd been asked to do a job for another colleague.When I received the request I acknowledged it. I gave updates and my colleague said that when he saw me phone the other colleague to tell him that the requested paperwork was on its way to him in the internal post.

That recovery company should have been in touch with you right through it. Fortunately, you were able to get a friend to bring you sustenance and live to tell us the sorry tale.

I've just had a look at ratings for Green Flag..including Which ? and they come ahead of the AA and RAC.
I feel that I was very badly let down, and it's Green Flag that's responsible because they contracted out the work to MacAdam's, but it was Macadam's that constantly lied to me and who put me in that dangerous situation, not Green Flag.
I spoke to Green Flag just twice, the first time to tell them that I needed recovery and the second time to check that the job had been passed on to their contractor (having heard nothing from them). To be fair, if I had phoned Green Flag a third time, told them that Macadam's weren't doing their job and were lying to me then they probably would have done something, but I didn't - mainly because it took me too long to realise that Macadam's seem to spend more on office wallahs lying to customers and not enough on trucks.

I'm hoping that Green Flag will take this seriously and have very strong words with Macadam, which with luck may mean that they don't treat other people the same way.

I feel that I was very badly let down, and it's Green Flag that's responsible because they contracted out the work to MacAdam's, but it was Macadam's that constantly lied to me and who put me in that dangerous situation, not Green Flag.
Precisely. The contractor was not able to fulfil the contract in a timely manner, In this case, although the root cause lies with McAdams, it is Green Flag that vetted the contractor. I'd expect McAdams to be dropped by Green flat after this very serious incident, which involves lying to customer.

My single use of RAC for flatbed was luckily slightly better. My pregnant wife and I were stranded 150 miles away at my parents house after a weekend away and discovering a puddle of water under the car, complete engine pump failure, zero water left. A stream of water leak can be seen whenever water was topped up. It was discovered on Sunday afternoon, we decided to call RAC on Monday to get it flatbedded closer to home (I have national relay). Called first thing in the morning, took RAC 1 hour to get here.........to confirm the leak, to confirm what I told them on the phone. Then 3 more hours for contractor to arrive. Waited another 1 hour at a services car park to swap to a different flatbed. Called before 9am, got to garage after they had closed, ~6pm and home ~7pm. 9 hours for what's normally a 3 hour drive.

I'm now with AutoAid, who got a contractor to come out and jump start my ICE car in Brighton. Somehow battery was flat due to light left on in the cabin, shouldn't have been a problem in modern cars, buggy car manufacturer's software to blame. The contractor arrived just ~30min after my call. May be flatbed takes long to arrange, or may be those companies who have a fleet use cheaper + worse contractors........

Back