ID Confirmation (no Critique needed!)

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
I ventured out to a new (to me) hide this afternoon, was after work so getting late in the day and light was fading fast.

In the hide with me were 3 chaps who were (very) clearly avid 'birders'.
And as it seems, travel around the country to tick them off their list :thinking:

Anyway, as I sat quietly with the sigmonster hanging out of the hide window I heard them saying how they had missed this and missed that.... and one which everyone had missed this year was a Peregrine.

I decided the light was getting too dark for any decent pictures so I packed up and left. I kept the camera with the 100-400 attached out 'just in case'.

As I left, and no more than 2 minutes from leaving the hide, I looked up and thought that looks very 'falcon-like'!
I snapped a dozen or so shots as this bird shot across the sky above me.

only another minute after that, the guys all came out the hide, so I thought I'd have a quick word and tell them how unlucky they were....

However these guys were not convinced at all :bat: they said it's chin wasn't white enough. :shrug: They however wouldn't then tell me what they 'did' think it was.

If it is what I think, then it's the first of the year at this park :rules:

What do you guys think?

ID1.jpg

ID2.jpg

ID3.jpg

Yep look at the tail and very defined markings on the cheeks
Pretty sure thats a hobby (y)

I'm not sure what is different about the tail... and the cheeks look the same as a Peregrine to me! :LOL: :LOL:
but since your sig says "Chris-the-falconer", I'll take your word for it :D

I'm not sure what is different about the tail... and the cheeks look the same as a Peregrine to me! :LOL: :LOL:
but since your sig says "Chris-the-falconer", I'll take your word for it :D
:D
The tail is shorter than a peregrine (but only just)
The cheeks are more heavily marked than a peregrine (but only just)
These are just very subtle differences, the clincher would be the size and build.
But having not seen it in the flesh that is my best guess on the ID ;)

Edit one last thing, Hobby wings tend to be more "angular" in flight (as that one is)
Peregrines more "sickle" shaped.

Tail is the wrong shape for a peregrine Gav, trust the slippery one.

1631 by Fracster, on Flickr

Cheers Ade.
This is my year I think, going to make much more of an effort to get out and about (y)

Cracking shot there too :eek:

Getting that time of year for these birds now, just started checking the nest sites for more activity.

Getting that time of year for these birds now, just started checking the nest sites for more activity.

You need to get out more too. Saddo:p

Perigrine for me, not too many Hobbies about this time of the year. Looks small which would suggest a male.

Well...
I've just got a mail from a local chap telling me it's far too early for a Hobby, and we're back to the Peregrine again.

I will try my best to see if it turns up again!

Look at the shape of the tail of the one you posted and I posted Gavin.

I'm with Cobra, ain't no pere.IMO.

The last photo posted probably shows its a perigrine better than the others, aside from the structure etc you can see the barring on the underparts, hobby looks nothing like this and has streaking on the underbody.

Good sighting all the same, your birders at the hide were possibly a little envious.

I'm afraid it is...;)
Well, i have never caught a hobby on camera, but it still looks wrong to me for a peregrine.

PS...I don`t need the winky smilies, i`m more than aware of what wild peregrines look like. Thanks all the same Mark.

Chris any chance this could be a cross?

Highly unlikely I would say Ade,
but of course we do get late and early migrants,
these are the ones that cause all the excitement among the "twitchers" ;)

can I ask what age you think this 'hobby' is? as juvenilles show no rusty boots,this bird has no rusty boots,in which case not only is an extremely early hobby (very unlikely),but it has also hatched and fledged in winter in Africa(more chance of juggling soot).

Its a Peregrine.

Last edited:
Well, i have never caught a hobby on camera, but it still looks wrong to me for a peregrine.

PS...I don`t need the winky smilies, i`m more than aware of what wild peregrines look like. Thanks all the same Mark.

Chris any chance this could be a cross?

then you would have known, that this was one.....

Last edited:
Tail is the wrong shape for a peregrine Gav, trust the slippery one.

1631 by Fracster, on Flickr

Why is the tail the wrong shape for a peregrine?.... whilst your image shows that I agree...you can't base your reply on that image alone, as it does depend what images you look at....
Here

can I ask what age you think this 'hobby' is? as juvenilles show no rusty boots,this bird has no rusty boots,in which case not only is an extremely early hobby (very unlikely),but it has also hatched and fledged in winter in Africa(more chance of juggling soot).

Its a Peregrine.
Sorry but that post makes no sense what so ever.
Of course its always very difficult to ID BoP's from images, especially poor ones
(Sorry OP) and there is always a slight chance that I was wrong.
And as I said at the start....

But having not seen it in the flesh that is my best guess on the ID ;)

So with that, I'll leave you to your soot juggling and to ID it "by majority" (y)

IM 99.9% sure its a Peregrine. Ill post it on another forum where Im sure we will get a proper ID.

Back