Ilux portable units

Name
Dave Peacock
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have experience with the new ilux portable flash units?
Rated at 600w comes with battery built in, quite appealing at £400

They were a real bargain, before the latest version was launched (which cost more than the previous, and the competition got cheaper).

I contemplated them, but bought a Safari. @mike weeks works quite closely with photomart, and he didn't choose them when he wanted a new portable system (does that tell us anything?)

The thing that put me off? There are identical units pop up on ebay occasionally at bargain prices, and some of the reviews of those are quite negative.

Last edited:
The reason I did not go with the iLux was that I could get get the OEM version of the Safari 2 for half the UK price and this opened me up to using the Godox controllers and I have a mixture of Godox lights all at great savings. Personally I think that the iLux for a wedding photographer are a far better solution than what I have for many applications - I really like the battery being integrated in to the head as it means no cables - no solution is perfect but a 2 light solution of iLux is far, far cheaper than the equivalent Safari 2 and The Photography Show deal included a 2nd battery with the iLux. I tested the iLux away from The Photography Show and this was the result http://www.dorsetphotoevent.co.uk/studio-light-testing-48-hours-with-ilux-summit/ and before anybody says anything I was not paid for the test, I borrowed the lights to thoroughly test them and if I had not got the great deal that I did get I would have gone with the iLux.

Mike

The spare battery they used to do on all the ilux heads was one of the things that attracted me.

But I think if I really fancied one I'd go with a HK supplier for the savings.

Last edited:
I have the n-flash clone of this. I assume they're the same except for the branding. I found it wasn't much more powerful than my SB-910. A stop more max. It also stopped working after 4 months for no reason and the Chinese seller wasn't interested. I'd avoid personally.

I now have the calumet genesis/godox wistro and that is do much better and much more powerful than my speedlight

It also stopped working after 4 months for no reason and the Chinese seller wasn't interested. I'd avoid personally.

And that is the risk of directly importing

Like all the lights there are different power versions and my own experience was that the iLux were certainly far more powerful than my Nikon speedlights when used in an equivalent manner.

Mike

Yep, a lesson learned by me. I did like the all on one aspect of it since I do find the cables a faff
I'm going 'glass half full' on the cable on the Safari, with 'the battery pack is a handy counterbalance to the light on top of the stand'.

Back