Installing a new internal HD

Edit My Images
Yes
I had a problem with my current HD so I've picked up a new one, just wondering if someone had any good links on how to install it?

Also, how do I handle reinstalling Windows on the new drive?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Is it a sata or ide hard drive?

Do you have a copy of the windows installation disks?

What PC do you have? Is it one build by someone or a company like Dell?

Generally you just unplug the power lead, open the side casing, remove the old HD and insert the new one. Once installed you can set the boot device to be CD\DVD rom in BIOS or F12 on boot on Dell machines (i think) give the boot options. Boot using the windows CD and follow the instructions.

Do you have a licence number for the windows as you may need this and may also have to call MS to get it activated.

Is your other HD completely dead?

What PC do you have? Is it one build by someone or a company like Dell?

Generally you just unplug the power lead, open the side casing, remove the old HD and insert the new one. Once installed you can set the boot device to be CD\DVD rom in BIOS or F12 on boot on Dell machines (i think) give the boot options. Boot using the windows CD and follow the instructions.

Do you have a licence number for the windows as you may need this and may also have to call MS to get it activated.

Is your other HD completely dead?

Not sure the exact model number, but yeah it's a Dell.

I have the code for the Windows, going to give it a go this evening so will let you know how I get on, thanks.

Cool. If you can get the model number it may help. Should be straight forward to swap the hd.

Problem.......

Don't Dell HDDs have a recovery partition? With their own OEM version of Windows, which has a unique CD key that won't work on any other version?

I know they used to sell HDDs with the recovery partition onboard for about 3x the price of the same HDD without it.

Is your laptop Vista, Win 7, or Win 8, if so and if the old hard drive is still working there should be a .wim file (this is a disk image of the C Drive) on the recovery partition.
Find someone who knows how to create and use a WINPE recovery disk they can use Imagex to install windows on your new hard disk using the .wim image from your old drive.

Problem.......

Don't Dell HDDs have a recovery partition? With their own OEM version of Windows, which has a unique CD key that won't work on any other version?

I know they used to sell HDDs with the recovery partition onboard for about 3x the price of the same HDD without it.

sometimes. depends on the media you got with it, if you got an OS disk though you can just use that with the OEM code. if you got a "recovery" disk then you may need the partition.

best bet may be to clone the old drive onto the new one though.

Back