iOS8

Downloading now, about 400MB to go for the iPhone then I still have to do the iPads...

Download successful, but refusing to update as "The iPhone update server could not be contacted". Must be taking its annual hammering.

It's decided to work now :).

Last edited:
Anything to get excited about? I'm guessing my iPad 3 will run a bit slower after this...

Started d/l around an hour ago, still got an hour or so to wait on iPhone , and estimated 2 hours on iPad, and that's on a fast internet connection, Apple's servers must be taking a hammering.

Worst part was clearing space to enable download, they wanted something like 3.5GB free space on iPad, even though the the actual d/l was around 1GB??

Initially told me (on my iPad mini ) that I had to delete some items,as I didn't have enough HDD space left for the 5GB download!!

Started the process on my iPhone,and it was only 900MB?

It's now saying the same on the iPad too. So I've no idea what was going on there? :confused:

Not compatible with I pad 3 I believe

Of course it is. And the iPad 2.

It's officially supported iOS 8 devices:

iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5S
iPhone 5C
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 Plus

iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad 4
iPad Air
iPad Mini
iPad Mini 2
iPod Touch 5G

Started d/l around an hour ago, still got an hour or so to wait on iPhone , and estimated 2 hours on iPad, and that's on a fast internet connection, Apple's servers must be taking a hammering.

Worst part was clearing space to enable download, they wanted something like 3.5GB free space on iPad, even though the the actual d/l was around 1GB??

It's always been recommended to me to do a full update via iTunes than the partial download the OTA does.

With regard the servers, I downloaded the iPad update in about 11 minutes about an hour ago (1.82GB). The server then fell over and it won't actually update because it can't verify with the server...

Just like last time, as soon as I posted that it decided to work :)

iPad update now commencing.

Last edited:
Installed on the iPad. Not a fan of the active suggestions above the keyboard as you type - it's a bit distracting but easy enough to get rid off

Apart from that, and that bookmarks have moved to the left in Safari, I can't say I've notice much difference.

Mine too about an hour to download. Seems to work okay but can't figure out the photo albums. I used to leave it on album and just have screen full and now it's grouping them and only showing recently added and can't see the 100+ other pictures!

View attachment 20767

Well I started to try and download it on my iPhone about 6:30 this evening, it went thought the waiting for update requested which took about 15mins, starts downloading (all going well ) then it says 8hours remaining then it goes to 7hours then goes upto 18hours which is now down to 17 at the moment :eek: My mates has a iPad which he updated in 20mins, but I haven't heard many people get the update on there iPhones yet :(

Well I started to try and download it on my iPhone about 6:30 this evening, it went thought the waiting for update requested which took about 15mins, starts downloading (all going well ) then it says 8hours remaining then it goes to 7hours then goes upto 18hours which is now down to 17 at the moment :eek: My mates has a iPad which he updated in 20mins, but I haven't heard many people get the update on there iPhones yet :(

I did my iPhone first, was all done in 30 minutes, other than 3 or 4 "server busy" errors, no problem at all.

Yeah that's a bit annoying, you seem to have to go into photos rather than albums?
I don't like the photo view it groups them together by location and date and just want to scroll through the whole album

Mine has been downloading for three hours so far and is showing ten hours remaining. Wow. (Through iTunes, over ethernet)

My internet isn't fast but is showing a steady 4.11Mbps at the moment whilst the download is taking place.

No one else is using the net in the house at the moment.

Happens all the time on these big updates. Ios7 release slowed down the entire internet by 120% or something daft from people all trying to download it.

The sensible thing is to wait until tomorrow.

Always seem to see people saying they have problems with iOS updates cant say I ever have. Updated 2 iPhones and 3 iPads via iTunes didn't take any longer than about 5-10 minutes each.

I'll leave it until the weekend I think, hopefully the rush will be over by then.

Back