iPhone 5S/C and iOS7

The post numbers aren't visible in the TP app . . . Which doesn't help.

Ah well, that's apps for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichards View Post
Background movement? Is that the accessibility reduce movement option or another?

I notice the clock is now animated on the home screen. I don't need a seconds display. That's a waste of energy for a start.

No, all the apps you started but didn't stop

I've found another bug. If I go to delete a number in my call list by swiping left. Before I can press the red delete option the list switches to that contact's info in the address book.

Ah well, that's apps for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srichards View Post
Background movement? Is that the accessibility reduce movement option or another?

I notice the clock is now animated on the home screen. I don't need a seconds display. That's a waste of energy for a start.

No, all the apps you started but didn't stop

There aren't any. I stopped them all.

I've found another bug. If I go to delete a number in my call list by swiping left. Before I can press the red delete option the list switches to that contact's info in the address book.

Doesn't happen for me, swipe and delete works.

If you swipe and then touch the i button next to the red delete option the info opens. Perhaps you are catching the "i" as you swipe?

Last edited:
Doesn't happen for me, swipe and delete works.

If you swipe and then touch the i button next to the red delete option the info opens. Perhaps you are catching the "i" as you swipe?

Thank you Dave, that's exactly what I was doing! (y)

Looks like Apple will be pleased with the 5s launch.

First Weekend iPhone Sales Top Nine Million, Sets New Record

CUPERTINO, California―September 23, 2013―Apple today announced it has sold a record-breaking nine million new iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models, just three days after the launch of the new iPhones on September 20.

In addition, more than 200 million iOS devices are now running the completely redesigned iOS 7, making it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Both iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c are available in the US, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK.

Demand for iPhone 5s has exceeded the initial supply, and many online orders are scheduled to be shipped in the coming weeks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304713704579092931680449134.html

Last edited:
Generally happy with iOS7 on my 5. However the phone keypad should take on the colours of whatever the wallpaper is, and mine doesn't, although the passcode keypad on the lockscreen does. Any ideas? I've been through the settings and can't see anything obvious.

How are people on here finding the 5s? Mines due between now and 5pm so going to be a long day :(

How are people on here finding the 5s? Mines due between now and 5pm so going to be a long day :(

So far satisfied, my initial random thoughts.

It holds a better signal than any other recent phone I've had (iPhone 4S, galaxy s2, s3).
The finish is better than the 5, I felt scared to carry the 5 in my pocket and started getting tiny marking on the sides almost immediately, the 5s (in grey, at least) seems to have the same bare metal finish to the sides that the 4 and 4s had.
Call clarity at both ends of the call is better than any recent phone I've used.
The fingerprint reader is remarkably accurate and a lot more useful than I originally thought it would be.

Thanks for the feedback, not worried about scratching as should be able to sort a nano layer to protect the phone through a customer in the know so won't scratch :)

Battery drain on the 5 is dreadful. Not the background app updating setting either as I switched that off. Over night it lost 9% of battery power and clocked up 30 mins of usage while doing nothing... roughly twice the rate of ios 6. Not happy at all! Identical to night before with background app updating switched on.

10 hours of wifi use is a fiction. It's more like 6 now. It used to be 7 or so.

Oddly the ipad mini is actually better, so battery life with 7 is probably extended to 18 hours of use from an average of 16 with ios 6.

Going to try airplane mode tonight and see if it is the phone services. Tried turning off wifi and using 3g or no data and idle drain is the same.

Generally happy with iOS7 on my 5. However the phone keypad should take on the colours of whatever the wallpaper is, and mine doesn't, although the passcode keypad on the lockscreen does. Any ideas? I've been through the settings and can't see anything obvious.

Wouldn't it take whatever is under it at that time, so the app itself rather than the wallpaper?

After a play around it seems that only the circles around the numbers on the phone key pad take on the hue of the home/lock screen wallpaper. The screenshot I saw must have been taken from the lock screen keypad, which does change to the colour of the wallpaper.

After a play around it seems that only the circles around the numbers on the phone key pad take on the hue of the home/lock screen wallpaper. The screenshot I saw must have been taken from the lock screen keypad, which does change to the colour of the wallpaper.

The active call keypad (ie if you use it during a call for an automated system etc.) will change to your wallpaper colour I believe.

I have to say the battery life on my 5 has significantly improved with iOS7, although I have set it up as a brand new phone, and it's an Apple refurb, so a few things all affect it.

I have to say the battery life on my 5 has significantly improved with iOS7, although I have set it up as a brand new phone, and it's an Apple refurb, so a few things all affect it.

Rats. Looks like I'll have to find a way of deleting everything but keeping some settings and re-loading apps potentially. Idle usage is definitely noticeably worse but active usage seems to be less.

If I can set it up as a new phone but it remembers app settings from the cloud then I'd risk wiping it.

Most apps will remember settings etc from the cloud but it's worth checking for each app. You can sync things back over just don't restore from any backup as it can bring little issues over.

Luckily no probs with any apps here from a restore and only needed to enter a few passwords.

The5s is bloody quick compared to the 4s :)

Tried airplane mode with phone. Only lost 1% of battery over night instead of 9%. It's clearly the actual phone function which is doing the draining as with wifi off the other night it was still the same 9% fall. Usage also went up by only a few minutes instead of the 30 odd noted previously in airplane mode.

How can apple not have tested this??? To double the idle power usage of a device is really unacceptable or do they only test it with all the junk switched on so it only adds 10%??!

Must admit, since getting IOS7 a few days ago for my ipad, battery life is significantly higher.

Whether this is because some of my settings have been changed by the IOS, I've no idea.

Tried airplane mode with phone. Only lost 1% of battery over night instead of 9%. It's clearly the actual phone function which is doing the draining as with wifi off the other night it was still the same 9% fall. Usage also went up by only a few minutes instead of the 30 odd noted previously in airplane mode.

How can apple not have tested this??? To double the idle power usage of a device is really unacceptable or do they only test it with all the junk switched on so it only adds 10%??!

i cant say ive seen the same as you on two devices..

if i were in your position i would restore the phone to factory defaults, see how it is with no apps installed. install apps one by one and see if the problem reoccurs.

my money is on an app doing something in the background. i must admit im surprised by the lack of app updates since ios7 was released.

i cant say ive seen the same as you on two devices..

if i were in your position i would restore the phone to factory defaults, see how it is with no apps installed. install apps one by one and see if the problem reoccurs.

my money is on an app doing something in the background. i must admit im surprised by the lack of app updates since ios7 was released.

There are no apps running in the back ground. It's the same with background refresh switched off. It's the same with wifi off, mobile data off. It's draining the battery when it is literally supposed to be doing nothing at all. Installed apps that aren't running shouldn't be draining power. If they do then there is something massively wrong with ios as an operating system!

I think it is the phone part of the phone that is causing the drain. Ipad mini has had same treatment, installed the same , uses most of the same apps but doesn't show this standby drain at all. Only difference between the two is the cellular system. My money is on something within that...

well you seem to be the only one complaining about this. it has to be something unique to your device.

factory reset would be my first port of call before having a rant ;)

I would agree, do a complete reset, and leave it as a new iphone when setting up and see how the battery discharges for 24 hours. If it improves, you know it's an app or setting.

I would agree, do a complete reset, and leave it as a new iphone when setting up and see how the battery discharges for 24 hours. If it improves, you know it's an app or setting.

It was worse when freshly installed... I turned off loads of crap to get this much improvement!

first couple of days my iphone 5 battery was getting completely wiped out until i turned off the push emails and set it to manual
after a 6-00am until now 7-20pm day i still have 41% battery
i had 11 apps needing updates this morning as well

My 4s would die about. 8pm when I left the house at 6am, 20:40 and still at 72% on the 5s :)

Well I'm not having any battery life issues on a 5 with ios7. I've enabled more push notifications than I had previously and now have six screens of apps. The battery life appears to be better and I've also noticed that it appears to be charging to 100% quicker than before although I've no idea how an OS upgrade could achieve this.

A massive (y) from me on ios7 on the 5.

Well I'm not having any battery life issues on a 5 with ios7. I've enabled more push notifications than I had previously and now have six screens of apps. The battery life appears to be better and I've also noticed that it appears to be charging to 100% quicker than before although I've no idea how an OS upgrade could achieve this.

A massive (y) from me on ios7 on the 5.

Same here.

update 7.0.2 released today for the passcode bypass.

This is why i like apple, Patched in under a week.. unlike other operating systems left a known bug in for 4 years.

Back