Is A J Purdy in trouble?

OK guys, just maintain your glasses at half-empty, mine's three-quarters full ;)

Anyone else heard the rumours about RGB Tech?

Oh Dear
coffee.gif

pray tell?
Sorry, I can't reveal my source, suffice to say that they have taken way too many orders for 5DII's that they can never hope to meet.

If Puddleduck reveals their source of the demise of AJP on here, I may reveal my source of the demise of RGB.

Sorry, I can't reveal my source, suffice to say that they have taken way too many orders for 5DII's that they can never hope to meet.

If Puddleduck reveals their source of the demise of AJP on here, I may reveal my source of the demise of RGB.

Stop being a ********. (sounded like duckhead)

I have revealed my source. It really is not appropriate I reveal it here.

If you have a problem with me, you can PM Marcel for confirmation.

Otherwise backoff.

One of us is spreading lies and F.U.D and its not me.

Last edited:

without qualifying that statement it's awfully close to being libelous, as you appear to be inferring that there is some sort of nefarious activity going on......

It's the sort of comments people make, possibly in jest, on a forum which could actually put a company out of business.

Agreed.

Using another company's name to try to wheedle information out of me is totally inappropriate, and an abuse of a public forum.

Lets all keep it civil please. I think there are going to be many rumours for the next few months. Lets not turn it into Chinese whispers, we will see who comes out on the other side soon enough.

FWIW puddleduck has named his source to me in private, and I'm happy to let his comments stay because of that. You can't just throw statements around that a company have gone under....especially during these troubling times...it's irresponsible in the least.

Bawbee, if you're willing to name / quote your source to me in private, that will be fine :)

But let's keep things civil. Puddleduck doesn't want to name his source publically, and tbh that's fine...if he's been told this info in confidence and doesn't want to go 'on record' with it.

Play nice chaps..it's cold...and Ive got cold toes...and I get cranky when i have cold toes :p

Please note that unfortunately A J Purdy & Co Ltd are now closed and so no longer trading. Please check back here later this week for further information.All orders that were in stock have been processed and sent out and we have advised most customers who ordered items not in stock that they will not be receiving the item. For any query please use the contact us button and send us an email and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not return any goods as the unit is closed and cannot accept deliveries.

Here's an interesting update. I managed to get a lens or three from AJP before they imploded, but one of them has a defect and needs to be returned. I rang the manufacturers to ask advice, and they were very interested to hear that I ordered it last week; they said that AJP had gone bust 2 weeks ago and shouldn't have been sending stuff out last week. He asked me 3 times whether I have a proper receipt for the lens and seemed surprised when I kept insisting that I do.

At least the good news is that they've agreed to repair it under warranty!

AJP went under a few days ago. One of my motivations for being very vocal in this thread was that AJP have a very poor record in issuing refunds (up to 30 days).

My concern was that they would charge for orders upfront, and folks would be waiting for up to 30 days for refunds for OoS items - and then be in a long line of creditors.

As it turns out AJP have acted honorably up until the very end, and no one was charged for any out of stock.

Personally I'm sad to see them go.

Been over to AJP's a few times and all I can say is that I am sad to see them go...

They offered excellent and professional advice and more importantly good retail prices. Its such a shame yet another independent photography retailer has closed its doors.

Thanks to AJP's for their years of trading and I hope the circumstances of their downfall dont impact on those peoples live who owned/were employed at the company.

Agree with Puddleduck.

I have also got to thank AJ Purdy and especially Ryan Ricketts. Over the last 18 months I spent over £15000 with them.
I was an early adopter of the Canon 1dMK3 and they exchanged it twice no questions asked first time a fatal err99, second AF problems. Not once did they suggest a repair.
I have always had excellent service and they were only 5 mins away from me. It is a shame to see such a professional outfit go out of business.

It's a shame to hear that A J Purdy have gone under, I've not had dealings with then myself but a couple of friends have and spoke very highly of the service received.

OK guys, just maintain your glasses at half-empty, mine's three-quarters full ;)

Looks like that glass has sprung a bit of a leak mate;)

Looks like that glass has sprung a bit of a leak mate;)

It certainly has. As others have said, I have always had great service fron AJP and I'm not sure of anyone who can provide the same service with competitive prices. I bought my EOS 3 about 10 years ago and 40D from them just last year, it's a shame they've gone.

BTW - I must apologise to all for the flippant remark regarding RGB Tech, it was without any foundation whatsoever and I have sent a PM to Andy (Puddleduck) regarding some of my other comments and explaining to him why they were made.

Let there be peace.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting update. I managed to get a lens or three from AJP before they imploded, but one of them has a defect and needs to be returned. I rang the manufacturers to ask advice, and they were very interested to hear that I ordered it last week; they said that AJP had gone bust 2 weeks ago and shouldn't have been sending stuff out last week. He asked me 3 times whether I have a proper receipt for the lens and seemed surprised when I kept insisting that I do.

At least the good news is that they've agreed to repair it under warranty!

:thinking: :popcorn:

Well, I ordered my bits last Wednesday (with a credit card just in case) and they arrived yesterday, although I wasn't in but had a card saying that I had to pay £5.20 postage. I guess that the idea was 'money in' (i.e. sale) and 'NO money out' (i.e. postage costs). Collected the parcel this morning and all but one item was there, which to be honest they told me when I called them last week to check that they had my order.

Would be nice to think that they may have been trying to give something back (i.e. discount) to the people that had supported them over the years rather than see it all go to some administrator/bankrupt auction...?

One of the items they sent me should have cost at least £20.70 to post, but it had an £8.25 Royal Mail Online postage on it. Didn't get charged any extra though, but was surprised tbh!

I have known directorship changes to take months to register on the companies house site.

The only way that would happen is if the company itself is late filing details of the changes. Changes of directors must be filed within 14 days of their becoming effective, and the database is updated within a few days if filing is done by post and within a couple of hours if filing is electronic.

Shame to see them go. I have bought a lot of equipment from them over the last 10 years. Always had excellent service and advice from them, which they could have charged me for but advised me of a better route to take.

Shame to see them go indeed. I have always purchased my new items from them! Where should I go now?

The only way that would happen is if the company itself is late filing details of the changes. Changes of directors must be filed within 14 days of their becoming effective, and the database is updated within a few days if filing is done by post and within a couple of hours if filing is electronic.

I was taken off as a director of a company electronically, months later the online DB still showed me as a director. When I rang companies house, they said I had been removed when it was first done, but the DB had not been updated.

Shame to see them go indeed. I have always purchased my new items from them! Where should I go now?

i recommend parkcameras.com spot on for me!

Indeed, so a combination of costs incurred by moving and the loss of credit lines, as we thought.

Certain manufacturers then heard rumours about us being in receivership which were not true but none the less lead to the suspension of certain key deliveries and reduction in credit limits which basically pushed us in to this position

Just goes to show that untrue rumours can cause themselves to become true!

Below taken from their website.

As feared =( sad to see them go.

Thanks to AJ Purdy for being one of the good guys.

"Please note that unfortunately A J Purdy & Co Ltd are now in Voluntary liquidation and all enquiries should be directed to the following:

M. H. Linton FCA FABRP and Paul Weber BSc FCCA, Leigh Adams LLP, Brentmead House, Britannia Road, London N12 9RU.

We would like to thank all our customers and suppliers over the past 77 years of trading.'

Source: www.ajpurdy.co.uk

A.J.Purdy's website said:
We would like to thank all our customers and suppliers over the past 77 years of trading.

That is so, so sad. To have survived all else.... I'm especially sad as they are just minutes from me.

Back