Is there any country more unsporting than the Aussies?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
No
The Australians have always had a reputation for lousy sportsmanship. They seem to be excelling themselves at the moment though.

Generally it's 50/50, although this England team appears to be very feeble comped to previous sides. Cook has no balls and IMO not a good captain. Wat the Aussies are doing is rattling us, part of the game.

Hard to say, I find some of the british press gloating hard to stomach, and after the last few years of less than normal Aussie sporting success, it is no surprise that their fans/media are making some hay while they can. I have actually found some of the stuff by the likes of the Brisbane Courier Mail so crappily hypocritical it's actually funny in an ironic kind of way. I am not prepared to pass judgement [in cricket terms] until we are 3 or 4 tests in to be honest, England for over a decade have never started tours well, so based simply of recent records of both teams, happy to leave the Aussies to gloat and see if they are still doing it at Christmas.

as for Cook....hmm...I suspect Clarke would quite like his captaincy record ;)

For goodness sake, it is a bit of banter, don`t take it to heart.

I`m a member of a big Aussie car forum, i ripped them when we spanked them over here, they are doing the same to me now.

It really does not matter in the grand scheme.Most of the sensible Aussie guys loathe thier press as much as we loathe ours.

Most of the sensible Aussie guys loathe thier press as much as we loathe ours.

The tabloids are of course, ridiculous at home, the thing over here though is that it's ALL the media. The tabloids (like the Brissy Courier as Yv says) and the broadsheets, and every TV station. Starts to look a bit sad after a while.

Yes, it's only sport, but the Aussie sporting culture borders on jingoism.

I hear what you say James, but we were(our press) as bad over here in the last series. Personal and gutteral remarks about the Aussie team.

Its about time they stopped all that nonsense and realised that sport is not life and death. It is a game, simple as that in my book mate. Certainly not worth falling out about it with anyone.

PS...still gutted that we lost to NZ with that last minute try yesterday.

See the australian captain has been fined for excessive sledging for telling Jamie anderson to look forward to a xxxxxxx broken arm!

And now Trott is returning home with a "stress related condition". His tour, and possibly test career is now over.

We might as well accept that we have lost the Ashes. In fact we lost them when we let them off the hook at 128-6 in their first innings, on the first day. Just like a previous tour when Harmison went AWOL on the first morning and lost us the series.

Last edited:
Guys, we have lost the first test, that is it, not the series, don`t be so downbeat.

England are a good team, they have not become crap overnight............I hope...........:thinking:

Yea, I mean what, that's the second test he's lost. Just awful.

I admit to being a follower rather than a fan. I rarely watch anything other than england games and will often only watch highlights so was not aware of his record. However, listening to pundits (not always a great thing) he does seem to be quite negative at times and doesnt for me have much charisma or oompphh.

It's not too many years since the joke was "Trophy cabinet for sale due to being empty. Space for (list of trophies the Aussies had lost in the previous 12 months)."

If they had any takers for the cabinet, I've got an empty bog roll tube they can store the smallest trophy ever in! IF they win it back. Oh, of course, they won't need it since the actual trophy stays here anyway.

Further thought, how far should sledging be allowed to go? There's banter and serious threats - if Jimmy A does get his arm broken, would it be premeditated assault?

;)

Oh, another thought on the original question...

The American wives etc at the Ryder cup a few years ago, trampling all over the green before the match was over?

Is there any country more unsporting than the Aussies?

Yes there is. However, to save a lot of aggravation and pettiness, they shall remain nameless ;)

The Aussies put out the bait and we fell for it hook, line and sinker....should have just shut up and concentrated on the cricket and shut them up that way.

It's one test. Next one maybe a different story. Hard to play that well or that badly every test.

"Sledging" has been around for decades, why is it a problem now?

Example:

Mike Gatting goes to the crease, and an Aussie says (this may be pure myth)

"Gatting, how is it that you are so fat?"

Mike Gatting:

"Because every time I s**g your missus, she opens another tin of biscuits!"

Why don't they man up and just smash the ball, and chuck the ball down at 90mph?

My experience of Aussies when they're winning is a few rounds of "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" (how original) followed by low-brow insults and basic playground insults.

When they lose they're not as bad but make more excuses than I think any other supporters are capable of. I mean in the first test I accept England played poorly, very poorly and the Aussies did play well. You could argue they had the best conditions to bat and bowl in for the first innings but that might not have had too much influence on the end result.

I can only liken it to the comments one of my Aussie cousins made on Facebook about a Met policeman who got savaged by some pitbulls while trying to make an arrest leaving him with life threatening/changing injuries "HAHAHA... that'll teach the pig" :eek:

Now I'm not for one minute suggesting all Aussies are like this, I've got other family out there who are "normal" but the ones we tend to hear/read about seem to lack any kind of empathy & decency

Does cheating, real, blatant cheating count as unsporting? If so, Google (other search engines exist...) Paralympic basketball cheats...

Broad cheated. Both sides sledge, thank goodness. Best listen to the players' views on what's said on the pitch.Clarke was unlucky. Anderson finds it difficult to keep his mouth shut.
Too much being made of this. But it's also bringing out the worst in Aussie-hating looking at some of the posts on here. It's a tough game.Let them get on with it.

Not walking is not cheating. That's what the umpires are there for. Nothing in the rules that say a batsmen has to help them make up their mind.

Not walking is not cheating. That's what the umpires are there for. Nothing in the rules that say a batsmen has to help them make up their mind.
Batsman or gentleman?

Because he more or less drove the ball through the covers to the wicket-keeper.( Trent |bridge)

Because he more or less drove the ball through the covers to the wicket-keeper.( Trent |bridge)

Errrmmm....... were we watching a different game?

The ball took a slight deflection off his bat, bounced of the keeper's gloves and went to 1st slip.

What he did was no different to what the Aussies started doing 30 odd years ago, letting the umpire decide if they're out or not.

As a batsman you have a pretty good idea if you're out LBW to but you'd never walk unless you were given out by the umpire.

Obviously I exaggerated to point out it wasn't a thin edge. It's just my opinion.No big deal. Think lbw is a different one : more difficult to know the pitch and line so leave to umpire, but a blatant thick edge, walk. A few have walked in the last test for less obvious edges. I don't care what Border says.

I think Allan Border's view is that Australia invented not walking. And to be fair he's probably better placed to judge than most. Its history. Lets get on with the next test :)

For almost every decision the batsman doesn't walk. The DRS would get used far less if they did.

Haddin has admitted he knew he hit it, but didn't walk when he was given not out in the same match. The only difference was England hadn't wasted their reviews as the Aussies had (and always do within the first 10 minutes of an innings, because they never think they should be given out ;) ) so England reviewed the decision and Haddin was given out.

How the Broad one was picked up and made into this huge thing when the same stuff happens many, many times every game, I've no idea. - Oh wait, yeah I do, it's because the Aussies lost and wanted someone to blame. :D

Last edited:
Gilchrist, the best *keeper/batsmen* ever, bar none, used to walk.

* without a shadow of a doubt.

Actually, Ricky Ponting was a walker, and almost as honest and willing to as Gilchrist was! I remember occasions, and first page of a google search just on Ponting walking gave:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/12/15/what-to-make-of-ricky-pontings-walk/

Apologies for whingeing about a Pom whinging about Aussies :p

I'm not sure the best 100-odd players in the world (ie Test playing nations) would have gotten there without enthusiasm, drive, ability, and tactics against the other team and players. (Was Bodyline a tactic, or whinging about not moving out of the way fast enough? ;))

Sportsmanship? Tick!
Pommie sportswomanship? Tick!

(Yes, flame me, take out your frustrations early at losing the Ashes AGAIN!!! :) Yes, I am trolling, and Australians can be bad, but no worse than some other countries. Yes, I love generalisations lol)

What's worse is that one of the Brisbane papers wouldn't show Broad in photos - even (apparently) PS'ing him out of a team photo and putting dots where he was! That's wrong, to me, but supposedly in jest. :)

Back