is this pc any good?

not really

it's a server, so only fits server grade RAM, and it uses a very outdated (2006) cpu socket, so you buy this and there is no easy path for upgrading this machine

but if you're happy to use this and buy a whole new pc when you want to upgrade then do it
although i'd still say a budget current gen PC would be a better deal

I guess £250 is a pretty lean budget, but as others have said this looks like ex-corporate hardware dating back 7 years and pc tech is a bit like mobile phone tech in that it shows its age very fast! Perhaps look at a cheap'n'cheerful Intel Core i5-4430 based system but you might have to look at about £400 even for a basic system capable of running up to date software packages.

not really

it's a server, so only fits server grade RAM, and it uses a very outdated (2006) cpu socket, so you buy this and there is no easy path for upgrading this machine

but if you're happy to use this and buy a whole new pc when you want to upgrade then do it
although i'd still say a budget current gen PC would be a better deal

its not a server the dell precision range are workstations. same as the (multi) xeon mac pros. EEC memory isn't specific to servers either.

that said, the old E5345 are getting a bit long in the tooth. even two of them don't bench as well as the latest intel chips.

e: heres the bench..

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5345+@+2.33GHz&cpuCount=2

Last edited:
so, is it worth going for to last me a year before i can afford to get something better? or will it still struggle with CC and lightroom?

Thanks everyone. ....I've decided to wait and carry on using the laptop for a bit.

Many thanks :)

Back