January film meet for (insert geographical preference for location of Manchester here) types

Oh aye - get t'film out for...

• 1. Astley Green in January

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 2. A mooch down t'canal to Castlefied AND a shufftie at owd pit stuff

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 3. Dale St to Castlefield in January - Astley Green later on with more daylight.

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters

-Oy-

Worzel Gummidge
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Three possibilities after having a think now that the seasonal fog is starting lift from my head if not from the weather.

Astley Colliery - the only remaining pit headgear on the old Lancashire coalfield. Lots of owd stuff to photograph.

http://www.agcm.org.uk/index.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astley_Green_Colliery_Museum

Open Sundays 1:30-5pm

This could be combined with a mooch round Manchester? If so I'd suggest an early(ish) meet up in Manchester at Dale Street Car Park near Piccadilly Station. There's an interesting walk from there down the canal to Castlefield - lots to photograph (samples available) - then back up through the city centre for some jackbit/scran (if you don't understand that then you may be better off on a more Southerly meet, or we can provide a translation service on t'day) then on to Astley Green.

But hmmm... with the light failing so early in January, and a 1:30pm opening time, and no cafe it it chucks it down, there's probably scope to split this thing in two.

Maybe the Castlefield walk and City Centre Mooch this month and save Astley Green for a bit later on? I think that would get my vote.

Whatcha fink filmies?

I voted 3 based on the reasons you gave. Does this have to be on the Sunday or is the Saturday an option for the longer opening hours at Astley Green?

Saturday works fine for me on option 3

Whoooaaaaa there, something's wrong here. No mention of a pub?!
Dave can be forgiven as he is a relative newbie, Dean @Strappy on the other hand should know better.

Reactions: PMN
Pub... pub.... pub...where, where's the pub.. what, no pub...aaarrrgghhh. Does not compute......

Actually I'll need to check out the dates as its the wife's b'day in January so it would need to not clash with that. I shall enquire as to my availability.

Pub... pub.... pub...where, where's the pub.. what, no pub...aaarrrgghhh. Does not compute......

Plenty of pubs on Option 3 :)

Ok - option 3 seems to be the choice. We just need a date now.

Thoughts?

I thought we were looking at 18th Jan but that was in the other thread, wasn't it :)

Has to be a weekend for me, I can't do the last weekend in January or the first in February. Others should be OK.

Love to make this one! Voted for #3!

Sat 17th or Sun 18th then?

Either is ok for me.

*Bump*

Anyone else?

Sorry guys, have to bow out, my Mrs has booked a weekend at Gilsland, Cumbria! Bad timing, but I guess I will have to rough it in the Hotel!

So lets get this finalised - who IS coming? And is Sunday 18th ok for a walk down the canal to Castlefield from Dale St (Piccadilly area) ?

Gonna have to miss this one folks, too much on this month. Sorry.

Andy

Sunday probably ok for me, but will know better closer to the date.

Mart

Looks like we have a day out!

Sunday 18th Jan

- roll call so far...

Me and my pal John (Came to the Beeston meet)
Marvin d martian (with or without the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator)
Slimshaney
Strappy

Could one of you local chaps suggest a suitable all-day parking place, please? I'm going to have to drive up as the trains aren't viable from here.

And, of course, if anyone down south would like to join me, give me a shout. I'm in central Reading and can collect people from the station on the way out of town, which'll probably be sometime between 6-7am.

Ah, Dale Street... home of Real Cameras, just sayin'

Alas, RCC is closed on Sundays. Always hard to come out empty handed - moreso now that they take credit card payments!

Alas, RCC is closed on Sundays. Always hard to come out empty handed - moreso now that they take credit card payments!

Oh no, don't tell me that...... They take credit cards, this is not good, not good at all.

Dale St Car Park where we'll start our mooch is £5 all day.

https://citipark.co.uk/car-parks/75-dale-street-manchester

10am meet? Or is 11 better?

Lovely job, thanks. :)

As for the time, I'll play the Classifieds game and offer to meet you in the middle, how does 10.30 sound? :D

I'll send you my mobile number, if you wouldn't mind reciprocating then I can let you know if I've run into any problems.

Sounds like a plan :)

There's a COSTA just round the corner if the sky be moist :)

Guys,

I've got to change my plans due to work, I'm sorry :(

Won't be able to make it now.

If things change before now and then, I'll update this thread.

Ta,
Shane

*Sulk

Sorry Dave, no can do. It's the Current Mrs Snap's birthday so we will be spending time with the family..... such fun. :rolleyes:

Sorry Dave, no can do. It's the Current Mrs Snap's birthday so we will be spending time with the family..... such fun. :rolleyes:
i trust you've purchased something camera shaped and expensive as an extra special gift :whistle:

Bump for tomorrow.

Meet at the Canal Lock on Dale Street Car Park - 10:30am.

ROLL CAAAAAAAAAALL!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm still planning to drive up unless there's a serious blizzard overnight or similar weartherbomb nonsense :)

Back