Jessops are clueless!

I have to say most of my experiences have been great. There was one instance where I took 2 films in to be processed and told them that I had pushed the ISOs on both. Nevertheless I got a blank look, and 'Okay' and I should have noted this, because when developed the negs and the prints were completely ruined and useless.

Another instance is going in there to get my other half a reflector. Asking the assisstant who walked up to me bold as brass asking if I was okay and needed any help, I replied 'Yes we weould like to buy a large reflector' To which he replied, 'whats that?'

Otherwise I have had good experiences!

For future reference it's all automatic and we can't push or pull negs!
Which is annoying because I accidentally shot an ISO100 film at ISO200 on holiday :( will have to take that to a pro lab :(

Calumet may be where the pros go and most of the staff at least know what theyre talking about but in my experience they are still pretty bloody useless. Even the people at Hasselblad are useless. Afew weeks ago the pro I assist decided to upgrade his H1 to the new H3D-50, which is a pretty maor investment. The week it was being delivered, we were on a shoot in geneva, so he asked them to deliver it there. However, not being in the E.U and it being marked as a purchase with a pretty hefty price tag, the authorities wanted him to pay some sort of tax/vat (cant remember what exactly), which came to something ridiculous like £3000. Luckily we took the H1 as a back up as he predicted a cock up, so he phoned Hasselblad to try and sort it, they apologised and said it would be sent back and then sent over to London asap. However, the next week we were in Prague, having promised to have the new camera sent to us there, they sent it from geneva, where it had been stuck in customs for a week - as it was now coming from geneva we were again liable to another massive bill. To cap if off when we finally got it, the 28mm lens they gave us didnt work. If thats the kind of service you get when spending £25000+, how can you expect Jessops to be any good?

IMO that doesn't look to be Hasselblads fault...
The lens, perhaps, but shipping it to a different country, I doubt they have anything to do with customs :thinking:

I found the Jessops in Inverness very helpful :D!

Better than the one in Elgin (now shut). Stopped going to the elgin one when the girl behind the counter put a finger print on my senor :( Give them there due though the manager cleaned it perfectly :D!

Calumet may be where the pros go and most of the staff at least know what theyre talking about but in my experience they are still pretty bloody useless. Even the people at Hasselblad are useless. Afew weeks ago the pro I assist decided to upgrade his H1 to the new H3D-50, which is a pretty maor investment. The week it was being delivered, we were on a shoot in geneva, so he asked them to deliver it there. However, not being in the E.U and it being marked as a purchase with a pretty hefty price tag, the authorities wanted him to pay some sort of tax/vat (cant remember what exactly), which came to something ridiculous like £3000. Luckily we took the H1 as a back up as he predicted a cock up, so he phoned Hasselblad to try and sort it, they apologised and said it would be sent back and then sent over to London asap. However, the next week we were in Prague, having promised to have the new camera sent to us there, they sent it from geneva, where it had been stuck in customs for a week - as it was now coming from geneva we were again liable to another massive bill. To cap if off when we finally got it, the 28mm lens they gave us didnt work. If thats the kind of service you get when spending £25000+, how can you expect Jessops to be any good?

Pray tell,what did you expect when shipping to a non EU country?

IMO that doesn't look to be Hasselblads fault...
The lens, perhaps, but shipping it to a different country, I doubt they have anything to do with customs :thinking:

True they dont have anything to do with Customs but they expected us to pay for it! It was bought in the Uk, they labelled it wrongly. Also, perhaps they werent aware there would be a problem, but that only excuses it being sent to geneva not Prague. They should have sent it back to Denmark then to Prague. When someone is investing that much money in your product service should be spot on. If the back up camera hadnt been taken over two weeks off shooting would have been ruined.

I think the question should have been - what did Hasselblad expect. They never mentioned any potential problems/costs.

Why should they?

You bought the camera and you instructed it to be shipped to Switzerland,custom and duty was your responsibility unless you directly asked Hassleblad to arrange that for you.

Why should they?

You bought the camera and you instructed it to be shipped to Switzerland,custom and duty was your responsibility unless you directly asked Hassleblad to arrange that for you.

Why should they? Ive got about £25000 reasons why they should. They were asked to organise it. Even if they werent, I would have expected them to advise a customer on any potential problems. Instead they then make the same mistake twice.

Why should they? Ive got about £25000 reasons why they should. They were asked to organise it. Even if they werent, I would have expected them to advise a customer on any potential problems. Instead they then make the same mistake twice.

Hasselblad make cameras,last time I looked they did not offer themselves as International Shipping agents.

It was your responsibility to arrange the correct procedure,no matter what the cost of the camera.I understand your ire,but it is your own fault.

A lot of people fall foul of this when shipping to Norway and Switzerland for example.Unlike our customs who let Hong Kong shipments through quite easily,for example,the Swiss are very efficient at collecting monies they are due.

Last edited:
Hasselblad make cameras,last time I looked they did not offer themselves as International Shipping agents.

It was your responsibility to arrange the correct procedure,no matter what the cost of the camera.I understand your ire,but it is your own fault.

So their customer service stops there does it? They assured us they would sort it all out, including delivery to the hotel we were shooting, they paid all the charges to have it re-delivered - twice. If it was our fault, why would they do that? If bad service doesnt bother you I hear Jessops have a sale on - note to anyone working for Jessops, that was Just a Joke, any time ive been into Jessops (the Edinburgh branch ust off Princes Street) the service has actually been really good. My point was that even the best camera retailers/manufacturers make mistakes, Jessops, with part time, poorly paid and untrained stafff are not the only ones.

Ok,your right.

So their customer service stops there does it?

I would say it sounds as if their customer service is pretty good, you were the importer of the goods into Switzerland, so it was up to you to ensure the correct procedures were followed and any duty was paid...

That's how much their product costs.

The service was spot on, they did exactly as you asked for.

If you spent £200,000,000 on a mansion, would you expect the estate agent to come round and clean it for you?
No. You'd expect them to help you out to the best of their ability, but at the end of the day, service should be spot on regardless of cost.
IMO sorting out shipping to another country and paying for customs tax isn't something I would expect anyone to do unless it was in the sales clause.

I went into my local jessops a few months back to return a sigma 10-20 i bought there the previous day which was soft, on my way in i noticed they had a canon 100mm macro lens there (which i had on my wish list).
When i got to the counter and told the old boy behind the counter about the sigma being soft and asked if i could test out any other copies, he told me they didn't have any in stock, i then asked to exchange it with money for a canon 100mm macro, he then told me that they would have to order one in specially for me as they dont stock lenses like that in the store.

I told him there was one on display and he then looked at me like i was crazy and asked me to show him where it was, which i did.
He said "oh yeah so there is!", i said "i shouldn't have any problems with a macro lens being soft since they are known to be sharp", he replied "oh i don't know about that, my wife has the canon 60mm macro and she reckons its soft", i asked him if he tested it for himself and his reply was " i'm a pentax man i don't like canon!".

With this i decided i had listened to enough rubbish and got a full refund of my money, went home and ordered the macro from warehouse express and saved myself quite a bit of money.

Last edited:
Lots of great companies give terrible service. No one is immune. Jessops gives worse service now than at ever point before mainly because it pays lousy. If you want the service to improve, apply for a job or open up a rival company. On the other hand, lots of customers go into shops claiming to be the next Annie Liebovitz or Rankin, but in fact half the time don't know anything they're talking about. Usually guys with a chip on their shoulder, trying to look clever or big, but usually just pathetic. Like for instance there isn't a problem with not 'pushing' a film by extra development because the ISO was set at 200 rather than 100. Anyone with a modicum of photo knowledge knows that neg film has a + latitude of about 4 stops and a - latitude of about 1 stop.
Some of you guys on here expect to be served by professionals with all the knowledge, yet are only prepared to pay 'bottom dollar'. The economics don't work.
And I'm not on here to garner friends, but to put a more discerning and intelligent slant on some of the rubbish being talked about.

Stop logging on.
Go and read a book on simple photography.
Maybe join a local camera club [if they'll take you lol].
Google 'pushing films' or wikipedia even.
You could just start pushing your films camera shutter release button rather
than the keys on your keboard and maybe you would learn something.
I have.
Mainly about you.

Stop logging on.
Go and read a book

Good idea.....have you read this one? :naughty:

how_to_win_friends_and_influence_people.jpg

Stop logging on.
I have.
Mainly about you.

:LOL:
i like you, can we be friends?
maybe you can take me under your wing and teach me all about film.
i have a canon 40D, do i take out the memory card and feed the film in the gap left?

Stop logging on.
I have.
Mainly about you.

Perhaps try improving your levels of tact. Thanks. :)

The only 'gap' you have Andrew is between your ears.
Film, as used by discerning photographers the world over. Mainly by pro's [yes still]
and still produced by the likes of Fuji and Kodak.
When using your 40D remember to take the lens cap off.
Like your father did 9 months before you arrived on this planet lol

Film, as used by discerning photographers the world over. Mainly by pro's [yes still]

My aren't you the charmer.

Classy :shake:

:wacky::wacky::wacky:

talktalk - can I suggest you REALLY improve you posting style. We like to keep things friendly here and welcome your input but at the moment you are just going to annoy people and we wouldn't wanting you starting off on the wrong foot :)

Film is indeed an interesting medium, but it is also expensive and out of keeping with my generation, who are used to immediate gratification. Digital offers this quick hit and i have a sneaking suspicion that the inexpensive flexibility that digital affords us newbs to experiment and learn is what is really causing your irritation, as it has closed the gap somewhat between the pro's and the amateurs.

we are by and large a friendly bunch here and i'm sure that when you find your feet and settle in we can have more fruitful conversation.

Until then i'll leave you to enjoy the company of your many new friends.
(y)

That's how much their product costs.

The service was spot on, they did exactly as you asked for.

If you spent £200,000,000 on a mansion, would you expect the estate agent to come round and clean it for you?
No. You'd expect them to help you out to the best of their ability, but at the end of the day, service should be spot on regardless of cost.
IMO sorting out shipping to another country and paying for customs tax isn't something I would expect anyone to do unless it was in the sales clause.

I wouldnt expect it either, unless it had been agreed and (supposedly) sorted out already - which it had, which I already stated. Your analogy is completely different to my example. If the estate agent said he was going to come round and clean it, I would expect him to. Wouldnt you?

Here's an interesting one for you:

You say Jessops are clueless?

Today I had a gentleman (if you can call him that) come into our store wanting to try a 50mm f/1.8. I said, "Sure, no problem sir"

Got it out of the cabinet, and it wouldn't communicate with his camera.

I got a brand new, boxed lens from out back, took it out of its packaging, and let him try it out. He was there snapping for around 10 minutes.

He then said, "Now, you know my next question. Do you price match?"

I said, "Yes, sir, but only high street stores within a 10 mile radius," (this is clearly stated in our 'Price Match' terms)

I continue: "Where have you seen it sir?"

"Well, I saw it on 'Crazy Cameras' at around £77..."

I said, "Well, unfortunately sir, we can't normally price match the internet, especially internet shops like that since we have no idea where their stock originates - usually it's what's called 'grey imports' from Hong Kong, or refurbished stock from Canon"

He said, "Fair enough, what about Warehouse Express? I saw it there for a similar price."

I said, "Well, let me go and speak to the manager."

As I was about to walk into the back to speak to the manager, the customer announced, "Can I just let you know that I was going to buy my camera from here, but you wouldn't price match warehouse express, so I went and bought it from there, so you lost out on a £630 sale."

I said, "Right, okay then sir."

Went out back, manager checked the price on warehouse express, it was £88.99, plus delivery at £3.99, made it a total of £93, completely dissimilar to the £77 of crazy cameras that warehouse express was 'around about the same'.

We decided to not price match simply out of principle.

I went back out to speak to the gentleman.

"Hello sir. I've just spoken to the manager, and the price on Warehouse Express is £88.99, plus the £3.99 postage and packaging which totals to £93, which is only £6 different to our price of £99. On this instance we're not going to price match, as we feel the extra £6 warrants the extra service you've received as you've had the chance to come in and try before you buy, and speak to a member of staff who knows what they're talking about, plus the benefit of being able to take your product home today."

The gentleman was not happy. He said, "Well, on your website it says you price match" and I said, "yes, but if you read the details it says only high street stores."

He goes "Well it's ridiculous. I'm not paying an extra six pounds. It's completely unreasonable."

I said, "Well to be fair sir, you have actually now used this lens, meaning we can't sell this as new, it has to be sold as used. You've also taken up 30 minutes of a member of staff's time. I think our price is completely reasonable."

He said, "That's rubbish. Used? It's not used, it's been tested out."
I replied, "Would you be happy to buy a full priced product knowing that someone had already unboxed and used it?"
"Yes."
"Well, sir, unfortunately some customers wouldn't."

"Absolutely absurd. I've had to get in my car and drive here! Surely that cancels out the £6?"

I said, "Are you being serious?"

and then he walked out.

"Have a nice day sir!"

No word of a lie. That is 100% truth.

My point:
  • The customer came in and tried out a product
  • That product was in fact BRAND NEW
  • They had the opportunity to talk to a member of staff who had a genuine interest in photography and a knowledge of the product they were selling (myself)
  • They wouldn't purchase the product for the £6 difference in our price...
  • ...despite the fact they had actually tried/used the product in our store
  • And they also felt that we should reimburse him for his petrol and parking expenses by reducing the product by £6

I wouldnt expect it either, unless it had been agreed and (supposedly) sorted out already - which it had, which I already stated. Your analogy is completely different to my example. If the estate agent said he was going to come round and clean it, I would expect him to. Wouldnt you?

They sorted out the postage, nothing more nothing less.
Any extra charges were on your shoulders.

Last edited:
Stop logging on.
I have.
Mainly about you.

Got a new bessie mate Graham.............:D

Better than going suicidal in Waitrose.

Man I'd kill to work in Waitrose, they have the best pastries of all the supermarkets!
Best supermarket jobs round here are on teh Spar/Lidl sort of tier :confused:

RE above... I totally hear where a lot of people are coming from, a lot of chain shops employ the numbest soles on the planet, but others DO have good staff. As for prices & people asking a high street store to pricematch an internet store I've seen/heard so many of those arguments go down (not just cam shops, anything really) people just don't seem to understand. If you want as cheap as poss, order it online, see what comes. If you want to go and ask a question, compare similar products & make a properly informed decision you go to a proper shop, with a door, a counter and a till. If you don't like the price or the product, you can make use of the door again. Or if you like it, theres a till there you can also make use of! :D Theres not much point arguing with someone to match a price of a product when you are using a totally different service. Lifes to short anyway, dunno about anyone else, but I'd much sooner be burning off some fresh film than bitching about £6 lol

Last edited:

Today I had a gentleman (if you can call him that) come into our store wanting to try a 50mm f/1.8. I said, "Sure, no problem sir"

I got a brand new, boxed lens from out back, took it out of its packaging, and let him try it out. He was there snapping for around 10 minutes.

I said, "Yes, sir, but only high street stores within a 10 mile radius," (this is clearly stated in our 'Price Match' terms)

I said, "Well, unfortunately sir, we can't normally price match the internet, especially internet shops like that since we have no idea where their stock originates - usually it's what's called 'grey imports' from Hong Kong, or refurbished stock from Canon"

He said, "Fair enough, what about Warehouse Express? I saw it there for a similar price."

As I was about to walk into the back to speak to the manager, the customer announced, "Can I just let you know that I was going to buy my camera from here, but you wouldn't price match warehouse express, so I went and bought it from there, so you lost out on a £630 sale."

Went out back, manager checked the price on warehouse express, it was £88.99, plus delivery at £3.99, made it a total of £93, completely dissimilar to the £77 of crazy cameras that warehouse express was 'around about the same'.

"Hello sir. I've just spoken to the manager, and the price on Warehouse Express is £88.99, plus the £3.99 postage and packaging which totals to £93, which is only £6 different to our price of £99. On this instance we're not going to price match, as we feel the extra £6 warrants the extra service you've received as you've had the chance to come in and try before you buy, and speak to a member of staff who knows what they're talking about, plus the benefit of being able to take your product home today."

The gentleman was not happy. He said, "Well, on your website it says you price match" and I said, "yes, but if you read the details it says only high street stores."

He goes "Well it's ridiculous. I'm not paying an extra six pounds. It's completely unreasonable."

I said, "Well to be fair sir, you have actually now used this lens, meaning we can't sell this as new, it has to be sold as used. You've also taken up 30 minutes of a member of staff's time. I think our price is completely reasonable."

I replied, "Would you be happy to buy a full priced product knowing that someone had already unboxed and used it?"
"Yes."

"Absolutely absurd. I've had to get in my car and drive here! Surely that cancels out the £6?"

and then he walked out.

"Have a nice day sir!"

My point:
  • They had the opportunity to talk to a member of staff who had a genuine interest in photography and a knowledge of the product they were selling (myself)
  • And they also felt that we should reimburse him for his petrol and parking expenses by reducing the product by £6

thats exactly the kind of attitude people on 'the other side of the counter' face every day from a percentage of customers in any retail or similar business, its no wonder Jessops have taken to employing the less knowledgable, many with a real interest and passion have probably been driven out by incredibly high demands and expectations of the customer when matched with vaccum sealed for life pockets. :bonk: I have nothing against having high expectations, only those that have that high expectation but want it for no cost!

A friend of mine owns a Snappy Snaps franchise here in London and we were chatting the other day and she was saying they often wonder why they bother having a price list at all, because so many now walk in and 'tell you' [as opposed to asking for a discount] they are not paying the prices, they will pay you x amount instead, often about 50% of the list price. Her response is pretty much the same as mine to similar demands from our own customers - 'do you do this is Tesco when you buy your apples and loaf of bread?' :naughty:

I sometimes go in for the hell of it, and as I have often researched what I want to look at, I'll ask them questions to justify what I have read about (and to keep them on there toes)

Two words for you sir.... Grow Up. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

"Yes."

and then he walked out.

"Have a nice day sir!"

My point:

So, to add to this, my manager received a letter of complaint about me today from this customer saying it's "The worst service he's ever received in any shop" and that he was "made to feel bad about the condition of the product after its use".

Nice one, member of the public! (y)

My point:

I'm not surprised the customer complained -

• Shops should have demo products
  • See above
  • And?
  • The customer is under NO OBLIGATION to buy
  • See points 1+2
  • An assumption on your part

My local Jessops told me that the EOS5D mkii did not have video..Clueless

I'm not surprised the customer complained -

• Shops should have demo products
  • See above
  • And?
  • The customer is under NO OBLIGATION to buy
  • See points 1+2
  • An assumption on your part

• If you read mate, we had a demo product but it didn't work with his camera, so I went out of my way and unboxed one.
  • As above
  • If you'd have read it correctly you'd have seen that I believe that £6 extra was worth having a member of staff to speak to about the product
  • I know he's under no obligation to purchase but he WANTED to purchase but refused to for an extra £6 - hardly a big sum of money
  • I personally don't feel it's right to come in, use something, and then leave at the loss of the store. I never go in a shop and ask to try something if I don't have intentions to purchase. Some people are different and I appreciate that.
  • It wasn't an assumption, he effectively said "I think the fact that I've had to drive and park cancels out that £6". Unless I'm god awfully mistaken.

I think you're just trying to push buttons (as from your history that doesn't surprise me).
    It seems you just quoted the bullet points I made without reading the bulk of the text.
    Stop trolling please, normally I get along with you mate, but yeah, you seem like you're just trying to be a pest.

Last edited:
Back