Jessops Big Cat Days

Edit My Images
No
Has anybody been on one of Jessops big cats days?

I'm more interested as it involves big cats than the supplier of the course (I get the feeling that Jessops, rightly or wrongly, generally take a beating here).

Does anybody know what the course is like and how much time you get to try and take pictures of the cats?

That one looks cool, although I have some kind of affinity to Tigers having handled some cubs a few years ago.

I'm a bit cat mad so I'd quite happily go with the other course too. I've searched high and low for a review but can't see to find any feedback at all.

Wild Arena also do various courses

As has been mentioned a couple of posts ago, go and do the photography day at WHF at Smarden in Kent. Not only will you have a fantastic day and get up close with the cats but you'll be helping a great cause. I would suggest strongly though that you book directly with WHF and not any 3rd party as they take a large chunk of the much needed funds.
Oh yes Andy is a great guy too :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to wait until this awful weather gives us a break and book one of these days.

I just need to overcome the desire to want to fuss one of them under the chin.

If you are thinking of doing more than 1 day, you can join wild arena and get a free 1 day workshop and discount on all other courses/days for a year

If you are thinking of doing more than 1 day, you can join wild arena and get a free 1 day workshop and discount on all other courses/days for a year

I guess my issue is at the moment is that I'm not confident enough with my camera skills to commit to doing more than one day. I've been doing a fair amount of reading and will probably take a beginners D-SLR course locally before doing anything with the cats.

I don't want to waste such a great opportunity.

Seeing as you are based in the North West you should get yourself up to the South Lakes Wild Animal Park near Kendal (ish). It’s free entry up till Feb so what have you got to lose by having a ride over? The access for viewing the Lions and Tigers is very reasonable and there are several vantage points which allow you to photograph into the enclosures without shooting through fencing or windows. I have been a few times and would defiantly recommend it as a nice place to practice your animal photography.

Maybe do this before forking out spades of cash on a course, you will be surprised what you can teach yourself just by simply getting out there are trying it :) I am not saying don’t go on the course, they are a great way to learn, but don’t be scared of trying something on your own to start with. At least then you will have a basis for reference if you do go on the course at a later date :) Best of luck and happy snapping

Gazmo1 said:
I guess my issue is at the moment is that I'm not confident enough with my camera skills to commit to doing more than one day. I've been doing a fair amount of reading and will probably take a beginners D-SLR course locally before doing anything with the cats.

I don't want to waste such a great opportunity.

Wild arena do one day courses (have a look at their site) on different areas and they do these in various locations.

That one looks cool, although I have some kind of affinity to Tigers having handled some cubs a few years ago.

I'm a bit cat mad so I'd quite happily go with the other course too. I've searched high and low for a review but can't see to find any feedback at all.

so do I about "cat mad" thing. I also handled some cubs in South Africa in 1995, and again few years later in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, but they are "lion" cubs. Never had "tiger" cubs though.

I am hoping to go on Wildlife holiday in South Africa in 2 years time. Need to improve my photography first, because I am a completely beginner (No good to go there now)

Last edited:
As has been mentioned a couple of posts ago, go and do the photography day at WHF at Smarden in Kent. Not only will you have a fantastic day and get up close with the cats but you'll be helping a great cause. I would suggest strongly though that you book directly with WHF and not any 3rd party as they take a large chunk of the much needed funds.

http://www.whf.org.uk/ Looking at it also

I wonder just how much Jessops take :(

I wonder just how much Jessops take :(

The Jessops courses the OP linked are £20 cheaper than going direct to wild arena without membership. The wild arena members price is about £4 cheaper than jessops - so I expect Jessops have a similar deal getting commission for each booking.

Wild arena do one day courses (have a look at their site) on different areas and they do these in various locations.

The Jessops course is a course by wild arena... just cheaper than the non members price.

Back