Jessops - Never Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, you may have had a right to a refund if all is as you say it is. But if you wan't to be such a sucker for the rules...nowhere (on their receipts or in law), does it say the refund will be done in the same method as the payment!

(I don't have a receipt to hand, and will stand corrected if it does :p)

No,

A customer service manager from Jessops head office made me aware of that thankyou.

No,

A customer service manager from Jessops head office made me aware of that thankyou.

As mentioned before, it seems this CSR stated the incorrect information without knowing fully Jessops own policy in an aim to try and keep customer satisfaction. It is not the store you should be angry with, simply a poorly trained drone on a phone somwhere who (likely) has no idea what a DSLR is.

I think it unfair to taint all Jessops with the same brush as I have have fantastic service from the 4 different stores I use reguarly!

David

I have a Jessops receipt in front of me now from a purchase made on Friday and there is no reference made to any money back guarantee, simply after 30 days they will return the product to the manufacturer for repair. The website states...

There will always be terms and conditions associated with these 'money back guarantees' and it seems that Jessops have been very gracious in accepting back an "unwanted" gift and giing a refund rather than a credit note.

DB

Thats lovely editing of the actual statement on the receipt. (see pic)

100_0607-1.jpg

I will accept the "sorry i was wrong" off everybody that said i was wrong as an apology!

I think it's probably best for all parties if you don't go to a Jessops store again.

Got to say that I have sympathy for the OP's situation here.

Jessops created the policy and in this case they agreed that they would make a refund. Whether or not it's a legally binding policy or guideline is absolutely irrelevant, it's the policy they publicise, they've honoured it and they've already chosen not to exercise any get out they may, or may not, have had.

Having paid in cash I would also prefer to be refunded in cash which, along with annoying misinformation which may well have been given in good faith, was the original point of the thread.

Got to say that I have sympathy for the OP's situation here.

Jessops created the policy and in this case they agreed that they would make a refund. Whether or not it's a legally binding policy or guideline is absolutely irrelevant, it's the policy they publicise, they've honoured it and they've already chosen not to exercise any get out they may, or may not, have had.

Having paid in cash I would also prefer to be refunded in cash which, along with annoying misinformation which may well have been given in good faith, was the original point of the thread.

Thankyou :)

I think the part people cant understand is that if it was a camera for me i would have chosen the exact one for me and wouldnt have had to go for a refund. I wanted this as a present for my nephew so couldnt ask which one as it would have ruined the suprise. That is probably what these terms are for.

EdinburghGary,

This is obviously an aim of yours to try and dig at me. I didnt try a trick as you put it. I bought something, took it back as it was the wrong one , totally unused and had a refund. You need to study the law before trying to be an expert on it. I dont show gratitude to people who lie to me. If your standards are so low to accept that then you obviously dont have as much self respect as me then.

I think this thread needs to be closed as it is just a place for narrow minded people like yourself to come out of the woodwork and claim to be 100% perfect.

Bye

:LOL:

I was merely commenting on the facts as you stated. Sorry to have upset you,

Tata for now :)

Gary.

Princeclan, no one is saying you were trying to trick anyone, and we are merely saying that, yes according to Jessops' policy you are entitled to a refund.

However under THEIR terms, you aren't entitled to a refund in the same payment as you had made.
We understand your frustration, and I too would be irritated, but there is likely to be another side of the story that we're not hearing and you don't know about.

Jessops aren't liars, you just haven't read the rules properly. Yes, you're entitled to a refund according to their policy. How they issue that refund is entirely up to them since it no where states how that refund will be given.

I'm not commenting on the law, I don't know much about it.
I am however commenting on Jessops' policy since I have worked there for 2 years and know fairly well all the intricacies.

Last edited:
Princeclan, no one is saying you were trying to trick anyone, and we are merely saying that, yes according to Jessops' policy you are entitled to a refund.

However under THEIR terms, you aren't entitled to a refund in the same payment as you had made.
We understand your frustration, and I too would be irritated, but there is likely to be another side of the story that we're not hearing and you don't know about.

Jessops aren't liars, you just haven't read the rules properly. Yes, you're entitled to a refund according to their policy. How they issue that refund is entirely up to them since it no where states how that refund will be given.

I'm not commenting on the law, I don't know much about it.
I am however commenting on Jessops' policy since I have worked there for 2 years and know fairly well all the intricacies.

Im not saying all Jessops staff are liars i am merely stating what a customer service manager at head office told me that you have to call up for auth for anything over £100 cash refund. He said it should always be cash for cash.

Anyway its sorted now and im off to the local airfield for some peace.

Matt

That's exactly what would annoy me as well though. Because it doesn't state what the refund policy is I'd reasonably expect the refund to be made by the same method I'd paid, in this case cash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Jessops, I use them for high ticket items because of the High Street presence and will continue to do so for as long as they're there. It's just that, in this case, they seem to have made the situation for one of the declining number of customers actually using them unecessarily inconvenient. Inconvenient to the extent that he's no longer going to use them. That's hardly going to help turn round the business. :wacky:

Wow, Princeclan isn't looking too good in this thread.

Here are a few points as I see it:

1. Princeclan seems to think he has a legal right to a refund from Jessops because he changed his mind about wanting the camera. The FACT is he doesn't have a legal right. Jessops offer a refund policy but this offer doesn't make it a legal right. There is a massive difference.

2. Jessops are a good enough company to voluntarily offer a 30 day refund policy however their terms and conditions do not seem to stipulate how this refund should take place. If you paid cash earlier in the day then it would be fair enough to expect a refund in cash but you have to be very narrow minded to not understand why there may be reasons this may not happen. In your earlier posts you said there was about 4 or 5 hours between the purchase and the refund. do you honestly expect a store like Jessops to just leave your cash untouched for that length of time? It will either be removed from the till to be banked or put in the safe or handed out to other customers asking for a refund.

3. You keep stating that your gripe with Jessops is that they lied to you. The fact is that 1 or 2 employees of the company seem to have told you something you don't agree with or may have been incorrect. I doubt if either employee deliberately lied to you. Mistakes happen, deal with it. You made a mistake in buying the wrong camera, I doubt if Jessops will refuse to do business with you again because of that mistake.

At the end of the day YOU made the initial mistake and Jessops kindly rectified that mistake for you. Yes that's right, YOU made the initial mistake so having to wait a day or 2 to get the money back in your bank is no great hardship. When you initially bought the camera you didn't expect to have the money still in your bank the following day, you'd spent it so you can't blame Jessops for it not being there. Jessops aren't responsible for making sure you have enough money to go shopping on EBay.

Last edited:
Im not saying all Jessops staff are liars i am merely stating what a customer service manager at head office told me that you have to call up for auth for anything over £100 cash refund. He said it should always be cash for cash.

Anyway its sorted now and im off to the local airfield for some peace.

Matt

Oh, sure. Okay. Make sure you state it more explicitly next time, don't want to be called a hypocrite! ;)

Yes it should always be cash for cash, and I don't know why in this case they didn't but there must have been SOME reason. Glad it's all been sorted matt, and I hope you find shopping experiences in the future less stressful.

That's exactly what would annoy me as well though. Because it doesn't state what the refund policy is I'd reasonably expect the refund to be made by the same method I'd paid, in this case cash.

Oh I totally agree, but the fact that it ISN'T stated means there is likely more to it.

It's just that, in this case, they seem to have made the situation for one of the declining number of customers actually using them unecessarily inconvenient. Inconvenient to the extent that he's no longer going to use them. That's hardly going to help turn round the business. :wacky:

TBH Dod, I don't even think a miracle could turn round the business :shake:

1. Princeclan seems to think he has a legal right to a refund from Jessops because he changed his mind about wanting the camera. The FACT is he doesn't have a legal right. Jessops offer a refund policy but this offer doesn't make it a legal right. There is a massive difference.

Talking about rights does get a bit emotive, but for clarification I think we should be saying that Jessops make this return policy part of their offer, so princeclan's contract with them did include it, so from that point of view it is indeed a right. It is simply something specific to Jessops and not a general right granted through the SoG Act or any other general legislation.

The problem is that the offer will be part of their T&Cs of sale and we don't have the details of those so we don't actually know whether or not the agreement in the contract was bounded by caveats. (almost certainly was)

The handing over of cash and taking the camera is deemed accepting the terms of the contract, where these terms aren't over ruled by legislation, so it is hard to tell if they were behaving correctly or not. I'm sure that had it been easy enough to hand back cash they would have done so, I agree with foodpoison there must have been a reason behind it.

I would hesitate to suggest that unless the goods purchased wern't of merchantable quality or second hand, not new (as in my case with Jessops) they actually don't have to give a refund.
Just because a customer decides to have a change of mind about the purchase, I would think doesn't entitled the customer to a refund.
If the store clearly states a refund, subject to the stores terms and conditions, is permissable then they should comply with the stores policy.

Anyway that is what I have been lead to understand, but I may be totally wrong

What these stores don't realise is they are now competing on a global scale for sales, its not like it used to be one local store against another local store, and unfortunately Jessops seem to still be living in the past

Realspeed

Last edited:
I would hesitate to suggest that unless the goods purchased wern't of merchantable quality or second hand, not new (as in my case with Jessops) they actually don't have to give a refund.
Just because a customer decides to have a change of mind about the purchase, I would think doesn't entitled the customer to a refund.
If the store clearly states a refund, subject to the stores terms and conditions, is permissable then they should comply with the stores policy.

A store is not legally obliged to give a refund if there is nothing wrong with the item supplied.

However if a store voluntarily states that there is a period during which the item can be returned for a refund then they have made this a contractual condition and they are legally obliged to comply with it.

It is possible that someone would only consider buying something if they knew they could return it for a refund. A lot of the mail order catalogues work this way.

Note though, the text on the receipt as posted above. "we will exchange or refund it..."

That does not automatically mean you will get your money back. They would be within their terms of contract to offer a replacement of equal value (or possibly a credit note).

The statement on the back of the receipt doesn't state the form that any refund will be paid in either.

I think in this case Jessops acted very reasonably as their returns policy is above that which is required by law and is better than a lot of retailers.

Steve.

Last edited:
Wow, Princeclan isn't looking too good in this thread.

2. Jessops are a good enough company to voluntarily offer a 30 day refund policy however their terms and conditions do not seem to stipulate how this refund should take place. If you paid cash earlier in the day then it would be fair enough to expect a refund in cash but you have to be very narrow minded to not understand why there may be reasons this may not happen. In your earlier posts you said there was about 4 or 5 hours between the purchase and the refund. do you honestly expect a store like Jessops to just leave your cash untouched for that length of time? It will either be removed from the till to be banked or put in the safe or handed out to other customers asking for a refund.

3. You keep stating that your gripe with Jessops is that they lied to you. The fact is that 1 or 2 employees of the company seem to have told you something you don't agree with or may have been incorrect. I doubt if either employee deliberately lied to you. Mistakes happen, deal with it. You made a mistake in buying the wrong camera, I doubt if Jessops will refuse to do business with you again because of that mistake.

At the end of the day YOU made the initial mistake and Jessops kindly rectified that mistake for you. Yes that's right, YOU made the initial mistake so having to wait a day or 2 to get the money back in your bank is no great hardship. When you initially bought the camera you didn't expect to have the money still in your bank the following day, you'd spent it so you can't blame Jessops for it not being there. Jessops aren't responsible for making sure you have enough money to go shopping on EBay.

You really expect me to read on further with such a childish opening line? How old are you? Go and play and dont forget its bed time soon little en.

You really expect me to read on further with such a childish opening line? How old are you? Go and play and dont forget its bed time soon little en.

You are making ZERO friends here, what an absolutely childish response.

Gary.

Thread closed.

I'm getting sick and bloody tired of people arguing. It's getting to the point where I don't even enjoy coming on the forum anymore because Im sick of having to break fights up by little kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back