Not open for further replies.

princeclan

Suspended / Banned
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Just thought i would let you know about my experience with Jessops.

Bought an SLR for my nephew (hes going to university) in the local jessops store. Paid £355 cash.

Got home and ungrateful nephew said he wanted something with a magnesium body (stupidly picky) so i said okay i will take it back

Took it back and was told i couldnt have the cash back as a refund it would have to be on a card. I argued that i paid with cash and i needed the cash today to try and get something else. Was told no way but a card refund these days in INSTANT!

I said okay on the basis it will be instant. Did the card refund , went straight to the bank and no cash gone in. Went back to the shop and was told "oh no i meant within 24hrs"

Fuming is an understatement. Agreed to wait the 24hrs as i have no choice.

Got up this morning and no money in.

Called Jessops head office and had a totally unhelpful idiot telling me they could have given cash and he finds it hard to believe that they werent prepared to give me cash. Told him to call the store and who to ask for to confirm i am right and he brushed it off saying "well anyway it takes minimum 2 days and you will just have to wait now as i cant do anything about it"

So im left waiting for my cash to clear and have had a nightmare experience with jessops.

I urge anybody to steer clear of them as they are a bunch of idiots.

And Jessops wonders why they are so in debt and on the brink of going bump when they treat people like this.

They will never, ever see another penny of my hard earned money for as long as i draw breath! and will do my utmost to steer people who ask me away from them:thumbsdown:`

That's a little harsh isn't it?

I agree, I wouldn't expect to get a refund on a card, but then I wouldn't really expect cash either. If there was nothing wrong with the camera I think I would have expected a credit note against a further purchase.

Changing your mind isn't grounds for refund under the sale of goods act for face to face selling as far as I'm aware.

The route they took allowed you the opportunity to buy with a credit card elsewhere and have the cash to pay off the bill when it came in.

And breath!.............

To be fair, that's ridiculous - I see no reason why you shouldn't have had a cash refund(assuming they had cash there). I'm not sure they even have a legal right to refuse you an instant cash refund

Though I have just read:

MoneyWebsite said:
You probably think you are entitled to a refund if you change your mind about that designer dress, as long as you have the receipt and take back the item within 28 days. Well, you'd be wrong. If you buy something that you later decide doesn't suit you or doesn't fit properly, you have no rights at all.

Of course, many shops are happy to offer a full refund, but it's a goodwill gesture, not a legal requirement. So you should check a store's refund policy before you buy

Still poor of Jessops, but remember this reflects store level, and other stores maybe more forgiving....

That's a little harsh isn't it?

I agree, I wouldn't expect to get a refund on a card, but then I wouldn't really expect cash either. If there was nothing wrong with the camera I think I would have expected a credit note against a further purchase.

Changing your mind isn't grounds for refund under the sale of goods act for face to face selling as far as I'm aware.

The route they took allowed you the opportunity to buy with a credit card elsewhere and have the cash to pay off the bill when it came in.

And why the hell should i have to go through all that hassle when i paid cash???????? What if i didnt want to use my credit card????????

If you wouldnt expect cash and you wouldnt expect card refund what would you expect if you wanted to shop elsewhere???????

The contents were never used and Jessops have a 30 day returns period for unopened purchases.

The most ridiculous argument in favour of retailers i have ever heard.

The store staff should have refunded cash, end of story. I can see why you would be irritated and certainly want to warn people off that branch.

However, staff like our 'foodpoision' here are proof there are some excellent Jessops employees about with a real passion for service and photography alike.

Cheers,
James

ive worked in retail, you're meant to refund a purchase the same way it was paid ie card gets refunded to card. There are a lot of grey areas about why you would you be entitled to a refund but in this instance it seems the method which has royally p'd you off, annoying but probably the same in most places and much more likely in bigger chains.

EDIT: have i misread the first post? did you pay in cash initially?

ah my mistake! well i would have expected to get a cash refund (assuming they don't have a credit note policy)

rant away my good man!

I have to say that I think my issue would be with the ungrateful nephew for whom the gift wasn't good enough!

Was it returned unopened? If so, they should have followed their policy but as stated above, it is still a goodwill gesture.

Strictly speaking the staff could have just offered vouchers or a trade for an item of the same value. As the camera was not faulty they are under no legal requirement to take it back.

Well i was a bit annoyed with nephew as talking to him is like talking to a brick wall. Magnesium body this and magnesium body that. I told him for starters it is useless to him but he wouldnt listen

Strictly speaking the staff could have just offered vouchers or a trade for an item of the same value. As the camera was not faulty they are under no legal requirement to take it back.

Actually they certainly are. Especially after they plaster on their receipts that they have a 30 day return and refund poilicy for unopened products!

Shove it up his arse ;)

Since when did people get so picky about presents? Sheesh...!

Well i thought i was doing him a favour as his dad is out of work. i think i will just give him the cash and tell him to choose and then if he needs to return or replace he can have the hassle

Matt

Once they agreed to the refund it should have been made in exactly the same manner as the original purchase.

I do think, however, that you are being extremely generous to an ungrateful nephew. When I was that sort of age, I wouldn't dream of turning away an expensive gift for any reason let alone what amounts to aesthetics. I would get him a box brownie from a car boot sale and tell him to make do with that. Ungrateful urchin.

That's not good of Jessops at all :razz: i would have expected better from them...

...and as for your nephew:wacky::nuts:

He is only young and i think has been brainwashed that Canon and Magnesium bodies are the best thing in the world!

Actually they certainly are. Especially after they plaster on their receipts that they have a 30 day return and refund poilicy for unopened products!
If that's the case, then, assuming it was unopened, it's up to them how they refund the payment - unless they state it's the same method as you paid, you're in their mitts - many chain stores will just do their own vouchers.

AS the good was not faulty you are luck to get your money back.
You bought it in the shop so you have seen what you are buying end of story, different story if bought on line as distance selling laws apply
Be grateful they will give you your money back.
And if it was my nephew I say OK I take it back and he would not get one at all Ungrateful person

Last edited:
I had a similar argument with Selfridges once. Only I paid in vouchers and wanted cash :D

It did sound a bit abrupt from them, but as has been said, you should consider yourself lucky you got your money back!

Reasons why they may have demanded it go on your card - perhaps there just wasn't enough cash in the tills? If it was late in the day it'd have been removed to the safe, if it was early...then no one might have spent that much in cash as of yet. I have worked in retail and it's not an easy job to go undoing cash into safe, so often easier to offer a card refund!

Definitely ungrateful though, not accepting the gift as it was!

Well i thought i was doing him a favour as his dad is out of work. i think i will just give him the cash and tell him to choose and then if he needs to return or replace he can have the hassle

Matt

£355, a canon 1000 per chance.

I'd say you have a really ungrateful, spoilt nephew and I'd keep your cash.

Took it back and was told i couldnt have the cash back as a refund it would have to be on a card. I argued that i paid with cash and i needed the cash today to try and get something else. Was told no way but a card refund these days in INSTANT!

Did you pay with actual folding cash, or a debit card? If you paid with cash then they should have refunded you in cash, but reading between the lines it sounds to me as if you paid with a debit card and then went back for a CASH refund.

Not saying YOU were doing this, but a lot of people used to use that as a way of getting a free overdraft, especially on a Friday......

Whilst it's not a generally legal requirement for a retailer, Jessops have made it part of their policy and have written it into the contract of sale. Therefore, they are legally obliged to honour it.

Shove it up his arse

Another, equally valid option.

Steve.

Last edited:
I read it as actual folding cash.

ANd if that is the case they should by rights have offered a cash refund.

It is of course possible that giving a cash refund when so many people use cards would have wiped out a reasonable portion of their till contents. I don't know how much a store keeps in the till mind.

id guess the money wasnt in the till to give you. most retailers have a box that they put most of the money in, they keep some in the till, the rest in the box. £355 is quite a bit of money and they may have just done a bank run or sealed it up for banking etc later.

i would expect cash if i paid cash though.

Whilst it's not a generally legal requirement for a retailer, Jessops have made it part of their policy and have written it into the contract of sale. Therefore, they are legally obliged to honour it.

Another, equally valid option.

Steve.

Actually, it is a legal requirement. There's a 7 day cooling off period where consumers can unconditionally return a product or cancel a service. More info here -> http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792577

I read it as actual folding cash.

ANd if that is the case they should by rights have offered a cash refund.

It is of course possible that giving a cash refund when so many people use cards would have wiped out a reasonable portion of their till contents. I don't know how much a store keeps in the till mind.

I've never heard of a shop demanding to make a cash refund onto a debit card - what if the person didn't have a card, or didn't have it with them? Any time I've taken something back to Jessops the refund has been in the same form as the payment.....

I'm not sure who is worse in this case
Jessops or the Nephew

Actually, it is a legal requirement. There's a 7 day cooling off period where consumers can unconditionally return a product or cancel a service. More info here -> http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1073792577

No it's not - first line of the page you linked to...

Distance selling and online trading

"When selling to consumers by mail order, phone, fax, internet or digital TV"

So unless the op posted cash to Jessops or tried to stuff it down the modem then it doesn't apply ;)

I'm not sure who is worse in this case
Jessops or the Nephew

I'd say the nephew, if there is one....;)

Last edited:

That policay is not legal requirement. There will be a comment about at the managers discretion. Anything that valuable would normally only be refunded as store credit in Argos so getting the cash back is a bonus but I'm fairly sure that you're only meant to refund a card if it was paid by card and the same for cash.

That's distance selling only welly

I don't normaly throw petrol on the fire but Jessops are up against it at the moment financialy, and comes as no surprise to me. Their customer satisfaction is awfull at my local branches. I supported them from day one but the last 2/3 years I stopped going so often because the staff are so poorly trained to deal with any customer problems or even basic camera knowledge.

To be honest there was one chap who was very helpfull but he left some time ago. The final straw for me was this. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=106327

Did you pay with actual folding cash, or a debit card? If you paid with cash then they should have refunded you in cash, but reading between the lines it sounds to me as if you paid with a debit card and then went back for a CASH refund.
Nope, it'd be nice if they did that, but they do not have to.

It was 17x£20 notes , 1x£10 note and 5x£1 coins to be exact.

It was opened by the staff to check the contents as i was told by the girl who served me it is jessops policy (perhaps a member of staff who comes on here can clarify)

I dont know what planet people on here are on who say im 'lucky' to have my ,money back??

Its plastered on the receipt for goodness sake. Thats the main reason i went to jessops instead of ebay incase it was wrong and needed to swop it.

if the cheapest body in jessops that was magnesium wasnt double my original outlay i would have been happy with a nother one from them initially.

Yes he is ungrateful but is a young lad, had a bad run of it lately and doesnt need "shove it up his arse" comments. That wont help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back