Jessops trade-in prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, some people just want to do things the easy way and some don't have the time or inclination to want to sell their stuff privately, others more savvy see the pounds shillings and pence cost of that. Like I said you have a choice, but from the dealers point of view you have to have significant margins on selling used kit to make it work

Don't disagree but I use value not price

If people are willing to drop their kit at a dealer for a quarter to a third of value that's their choice and good luck to them. That Jessops have chosen to use shark pricing which is actually sharp practice I will be and am insulted and I do not want to do nusiness with them as should I choose to hand over my camera for far less tha I have been elsewhere, I would feel I was stupid and would be counting my fingers afterwards. It also makes me think that they are able to offload these to other retail outlets at a big margin.

As said it's a value issue and revolves on scalping. Irrespective of people happy to deal at those prices, I would rather give my camera to a reputable charity.

Next phase.... A "Good" rated camera becomes "Poor" on inspection for minor issues. Another 33% reduction

Stuff Jessops

I'm lucky in that I've got a bit of cash. I'd like to set up a we buy any camera type site but reasonable offers. Do you think it'd be a goer?

It's do-able.

Consider.....stock purchasing, insurance, stock holding area and security, distance selling regulations, accountants fees, bank fees, communication fees, website design and set up costs, finding the right stock at the right price, selling at the right price, be prepared for people 'buying' then returning after the weekend when their photoshoot is done, long turn around of cash sometimes, cash flow,...etc, etc... oh and then maybe having a couple of quid left to feed yourself!

But yes, it's do-able!

Its quite obvious that you lot haven't run a retail business !Jessops have overheads to cover, the staff serving you, the shop fronts, rates, tax - they've got to fund their stock and they've got to be able to re-sell what you are p/exing , repair and offer a warranty and make a profit - putting it bluntly it costs money so if you are expecting market price for a p\ex forget it. You have to pay for the convenience of p/ex -it means you don't have to bother with ebay the tyre kickers,scammers etc. But above all you have a choice either use it or not and whatever you'd like to believe no one on the high street is doing it for the love of it, they need to make money. So you takes your choice, bleat by all means but if you want to get touchy feely with new kit you pay for it one way or another. Otherwise carry on using the forum and ebay to sell your used kit !

Yep. MBP have the same overheads

This thread appears to be full of Daily Mail readers.

Outraged at the trade-in price of a camera they either have never owned, or one they do own but were not thinking about trading in.

Use MPB if you want the best p/x price around..... Jessops in it's recent history been about convenience, and for those who are less clued up than average.

Yep. MBP have the same overheads

No they don't..... they have one premises, which IIRC isn't a shop front and less staff than fingers on my hand. You can't compare Jessops overheads to MPB even before you realise that MPB are entirely focussed on selling used kit and moving those depreciating assets on - and not spending 45 minutes explaining different paper types to an elderly hobbyist in a prime high street location who may or may not spend £15 with you.

Everyone has overheads to one degree or another, but seriouslyly £820 for a D4??? (and yes I do have one and yes I did check the site).

This thread appears to be full of Daily Mail readers.

Outraged at the trade-in price of a camera they either have never owned, or one they do own but were not thinking about trading in.

Use MPB if you want the best p/x price around..... Jessops in it's recent history been about convenience, and for those who are less clued up than average.

I am most deg NOT a DM reader and your scattergun approach by tarring all is stupid and condescending.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion snd that includes you. So paraphrasing Voltaire, I may not like your opinoon but I will foght till my dying breath your right to speak it.....

Steve

Just wanted to add London Camera Exchange offered me £100 more than MPB for a used lens. (750 vs 650)

One experience, but worth getting a quote I would say.

Last edited:
Jessops are not some new far right regime demanding that you trade in your kit for the lowest prices, they are a high street business proffering the customer convenience. I'd hazard a guess that most of the moaners on the thread would never even contemplate buying a body or lens from Jessops, so also these 'insulted' customers are really have nothing better to do than be insulted! If you don't like it shop elsewhere!!! For some people Jessops is the way they pursue their hobby

Last edited:
It's nothing personal, just business, no need to get all butthurt over it, if you don't like their offer, don't accept it.

The person above who suggested they open a shop offering a "fair price" by which they presumably mean more than everyone else is laughable. Laudable, but terrible terrible business.

With the Jessops offer you're paying for the convenience. Alternatively you could sell it privately, and make more money, but offset against that is the increased time it takes you to write up and advert, deal with messers and the risk that you get scammed (in one of many ways, from funny money, paypal payment refunded or whatever).

To get all annoyed is simple naivety at how business works.

Last edited:
No they don't..... they have one premises, which IIRC isn't a shop front and less staff than fingers on my hand. You can't compare Jessops overheads to MPB even before you realise that MPB are entirely focussed on selling used kit and moving those depreciating assets on - and not spending 45 minutes explaining different paper types to an elderly hobbyist in a prime high street location who may or may not spend £15 with you.

That doesn't mean they have no overheads.
Jessops shop overheads would be covered by the stores turnover. If a store can't cover its own overheads they would shut it down.

Am I missing something here? Jessops offer a recycling facility or trade in but they don't say what they do with them and I can't find any used equipment on there site, so what do they actually do with them strip them for parts, send them back to the manufacturer?

That doesn't mean they have no overheads.
Jessops shop overheads would be covered by the stores turnover. If a store can't cover its own overheads they would shut it down.

You mean like this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/09/jessops-collapse-jobs_n_2439965.html

Someone in the "new" Jessops has obviously done the bookwork on how long it takes on average to shift the kit, likely resale values, and an operating margin. Don't forget that they have to add VAT onto any price they sell it to the public for but pay you a net of VAT price. I suspect Peter Jones wouldn't allow them to introduce an additional service that is just going to lose money.

Really they are not offering a public service - they are a business that doesn't want to fail again.

So how many in this thread suggest that £820 is anything resembling a buying-in price for a "good" Nikon D4 ... no matter what overheads you have, (it's £574.83 graded "poor")?

As for me I can't imagine that there would be any punter out there stupid enough to do it ... well unless it wasn't theirs!

So how many in this thread suggest that £820 is anything resembling a buying-in price for a "good" Nikon D4 ... no matter what overheads you have, (it's £574.83 graded "poor")?

As for me I can't imagine that there would be any punter out there stupid enough to do it ... well unless it wasn't theirs!

The thing is no one is forcing you to accept it, it's an offer, to accept or reject, no one has a gun to your head, the market has plenty of buyers and sellers, and there are further options, such as selling it yourself.

For the record I will happily offer £500 for anyone wanting to dispose of a Phase One IQ2 back, or £1000 for an Alpa 12 outfit. No one is forcing the owners of such kit to sell them to me, but am I a charlatan or despicable for offering it?

Reactions: ST4
The thing is no one is forcing you to accept it, it's an offer, to accept or reject, no one has a gun to your head, the market has plenty of buyers and sellers, and there are further options, such as selling it yourself.

For the record I will happily offer £500 for anyone wanting to dispose of a Phase One IQ2 back, or £1000 for an Alpa 12 outfit. No one is forcing the owners of such kit to sell them to me, but am I a charlatan or despicable for offering it?

Of course no one is holding a gun at your head ... same could be said of a loan shark!
The point is that the price offered for a "good" Nikon D4 is so bad it's laughable ... no actually it's not laughable, it's insulting.

Just in case anyone has forgotten Jessops price for a new D4: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/nikon/d4s-digital-slr-body-90624/show.html

Last edited:
Of course no one is holding a gun at your head ... same could be said of a loan shark!
The point is that the price offered for a "good" Nikon D4 is so bad it's laughable ... no actually it's not laughable, it's insulting.

We're back to this idea of insulting. How weak of spirit must one be to deem a business, with whom one has had no real interaction with other than to drop details of one's camera into their website, to be insulting them? If I call you a t*** that is an insult, to offer you a sum less than you're expecting for a camera is far from insulting.

I see that either you have no idea of the value of equipment or you just like to argue on the Internet ... yes offering £820 trade-in for a camera you are currently selling for over £5k is an insult ... if you don't see it that way, fine.

I see that either you have no idea of the value of equipment or you just like to argue on the Internet ... yes offering £820 trade-in for a camera you are currently selling for over £5k is an insult ... if you don't see it that way, fine.

Im with Mark on this - why are you insulted about an offer on a website, one that you have obviously no intention of taking up? You know what your camera is worth, you've no intention in offering it as px so why are you so mortified? You can think of yourself as being savvy, not insulted!

Im with Mark on this - why are you insulted about an offer on a website, one that you have obviously no intention of taking up? You know what your camera is worth, you've no intention in offering it as px so why are you so mortified? You can think of yourself as being savvy, not insulted!

I didn't say I was insulted ... the offer is insulting and I find it amazing that people here are happy about these sort of trade-in prices being offered, to the extent that they seem to want to stand out as supporting them :thinking:

I didn't say I was insulted ... the offer is insulting and I find it amazing that people here are happy about these sort of trade-in prices being offered, to the extent that they seem to want to stand out as supporting them :thinking:

Has anyone here traded in a D4 for £820...

Commerce, shops, staff, all costs, they are in business to make money. This is how they do it.

Really they are not offering a public service - they are a business that doesn't want to fail again.

Nobody suggested they are offering a public service, or that they shouldn't make a profit. But their offers are down right insulting.
Carry on ripping off the public and they are sure to fail.

I think the issue here is the business model which thinks that they can make sufficient money out of this to be worth all the hassle of setting up and operating the system. That would be all well and good if their prices were "reasonable", and some would say that 50% of the selling price might be a fair figure. The prices on offer seem to have more in common with the "cash for gold" type enterprise, and they have been comprehensively shown by Which? to pay less than traditional jewellers. That's still all fine and good if it's a reputational risk that Jessops are happy to take, but it's disingenuous to think that other companies might not suddenly think they're being a bit generous with their trade-ins, and that could have a knock-on effect.

Jessops and others are perfectly free to operate this system at these prices, but it isn't going to entice me to trade in against a new camera when I can get the new one substantially cheaper with vat paid from HDEW or whoever, which is why I believe they have misjudged their market on this scheme.

Has anyone here traded in a D4 for £820...

Commerce, shops, staff, all costs, they are in business to make money. This is how they do it.

Tell me any other photographic dealer who would offer £820 for a D4 in good condition?

So if you don't like it, don't sell them your D4?

I've no intention of selling my D4 to them but as this is just going around in circles with people who are happy that this exists, I'll bow out.

I've no intention of selling my D4 to them but as this is just going around in circles with people who are happy that this exists, I'll bow out.

Gramps if you have no intention of selling your D4 to them, whats your problem?

Gramps if you have no intention of selling your D4 to them, whats your problem?

From reading the thread it seems quite obvious that Gramps and most others don't actually have a problem. What they are saying is that the prices Jessops are offering for trade-ins are ridiculously low when compared with other companies offering trade-ins.

Would you use their trade in facility?

Personally there is no way I would, and that seems to be what most others are saying too.

Now that being said, this is a photography forum where we share information that may help others. This thread now exists for anyone who maybe thought about using the facility to trade with Jessops. They have information from people who have traded items before or who have had quotes from other companies. They can then use this information to perhaps make a more informed choice about whether to trade or not.

Is that not a good thing?

From reading the thread it seems quite obvious that Gramps and most others don't actually have a problem. What they are saying is that the prices Jessops are offering for trade-ins are ridiculously low when compared with other companies offering trade-ins.

Would you use their trade in facility?

Personally there is no way I would, and that seems to be what most others are saying too.

Now that being said, this is a photography forum where we share information that may help others. This thread now exists for anyone who maybe thought about using the facility to trade with Jessops. They have information from people who have traded items before or who have had quotes from other companies. They can then use this information to perhaps make a more informed choice about whether to trade or not.

Is that not a good thing?
Theres a world of difference between asking the question whether or not you'd use Jessop's Part Exchange facility and being 'insulted' by it.

There is indeed, but easy enough to answer I would have thought.

As to being insulted, I'm not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back