weekly JimmyM's 52 for 2015: Week 1 - Bliss

And quickfire straight after...

WEEK 1 - BLISS

One of many attempts of shooting the wee fella playing blissfully in the snow. Anyone who has tried to photograph their children will know the frustrations involved.

Pretty happy with this result. Please tell me where it might be lacking.

JimmyM TP52 2015 - 01 Bliss by JimmyMitchell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bliss - yes I know exactly what you mean about trying to get a photo of your child, they never stay where you want them for long enough. The photo it's self fits the theme nicely, I am not sure what the child's expressions is trying to tell me, it looks like he is about to cry or the Suns in his eyes :thinking: . But none the less I like the image, looking forward to your next image.

Hi Jimmy and welcome ... I love the patterns shot, a great angle.

An excellent choice for Bliss ...we rarely get snow in Cornwall so it is indeed bliss for the grandsons when they see it. I really like the DOF, and the red jacket against the snow is perfect. Maybe a more action shot may have worked, but as you say ..it's not always easy when children are involved. Looking forward to following your thread.

Hi, two interesting submission there. Patterson, well spotted, the composition works week for me, as does the overall detail and DOF.

Bliss, indeed.The red really pops, his face might be a little over exposed, but I suspect you didn't really have time to think too much about this. Good motion in the snow flakes.

Cheers.

Bliss - yes I know exactly what you mean about trying to get a photo of your child, they never stay where you want them for long enough. The photo it's self fits the theme nicely, I am not sure what the child's expressions is trying to tell me, it looks like he is about to cry or the Suns in his eyes :thinking: . But none the less I like the image, looking forward to your next image.

Thanks pinkbikerbabe. You're right about his expression. If he was maybe playing or throwing at the time of the shot the Bliss might be more apparent. Wish I had the photoshop skills to make it so :D He's probably just fed up with me pointing a camera at him again.

Hi Jimmy and welcome ... I love the patterns shot, a great angle.

An excellent choice for Bliss ...we rarely get snow in Cornwall so it is indeed bliss for the grandsons when they see it. I really like the DOF, and the red jacket against the snow is perfect. Maybe a more action shot may have worked, but as you say ..it's not always easy when children are involved. Looking forward to following your thread.

Thanks Susie...again, the more action might have helped. By the way...Cornwall...beautiful. Looking forward to your summer themed images.

Hi, two interesting submission there. Patterson, well spotted, the composition works week for me, as does the overall detail and DOF.

Bliss, indeed.The red really pops, his face might be a little over exposed, but I suspect you didn't really have time to think too much about this. Good motion in the snow flakes.

Cheers.

Thanks posiview. I think you're right about the over exposure. I'll try and have a play with this...or should I get "cracking" at Fragile (pardon the pun).

Hi Jimmy, welcome to 2015 52s. I really like the angle and composition of your Patterns shot and Bliss is a great image - one to treasure in the family album I suspect (y)

With over 100 starters for this challenge, I don't think that any of us have the remotest chance of keeping up to date with comments, but I hope to pop into each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Hi Jimmy - a couple of cracking shots there. Patterns is a nice interesting image with plenty (but not too much) going on. Nicely converted.

Bliss is lovely and one I'm sure you're very happy with - it captures the moment perfectly and is a lovely shot of your son. I also think it's a touch overexposed on his face: to be honest with kids outside, I tend to dial in either 1 or sometimes even 2 stops of negative exposure compensation because they move around so much, it's very easy to snap away and find the auto exposure has blown highlights on that "perfect" image. If you're shooting at 100 ISO you can usually bring back the exposure in post without introducing much noise into the underexposed areas (which might be most of the image!)

Some people think this is cheating, but IMO it's necessary to deal with the inherent limitation of digital sensors. If you were shooting on negative film, you'd not worry about it and just make sure you expose for the shadows properly - because you can almost always recover any highlights from negatives. Digital is pretty much the opposite, so you first need to make sure you don't blow any highlights at all, and then lift shadows where you need - if in doubt, expose to the left, especially with fast-moving scenes such as children!

Hi Jimmy - a couple of cracking shots there. Patterns is a nice interesting image with plenty (but not too much) going on. Nicely converted.

Bliss is lovely and one I'm sure you're very happy with - it captures the moment perfectly and is a lovely shot of your son. I also think it's a touch overexposed on his face: to be honest with kids outside, I tend to dial in either 1 or sometimes even 2 stops of negative exposure compensation because they move around so much, it's very easy to snap away and find the auto exposure has blown highlights on that "perfect" image. If you're shooting at 100 ISO you can usually bring back the exposure in post without introducing much noise into the underexposed areas (which might be most of the image!)

Some people think this is cheating, but IMO it's necessary to deal with the inherent limitation of digital sensors. If you were shooting on negative film, you'd not worry about it and just make sure you expose for the shadows properly - because you can almost always recover any highlights from negatives. Digital is pretty much the opposite, so you first need to make sure you don't blow any highlights at all, and then lift shadows where you need - if in doubt, expose to the left, especially with fast-moving scenes such as children!

Thanks so much for having a look pjm1 (am I right in saying it's Paul?) I'll take your comments on board and have a shot this weekend. Often find the mid-afternoon sunlight at this time of year pretty blaring so I'll put some of these pointers to good use.

Thanks again (y)

Thanks for
Hi Jimmy, welcome to 2015 52s. I really like the angle and composition of your Patterns shot and Bliss is a great image - one to treasure in the family album I suspect (y)

With over 100 starters for this challenge, I don't think that any of us have the remotest chance of keeping up to date with comments, but I hope to pop into each thread at least once in a while. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Thanks for having a look Elaine. I agree it's difficult to keep up with everyone. Most folks are so helpful and encouraging as well and you feel bad for not getting round them all.

This is my first 52 and really enjoying the interaction with so many talented people.

Back