Just broke my 70-300

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
No
had it on camera testing single extenstion tube.
pin snapped on extenstion tube lens fell off and now it wont zoom in or out.

im not working due to having had surgery to cant replace or repair it.. to say im gutted is an understatement..

makes me just want to sell up all my gear and give up :(

pretty much photography was the only motiviation to get over the surgery and get out there and now thats been taken away :(

bad luck - which lens exactly was it?

Could it be covered by your house insurance?

What other lenses do you have?

nope.. not covered.. simply due to the excess being more than the lens .
cry_smile.gif

the focus still works but if you turn zoom ring it just rotates from the 70-300 position without moving the front section. if i manually pull out the front to 300 it will zoom back to 70. nothing rattling inside so could be an easy fix but i dont have a clue how and wouldnt want to risk making it even worse and breaking something else inside.
lens is a sigma 70-300 APO DG canon fit.. no idea if i could try unscrewing the end and seeing if i can fix it

Last edited:
You might get something from the supplier of the extension tube since it sounds like it was that part's failure that caused the problem.

the extension tubes were brought a year or more ago from ebay.. essentially the pin between two tubes which holds the locking latch snapped/came apart , the tubes came apart and lens fell about 3 inches onto table but rolled onto tiled floor before i had chance to stop it.
i can hear a slight rattle if i shake it so im guessing some kind of pin inside the housing which allows the zoom to move from 70-300 has snapped off.
gutted.

On the bright news, these are only about £150 new, so another may be available secondhand cheaply? (or perhaps it was fate telling you to upgrade?) :D
Meanwhile - got any other lenses?

i was self employed prior to my surgery.. so essentially i have now zero income.. so even a second hand one is beyond reach

nothing near that range. nifty 50 and the 18-135 STM lens.. both not much good for any kind of distance shots.
certainly not good enough for the planned trip to sevenoaks wildlife centre.
best i can scrape up cash wise is around £50 right now and thats not going to get me anything even close.

nothing near that range. nifty 50 and the 18-135 STM lens.. both not much good for any kind of distance shots.
best i can scrape up cash wise is around £50 right now and thats not going to get me anything even close.

Ok, so I can understand that you are upset about your 70-300, but you also have 2 other very capable lenses there. Ok so they may not be ideal for visiting a wildlife centre, but there are many other areas of photography you can explore with what you have. So no, I wouldnt sau that photography has been taken away from you!

Last edited:
the APO DG go for around £80. the MPB one for spares /repair is £49.. so looking on there to see about listing it. and have submitted quote request stating the fault

Should be able to get one on eBay near that price.

Last edited:
Ouch! I had a tamron 70-300mm and i dropped it on the rocks in the Isle of Man visiting my mum and that just would not work full stop! Just took a look on ebay and there is one for £82 buy it now but also one ending in 3 hours at £36 so far... worth looking maybe??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-DG-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item43cb2b7b03

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-DG-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item20e7dcf987

im looking at those .. however the second is wrongly listed it is NOT the APO version which is better.. , the APO version has the red ring so its the poorer quality lens standard DG. the first one was at £11 an hour ago, can see it going for around £70+ so way beyond what i have right now

Aye just saw that, a good one is not much more though.

Can't you sell the fifty to temporary cover the cost, if you use the longer lens more? Stick the broken lens on eBay too, someone will buy it for sure.

Last edited:
Opps! sorry dude. It was a quick scan over missed that lol. The one at £82 buy now can still be bided on just have to keep your eye on it see what happens.

looks like im spoiled for choice... a tamron 70-300 LD thing.. noisy and slow.
canon 70-300 or 75-300 .. again both pretty slow and noisy. or try t pick up another sigma 70-300 APO DG ( the non APO is about as good as a chocolate kettle )

cant see any of the above going for much less than £70. which is really just a waste .. so where does that leave me other than saving up ( not easy to do when you havent got an income! )
really needs to be around the 300mm or above for wildlife/ planes and jets shots) anything less just isnt gonna be long enough seems like the zoom range goes from low end poor quality to high end ridiculously priced.. with very little in the middle ground ( around £150-200 second hand that is.)
about the only feasible option is something like the sigma 150-500 but thats doubling up the price.

These things always seem to happen at the most inopportune moments :(

I would be tempted to put a listed in the wanted section describing what you're after, there's a kind bunch of people on here that might be able to help you out. If the lenses you're looking at are going for £70-80, somebody might be looking to sell for less on here and save themselves the ebay and PayPal fees :)

around the 70 price seems to be about right for second hand.. sadly amazon dont accept pp and its just a little beyond what i have right now.. certainly cant afford a new one.
I also contacted MPB as they have a few spares/repairs models listed so if they would take mine but they came back saying they dont take that kind of lens which surprised me as they had the identical lens as mine listed with a fault and marked as S/R ( spares repair )
does seem that the sigma APO DG is probably the best sub £100 ( second hand ) lens that goes upto 300mm, the others being the 2 canons and the tamron ( was hoping tokina did one but looks like they dont ) anything else is way out of price range ( canon IS version or the Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD which are way beyond anything i can afford.
probably cheaper to get a 70-200 F4 L series than it is to get the IS canon or the tamron tbh. throw on a 1.4 Tele and image quality will still be far superior

where in the uk are you dean ? - I have a canon 90-300 usm which is basically gathering dust since I got my 150-500, which I'd be happy to lend to you FoC ... however I'm not going to post it due to the atrocious post record for losing s*** round here, so its only really a viable if you are in the region of either devon , or buckinghamshire

Very heart warming to hear that someone has helped another member out, it does make a change from the sniping and bitch slapping that sometimes occurs in these threads :) Happy Days. !

had it on camera testing single extenstion tube.
pin snapped on extenstion tube lens fell off and now it wont zoom in or out.

im not working due to having had surgery to cant replace or repair it.. to say im gutted is an understatement..

makes me just want to sell up all my gear and give up :(

pretty much photography was the only motiviation to get over the surgery and get out there and now thats been taken away :(

They do say. "The quickest way to make money from photography is, sell your camera gear".:D

Seriously though. You have my sympathy recovering from surgery, I have been there. Your could try your home contents insurance for the lens, I have done that in the past and they have paid up.

Doesn't help this, but I remember a while ago fitting one of my old cameras to a tripod and pressing the quick release button on the tripod which had my instantly watching my camera fall to the ground. Was gutted at the time.

But, you do have my sympathy though, been there with surgery in the past.You always need something to take your mind off of things.

very nearly had same happen on brighton beach ( not the best place to drop your camera thats for sure! ) .. the bolt on the tripod head sheared clean off ( thanks redsnapper ) but thankfully i had my wrist around the strap and the camera swung down and missed going lens first into the pebbles by a few inches.. had my 10-20 sigma on the front at the time.. if it wasnt for the strap you might well have seen a grown man on brighton beach sobbing for several hours!

Back