Just finished developing my first roll

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Last night I finally got round to developing my first roll of B&W, and this morning i sliced it up to go in the sleeves.

Has come out pretty well, can't see any issues so far but once I start digitising this may change.

Was also much easier than I was expecting, only real issue was I got to 13mins with out realising so almost forgot to empty the dev! Oh and the fixer gave me a nasty headache.

Will possibly post an image or two when I get that far but see how bad they are first!

View attachment 29324

View attachment 29325

Great isn't it when you see images on the negs? Look forward to seeing the final images.

Nice one. Yep it's pure magic. Looking good, can't wait to see some scans.

I don't have a scanner so will be making a mask this evening from mount board then using my iPad as a light box for my wife's D5300 with a Tamron 90mm macro. Will see how that goes and if it's a disaster I'll look into a scanner of some sort.

Reactions: Jao
Nice work, it is a great and arcane art that we need to preserve!

Excellent stuff. It gets easier. I developed my first film, less than two years ago, and I've long lost count of how many I've developed since, but certainly in three figures. By the way, I use a Poundland stopwatch - not at all water proof, but I can hang it around my neck, and easily keep it dry. When I used a phone in the early days, it would suffer from getting it wet. I know that there are now some cool developing apps, but smartphones do not always perform well in a wet environment. Just a pointer if you had an issue.

Last night I finally got round to developing my first roll of B&W, and this morning i sliced it up to go in the sleeves.

Has come out pretty well, can't see any issues so far but once I start digitising this may change.

Was also much easier than I was expecting, only real issue was I got to 13mins with out realising so almost forgot to empty the dev! Oh and the fixer gave me a nasty headache.

Will possibly post an image or two when I get that far but see how bad they are first!

View attachment 29324

View attachment 29325

I did the same this week as well. Very exciting isn't it? I am looking forward to the scanning stage so I can see how they turned out.

This post has just taken me back over 40 years to my darkroom and Paterson enlarger in the cellar of my house in Copenhagen.
Mostly used Kodak Tri X 400 film, which everyone pushed up to 800 for press work.
Always preferred Ilford paper myself.
Used to use brake fluid on the photo glosser, turned the back of the paper blue but produced a brilliant gloss.
The press would only buy gloss photos.
Did a lot of work for NordFoto in Copenhagen including the accession of Queen Margarethe and her father's, King Frederik IX, funeral in Roskilde Cathedral in January, 1972.
Wonderful memories of making the magic you describe - I thought I'd got over and forgotten it. DAMN !!!
Having started photography again in the last year after a very long break, thinking DSLR would be easy, I am struggling ...

I don't have an enlarger so will be making a mask this evening from mount board then using my iPad as a light box for my wife's D5300 with a Tamron 90mm macro. Will see how that goes and if it's a disaster I'll look into a enlarger of some sort.

your spelling is diabolical

:)

Having started photography again in the last year after a very long break, thinking DSLR would be easy, I am struggling ...

easy or not, its never gonna match what you used to do, its a different occupation all together

Spent some time making a "scanning" mask this evening from some black mount board. The aperture is a few mm oversize deliberately, 30x42mm I think, to give me room from include the data imprint from my F80s and also some wiggle room to get things in shot. I used 2 sides to raise the mask off the glass to prevent newtons rings. Hoping this will work but will find out another evening now.

View attachment 29459

Back