Critique Juvenile Female Kingfisher.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
A juvenile female, back in September. I was privileged to have 6 minutes with this bird, going about its business. The orange in the lower mandible is just begining to form. I managed 150 odd images and some video. (taken under my Schedule 1 licence, issued by NatureScot).

Comments welcome, as always.

Canon 5Div, Sigma 150-600C, 451mm, f6.3, ISO800, 1/500 sec.

Juvenile Female Kingfisher. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice Dale (y)

Very Very nice. Great colours and detail and perfect DoF. Well captured and taken Dale :D

A lovely shot Dale, a little detail and colour to the bg appeals a lot more to my taste than the all black bg's (y)

A lovely shot Dale, a little detail and colour to the bg appeals a lot more to my taste than the all black bg's (y)

Thanks Phil.

I'd been working on the BGs. That's some trees reflected on the water. I managed a more even exposure at this location, which isn't so covered with tree canopy as my other one. The whole scene is better lit at this one, resulting in lighter BGs too.

Glad you like it Phil. (y)

Great shot Dale the Kingfisher really pops against that darker background, top marks on the composition too

Coho - Blue

Beautiful capture of a beautiful bird.

Thank you. She's gorgeous.

Great shot of my favourite bird.

Any current shots with the R7?

Cheers.
No KFs with the R7 as of yet. I have had it out in my hide though and I'm quietly pleased, although I have to remind myself that a crop sensor isn't as forgiving as a full frame one. The eye AF is amazing. I'm quite happy with the pre shooting feature too although the rolling shutter can be bad.

I posted a Goldfinch off the R7 a few weeks ago.

Great shot Dale the Kingfisher really pops against that darker background, top marks on the composition too

Coho - Blue

Thank you.

Lovely shot Dale. Like that a lot.

Had a look at your Flickr too. Wow. some fantastic work.

Last edited:
Excellent, very nice indeed ;)

I am officially jealous - only managed a couple of shots to date of a KF and none worth shouting about. This is outstanding!

.DAVID.

Lovely shot,Dale. Loads of detail.

Also looked at your Flikr as per Lost_Manc's ..Rob's post above. All high quality shots including the Jacobite steam train passing over the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

Very nice capture, the only criticism is the bird could be facing more towards you!!

Expert in your field Dale! Great separation and the colours are stunning. I do like them all but #2 for me. I don't mind the mottled background but easily removed in post if it's not to your liking.

Lovely shot,Dale. Loads of detail.

Also looked at your Flikr as per Lost_Manc's ..Rob's post above. All high quality shots including the Jacobite steam train passing over the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

John, apologies, I somehow missed your reply. Thank you for the comment. Glenfinnan was a good outing, I will be going back.

Expert in your field Dale! Great separation and the colours are stunning. I do like them all but #2 for me. I don't mind the mottled background but easily removed in post if it's not to your liking.

Thanks Greg.

Best set you've produced yet Dale, Great detail, well processed

Mike

Cheers Mike. It started coming together towards the end of last season. I managed to find a spot that wasn't under dense tree canopy and also had the light/sun behind me. I'm itching to get started next year now, the learning curve continues.

Last edited:
Back