Keep or bin original box?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Just looking on ebay at a camera body, described as like new with all paperwork leads manual and cds etc. When I asked was it in its original box, seller replied no, box was thrown away! Why do people throw away the original box? :thinking:

I really do believe the original box should be kept, it is useful for storage, transport and is much better if intending to sell on at a later date.

Last edited:
Space!
Many people just don't have the space to have empty boxes around the flat/house.
Most people don't keep boxes from all sorts of 'appliances'.

I always keep the boxes for everything

Space!
Many people just don't have the space to have empty boxes around the flat/house.
Most people don't keep boxes from all sorts of 'appliances'.

I am going to be a little silly here, I would not keep a box that my cornflakes or toothpaste came in :LOL: or possibly a massive telly that needs a massive box. But a small valuable item like a camera, then yep I think the box should be kept.

Especially if its a pretty good and expensive camera.

I agree and keep all of mine but they take up a lot of room, if I didn't have the office I'd be in trouble!

I agree and keep all of mine but they take up a lot of room, if I didn't have the office I'd be in trouble!

Mine always go in the loft with the receipt lol

i used to keep the boxes for everything but binned them recently, only things i now have are the boxes for my camera gear, which whilst I hardly use it, i never have any intention of selling it, so i could bin them as well!

not got the space!

I try and keep boxes for everything.If space is an issue they can always be folded flat

I agree with you but the worst thing about eBay and Gumtree is the amount of people selling immaculate lenses only 6 months old yet do not have any proof of payment - confirmation email, receipt , nothing and that worries me.

A box I can live without but proof of payment I think is very important and most can't provide it - dodgy as hell

I keep boxes for camera gear and hifi, but not much else. If I'm buying something secondhand then I guess it makes me a little more reassured it's a genuine owner if the seller has the box. Digicams with no box and no charger "you can buy one cheap on eBay" and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Even more so for mobile phones. :thumbsdown:

A box I can live without but proof of payment I think is very important and most can't provide it - dodgy as hell

most of my camera kit is 2nd hand, i dont have receipts.

I try and keep boxes for everything.If space is an issue they can always be folded flat

not with the amount of carboard within the box of some items.. gets very messy and mixed up quickly.

most of my camera kit is 2nd hand, i dont have receipts.

not with the amount of carboard within the box of some items.. gets very messy and mixed up quickly.

Yes second hand - but if I bought a brand new lens under 6 months ago I'd have some sort of receipt or at least be able to obtain one. Maybe it's just me then ...

If it's something that will retain decent value and you reckon you will sell later on then keep the box, otherwise I chuck the box once the warranty has expired.

18 posts as to whether to keep a bit of cardboard;:wacky::wacky:

Think of the the butterfly effect. We lost the Empire over something that started off as trivial as this.

ah yes, good point. I remember the "good old days" when 1/4 of the globe was pink and the sun never set upon the empire

Mine always go in the loft with the receipt lol

+2.

I'm lucky - I have a loft. Boxes weigh very little so put almost no extra strain on the timbers, just eat space! Putting the receipt in the box makes it easy to find too - far harder to lose a box than a small slip of paper!

In my experience, having an item boxed can make a huge difference to the saleability and trade in price. I wouldn't buy an unboxed item unless the price reflected the lack - and even then, I'd make sure I got at least a manual (even for a lens!).

gman said:
If it's something that will retain decent value and you reckon you will sell later on then keep the box

I do the same. Camera gear, anything made by Apple, most small electronics like DVD players etc I will keep the box for.

When looking to purchase second hand I always prefer to have a box but its not a deal breaker if its not available.
Having spent a fair amount of time checking eBay and MPB it seems that if the box is included it adds to the price.

I try and keep the boxes to small, valuable items but living in a 1 bedroom flat space is at a premium (especially if you saw the clothes/shoes/handbags the wife assures me are the "bare minimum" required :LOL: ) and they normally get binned after a year or so.

Having said that I do tend to keep hold of the receipts.

I'm rubbish - I think all stores should email receipts so I don't lose them. I keep boxes for as long as I see necessary, usually until it's out of warranty

I keep all my boxes for electrical stuff. Only trouble is some of those boxes are quite large for my other hobby quilting. I drive my family crazy. They would chuck them all out :)
Kath

I collect diecast models, I keep all the boxes for these. As not having them effects the value. However for anything else it generally gets chucked out after a month or two.

I all ways find a place for mine and hang on to them
This^,also most boxes can be easily dismantled to a flat form to take up less space;saying that though having recently put the boxes from my recent purchases(mostly from here:D) in the loft I realise I have some thinning out to do:thumbsdown:.

I keep my photography boxes for the simple reason that if I ever sell items, people like to have the boxes.

Buyers probably like to buy with the boxes because if they sell on they know that people like to have the boxes.

Buyers probably like to buy with the boxes because......

Oh hang on.

If everybody binned the boxes we'd be OK.

Last edited:
I try and keep the boxes, only because it makes it so much easier to post if I do sell it, Trying to package all the individual bits is a nightmare, much easier to plop it all back in it's neatly cutout box and wrap that! Plus it does give a more cared for illusion when selling.

I keep most boxes. Once whatever it is has deceased then I make sure the box is chucked. I don't always remember so I do have boxes for long dead gadgets.

It's not always easy to get stuff back in the original packaging though. I've had a few losing fights with polystyrene over the years.

I collect diecast models, I keep all the boxes for these. As not having them effects the value. However for anything else it generally gets chucked out after a month or two.

But it's only because of kids like me, who immediately threw away the boxes and then actually played with our toys, that anal retentives like you have a pension plan! :p

the box my 2nd hand body came in is the only box I've kept, and that's only because I might sell it when (or if) I upgrade, and that's only because peeps are more likely to buy it 2nd hand if it has its box.

otherwise all boxes go in the bin once I'm happy with my purchase. If it needs to go back under warranty it goes back sans original packaging. I will keep receipts for items over £50 until they are past their warranty date.

however I do know people who keep all boxes, even the polythene bags that the cables come in - and they store the said item in its box. These are the same people who keep the plastic on their sofa :LOL:

Well as I'm downsizing and moving shortly, I can see a classified post coming up to sell all my camera gear boxes as you lot seem to value them so highly (y) :LOL::LOL:

But it's only because of kids like me, who immediately threw away the boxes and then actually played with our toys, that anal retentives like you have a pension plan! :p

Lol. It's not dinkies etc I collect. But 1/18th models that ain't designed for playing with.
IMG_2490.jpg

Last edited:
Depends what it's for. If there's a chance I might sell it in the future, then its a definite keeper.

PS. Mr Yin, can you resize your signature please, it's too big :)

Back