Knackered PC

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
My good lady powered off the desktop a couple of hours ago and it's dead. Pushing the power button,nothing,fans power up for a second but no boot sequence initiates. I've changed out the psu for a new one and it's made no difference, same things happens, so I guess it's a motherboard problem. Any advice appreciated.

After the fans stop does the PC still have power or does all power cease?

A year or so ago I problem with a PC I'd rebuilt. When I switched on all the lights came on, fans whirred and everything look OK, for a few seconds and then everything died. I could repeat this easily - all on, everything starting for a few seconds, then dead - it never got any further. After trying loads of things I found out, as far I I could tell, it was the power switch on the case. Something had gone wrong with it. I moved everything into a new case and it worked first time and is still going.

HTH

Dave

Hi Dave. Systems powering up for probably a second, single beep and nothing else. Apologies for the short reply-on the phone.

Sometimes pulling out the memory and reseating will get them going.
I guess over time the contacts are less than perfect.

You can try starting with one or more of the sticks taken out too - in case it's a bad one.

Last edited:
Re-seating the memory,no joy. I'm guessing the motherboard has gone. She did a Ctrl+Alt+Del Shutdown and it's well and truly shut down!

Reseat all cards as well as the memory. Run it with a single ram stick and onboard graphics if you can and remove all USB devices prior to rebooting it.
You could also reset the CMOS on the motherboard if you have the manual to work out which jumper to bridge.

Single beep is fine, are you sure you don't have a dodgy vga/dvi cable to the monitor?

Its normally a layer 1 problem first....

It could be the PSU and not the mobo. A PC at work did this after a power spike.

If you can't find the CMOS jumper, remove the battery on the MB, and leave it out for half an hour, and replace with a new one, usually CR2032. Make sure the PC is unplugged if you do this.....

Cheers for all the suggestions so far, but nothing's worked, to quote Monty Python, tis an ex PC, it's ceased to be...

Just got a price for a new system i5 4690 / 16GB / 240GB SSD / 1TB hard drive system, £695 built so will probably go with that as it's reasonable, locally built and trolling the net for systems/parts on a phone is a royal pain in the backside.

Back