L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
No idea if this will be popular but I know we have a few L-Mount owners now, particularly with the recent, excellent offers on the Panasonic S5. If not, well, I'm happy to talk to myself!

L-Mount Alliance Website: https://l-mount.com

Current L-Mount Cameras: https://l-mount.com/en/cameras

Current L-Mount Lenses: https://l-mount.com/en/lenses

The first thing I discovered is that finding gear (particularly used) is a nightmare, as it's often muddled in the Leica gear, sometimes Micro 4/3 and sometimes Sigma SA! The most foolproof technique I've worked out is to visit: https://usedlens.co.uk and then use the following search terms (one at a time) exactly as I've typed them below (with quotations)...

"l mount"
"l-mount"
"l fit"

MPB list L-Mount under Leica and they're always called "L Fit", although Used Lens will pick them up too.

For eBay don't use the specific mount filters, just search "l mount lens" and you'll pick up everything (plus some other random stuff).

Better have a photo I guess. My second photo with my S5 and 20-60mm. Always loved the clever Live Composite modes on the Micro 4/3 bodies so it's great to have the same functionality on a full-frame camera...

S5 Live Composite Test by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Image from a misty Richmond Park yesterday with the S5 and 20-60. I found the 20mm very useful at times a focal length I have never shot at before. This certainly redefines the kit lens genre as being of just acceptable quality. Iam very impressed with the sharpness.

Dark Roots by Adrian Jones, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yep it's the first kit lens I've not immediately sold! Having 20mm saves me needing to invest in a separate wide angle lens (of which there are currently no affordable options in L-Mount)

Yep it's the first kit lens I've not immediately sold! Having 20mm saves me needing to invest in a separate wide angle lens (of which there are currently no affordable options in L-Mount)
I never thought I would like the 20mm focal length but it has already given me a number of images I wouldn't have been able to take normally. The lack of affordable lenses and third party options will take some getting used to. I thought I was going to look at replacing the kit lens but currently this is going nowhere and I think my next lens will be the Panasonic 70-300. Iam currently working on a plan to get my wife on side with the idea.

S5 & 20-60mm

Multiple 13 second exposures using Live Composite in camera...

Bath by Night by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

I've just acquired a nice trio of Sigma DN lenses (35mm 1.2, 85mm 1.4, 100-400mm) and have some great stuff lined up over the next few weeks, can't wait! Love this camera.

Last edited:
Well, I gave into temptation and joined the S5 owners club, just waiting for the battery to charge.

I also found this useful website, with a list of all available L mount lenses.

I'm not a L-mount user but I join in on most brand threads since I like talking about gear.
Also big fan of sigma lenses which are also available on e-mount so I can may be add a few thoughts there.

Sigma 14-24mm/2.8 is amazing if you get a well centred copy.

P1010025 edited_Resized.jpg

Just a quick snap over the River Anker as the sun went down. All the foreground was silhouetted, but a quick play in Lightroom has brought all the details out. I've not taken many photos yet, but so far I'm really impressed with the S5, it's a big difference coming from a GH5.

Very nice (y)

This thread reminds me of my Pentax K-1 thread, I really enjoy using that camera but I'm so lonely in there :ROFLMAO:

Trail blazers :)

I’m considering a s5 for its live composit , any one with any insights for me ?

I have tried it on Olympus which I imagine is the same. It's a really useful features especially for shooting stars, light trails, light painting etc.
Wouldn't change camera systems for it myself but would love to have that feature on all cameras. Other things like sensor, AF, lenses etc matter more to me (not saying it's bad on S5, just saying that's my main consideration points)

Last edited:

I've used Live Comp a lot and absolutely love it. Used to have it on a Micro 43 body years ago so it's nice to have it back but with all the benefits of a full frame sensor. Dead easy to use, dial in settings, select Live Comp and let it crack on. Most of mine have been around an hour but I left it out one night for 4-5 hours and it was still going fine, battery was a bit low though!

Not much to else really, it just works. I'm hoping to head over to London once the nights draw in a bit more so I can do an evening of light trails etc, not much traffic/city life here in Wiltshire so I've been limited to star trails!

Yes.

Don't think there are too many of us but I like to be a little contrarian. Now the hunt for lens reviews lol.

I'm thinking a 50 mm to start but watched a video earlier that said the 85 is good (these are the Panasonic 1.8 ones).
can highly recommend the sigma 85mm f1.4 DN. I have it on e-mount and its my favourite 85mm lens and most used prime (especially for portraits).

I have the 50mm 1.8 Panasonic, not actually tried it on the camera yet, been busy and the weather has been miserable, but I'll try and get some sample images with it this week.

Think I will have to try the sigmas and Panasonic lenses out. Sigma seem to make good glass, but the Panasonic ones have an element of weather proofing I believe. Do the sigmas?
Yeah the art lenses are weathersealed

Ah I see they do a DG DN lens and a DG DN Art lens. Some are around £300-£400 price, and the Art ones are more expensive.

Also, what are people using for RAW conversion? I have canon DPD for my little M50 mk ii (although I've not edited anything yet just shoot jpeg and raw).

Wife asked if I want to try a professional / paid software for Christmas and had started looking into these.

What do you pros use?

Last edited:
Not a professional but I mainly use lightroom with a bit of Photoshop, affinity and topaz stuff when needed.

The free version of Nik Filters might be worth a look although the new version may well be worth the money.

No idea if this will be popular but I know we have a few L-Mount owners now, particularly with the recent, excellent offers on the Panasonic S5. If not, well, I'm happy to talk to myself!

L-Mount Alliance Website: https://l-mount.com

Current L-Mount Cameras: https://l-mount.com/en/cameras

Current L-Mount Lenses: https://l-mount.com/en/lenses

The first thing I discovered is that finding gear (particularly used) is a nightmare, as it's often muddled in the Leica gear, sometimes Micro 4/3 and sometimes Sigma SA! The most foolproof technique I've worked out is to visit: https://usedlens.co.uk and then use the following search terms (one at a time) exactly as I've typed them below (with quotations)...

"l mount"
"l-mount"
"l fit"

MPB list L-Mount under Leica and they're always called "L Fit", although Used Lens will pick them up too.

For eBay don't use the specific mount filters, just search "l mount lens" and you'll pick up everything (plus some other random stuff).

Better have a photo I guess. My second photo with my S5 and 20-60mm. Always loved the clever Live Composite modes on the Micro 4/3 bodies so it's great to have the same functionality on a full-frame camera...

S5 Live Composite Test by Chris Harrison, on Flickr
I need to learn how to do this..

Would it be okay to ask what settings you used to get that shot?

I may try and do something tonight as there will be fireworks etc going off.

Flick the dial round to M, 60 second exposure, f4, ISO 200, then dive into the menu and select Live Composite. It'll do a noise reduction shot first, then you hit the shutter again and it'll keep doing 60 second exposures until you hit the shutter again (or the battery runs out!) The LCD screen will update the image live after the first shot, so you'll know if you've got the exposure right.

This one was 2 hours of 60 second exposures, I just left it going and went and watched telly!

For fireworks I'd probably try 5 or 10 seconds, as they are obviously a lot brighter than stars.

Very interesting.

@ukaskew just had a browse through your Flickr stream Chris.

The one with the cat's paw, what are the "worms" in the out of focus areas? (zoom in to see them)

Is this due to the S5's sensor or the processing? It almost looks like the Fuji's worm issue I experienced a few years ago.

Very interesting.

@ukaskew just had a browse through your Flickr stream Chris.

The one with the cat's paw, what are the "worms" in the out of focus areas? (zoom in to see them)

Is this due to the S5's sensor or the processing? It almost looks like the Fuji's worm issue I experienced a few years ago.

I don't typically look at my photos closely :) Interestingly that was processed with Luminar AI, I'm not seeing any issues with my Lightroom processed shots (I'd expect to see it in a shot like this one, if so)...same camera/lens combo, same depth of field and subject at a similar distance.

Jo and James by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
I don't typically look at my photos closely :) Interestingly that was processed with Luminar AI, I'm not seeing any issues with my Lightroom processed shots (I'd expect to see it in a shot like this one, if so)...

Yeah agreed, just an observation really.

Looks a cracking camera.

I used to have an Oly EM5 MK2 and I really miss having the live composite view for night stuff.

I imagine the intersection between S5 users and Luminar AI users is close to zero, a niche within a niche!

Honestly Live Composite, full Sigma lens support (and the mega deal) was what pushed me over the edge, such a cool feature and really inspires me to get out there and try things rather than watch Netflix of an evening!

I'll be purchasing a lens in a few weeks. Are the sigma DG DN Art lenses worth the extra over the Panasonic 1.8 lenses?

I've seen some videos on YouTube stating that the picture quality is amazing but the focusing is better on the native lenses.

I'm contemplating buying the ART ones as I only need a couple so the extra money isn't a worry, but there was a video by a guy where he demonstrated the pulsing on focus with the sigma lens in photo mode (I don't care about video / AF in video).

Plus they are massive compared to the native 1.8s - so they will make it look like I know what I'm doing lol

Back