L-Mount Alliance Owners Thread

I got an email from Panasonic today saying they will have a stand at the Photography Show (first time in 5 years!). I'm looking forward to seeing all their latest kit on display. Is anyone else going?
I've always fancied visiting the Photography show but its a bit of a trek from Edinburgh; I also fear for the safety of my credit card were I to attend!

• Haha
Reactions: CSB
Panasonic have released a new super zoom lens, the 28-200mm f4-7.1 with OIS. It's only slightly larger than the Panasonic series of primes and the reviews are looking quite favourable despite the slow max aperture at 200mm.

I'm not sure I'd give up my 24-105 for it, but it might suit some people as a travel lens. Also, it's good to see Panasonic releasing more alternative lenses for the L mount system, I'm hoping for an f2.8 pancake prime next, something around 28 or 35mm.

Excellent news! I've loaned mine to a friend but will get it updated when he returns it.
Hey Adam, have you had opportunity to test the new firmware on the 150-600? Just wondering if there was any significant improvements? Thanks

I'm not sure I'd give up my 24-105 for it, but it might suit some people as a travel lens.
Probably this. The extra length may be useful but certainly in cities I’d prefer wider. It is a bit slower than I’d like also - just had a few days in Tokyo and tripods are not a viable option and wider probably better than longer.

Hey Adam, have you had opportunity to test the new firmware on the 150-600? Just wondering if there was any significant improvements? Thanks
I have managed a couple of outings with it and the stabilisation is even better. I already had a lot of confidence in handholding that lens but now it's even more of a breeze.

Here are a few recent shots with it.

P1074276.jpg

P1074773.jpg

P1059919.jpg

As ever, hopefully the resolution decrease for posting has left them looking OK!

I have managed a couple of outings with it and the stabilisation is even better. I already had a lot of confidence in handholding that lens but now it's even more of a breeze.

Here are a few recent shots with it.

View attachment 417175

View attachment 417176

View attachment 417177

As ever, hopefully the resolution decrease for posting has left them looking OK!
Some great photos there Adam!

The V1.2 lens firmware supposedly increased AF tracking capabilities, but good to hear it improved the stabilisation too.

Some great photos there Adam!

The V1.2 lens firmware supposedly increased AF tracking capabilities, but good to hear it improved the stabilisation too.
Thanks! The AF was improved from what I noticed too. Responded to the camera's prompt faster and more accurately. I only tried a couple of difficult subject tracking shots but I'll see how it goes at another time.

Has anyone got the 100mm Panasonic Macro yet? I do some close up videography with tarantulas using my Sigma 105mm but the saved weight and size of the Panasonic would be a benefit I think.

Has anyone got the 100mm Panasonic Macro yet? I do some close up videography with tarantulas using my Sigma 105mm but the saved weight and size of the Panasonic would be a benefit I think.
No sorry. I'm sticking with my sigma 105 and the two Laowa lenses I have.

I have however realised that I've got some firmware updates to do tomorrow...whoops

Yeah, you just get the box at the moment rather than the crosshairs over the eye.

I believe they'll be able to implement it though because of a few things:

* Processor being the same new gen processor in both S5ii and G9ii

* The eye box is technically already present on the S5ii - this was their first phase detect implementation so I'd guess the new functionality the G9ii has is due to development time rather than overall capability

* As the eye box is already present, I don't think it's going to take up too much additional processing power to write a display call into the code to make it visible to the end user.

That's the assumption of an IT professional though, not a camera manufacturer so take it with a pinch of salt. The good thing is, I have such confidence in the S5ii and it's ability to grab the eye, I don't need the comfort of seeing the box any more. If they do implement it, it's a nice to have but the thing just works. A really good bit of kit.

Remember we were talking about the G9ii Autofocus a while back @Adamcski?

Looks like we're in luck

Firmware leak suggests that the G9ii AF system is coming to the S5ii and S5iiX this month. It's also adding the pre-burst feature for the 30fps electronic shutter mode.

Honestly can't knock Lumix for the continued support of their camera bodies and implementing features they could easily use to nudge people into upgrading bodies.

They've definitely gained a long term customer in me for this approach alone.

It's quite unusual to have a big announcement about firmware. Guess we'll know in a couple of hours!
Looks like we'll be hearing something from Lumix today. I'd say the new firmware may be included with this briefing.

No new body announcement but while not important for everybody, the frame.io integration is huge and the proxy video recording is going to be huge for videography professionals who collaborate.

I'm looking forward to getting out to do some wildlife photography to test the AF improvements for sure though.

I didn't think the new firmware update was live until 21 Apr?

Back