La Corrida de Toros. The Bullfight.

Interesting treatment. You've captured the blood and sand colours - the red and yellow - of the Spanish flag nicely. The vignette puts the spotlight on the matador and keeps the crowd where they belong. And you've caught the subjects in a great position. And it's nice and clear and detailed. I would have framed it little higher to show a little less of the sand and a little more of the crowd, but your framing keeps the subject in the viewer's attention.

Bullfighting is a subject that I abhor. And you've created a very nice photo of it.

Interesting treatment. You've captured the blood and sand colours - the red and yellow - of the Spanish flag nicely. The vignette puts the spotlight on the matador and keeps the crowd where they belong. And you've caught the subjects in a great position. And it's nice and clear and detailed. I would have framed it little higher to show a little less of the sand and a little more of the crowd, but your framing keeps the subject in the viewer's attention.

Bullfighting is a subject that I abhor. And you've created a very nice photo of it.

Thank you Garry. Of course I realise it's a very controversial topic, and I really appreciate your critique.

]
Untitled by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

I bet the bull must be over the moon.

D in W...Disgusted.

This is in the general photo sharing section. I am watching my words carefully as I hate everything to do with this "sport".

Going before I say something I may regret

]

I bet the bull must be over the moon.

D in W...Disgusted.

This is in the general photo sharing section. I am watching my words carefully as I hate everything to do with this "sport".

Going before I say something I may regret

Guys this is a photo forum, not a political one. With regards to the last comment. I didn't put it in the sport forum because no-one thinks of it as a sport. Here, the reports of the corridas are not found in the sports section of the newspapers, but the culture section.

My suggestion would be, if you abhor this thing which is culturally important to the Hispanic world, then don't enter the thread.

Guys this is a photo forum, not a political one. With regards to the last comment. I didn't put it in the sport forum because no-one thinks of it as a sport. Here, the reports of the corridas are not found in the sports section of the newspapers, but the culture section.

My suggestion would be, if you abhor this thing which is culturally important to the Hispanic world, then don't enter the thread.

What, you excect us to keep shtum.:nono:

Freedom of speech and all that, the post should have carried a health warning....!

D in W....Still disgusted

Last edited:
What, you excect us to keep shtum.:nono:

Freedom of speech and all that, the post should have carried a health warning....!

D in W....Still disgusted

The thread is entited "La Corrida de Toros. The Bullfight". That's pretty clear. Did you not consider what may be included within?

As for freedom of speech, well we all have the right to that. But this is a photo forum, not a political one. If you want to share your views on the parts of Hispanic culture you don't find palatable, then (in my opinion) political or animal welfare forums would be more appropriate surely.

The thread is entited "La Corrida de Toros. The Bullfight". That's pretty clear. Did you not consider what may be included within?

As for freedom of speech, well we all have the right to that. But this is a photo forum, not a political one. If you want to share your views on the parts of Hispanic culture you don't find palatable, then (in my opinion) political or animal welfare forums would be more appropriate surely.

I'm with you on this one... Dave and John, you have seen what the thread was titled, therefore used a little common sense to realise what was within the thread :thinking: Tip for the future: If you don't agree with bullfighting, don't click on a thread that says "La Corrida de Toros. The Bullfight" Simples. It saves what could possibly turn into an arguement - like mentioned this is not a political forum, but a photorgaphy one! Go to Out of focus if you're gonna start a debate on bullfighting.

Personally I think the first photo is great, well composed and nice colours. (y)

I like the picture, you have the subjects very crisp.

I know its lens dependant and that its unlikely to be acheiveable but I would have liked the crowd to be more blurred. Perhaps a mild gaussian post processing?

Chain is very well done although youd need context of the other pic - it also could be used in adverts

Congrats on the pics

I agree with Garry K. that if you were trying to capture the crowd as well then less sand and more crowd makes the picture work better. Otherwise the two subjects beg for a much tighter crop.

The vignette I think only works if the crop was tighter. With the spectators in the background I don't think it does much for the picture.

Otherwise the two subjects beg for a much tighter crop.

Hola and thanks for the note. I have over 200 photos to process, many of which are tighter crops, such as the one below as well as some even tighter. I tried to take a variety of images using a 10-20mm and 55-200mm. I will be posting some more in due course.

Hola and thanks for the note. I have over 200 photos to process, many of which are tighter crops, such as the one below as well as some even tighter. I tried to take a variety of images using a 10-20mm and 55-200mm. I will be posting some more in due course.

Good action shots. I like the sharpness and the crop of the first one and the action in the 2nd one. I'm interested to see some of the tighter shots as well.

I can't understand the problem with the photographs. I guess everybody opposed to them are probally strict vegetarians who hate hunting and fishing. I would try and desaturate the shots a little bit, they seem to have a yellow hue on them?

Good action shots. I like the sharpness and the crop of the first one and the action in the 2nd one. I'm interested to see some of the tighter shots as well.

Thank you. Slowly working through the set!

I can't understand the problem with the photographs. I guess everybody opposed to them are probally strict vegetarians who hate hunting and fishing. I would try and desaturate the shots a little bit, they seem to have a yellow hue on them?

Hi David, the look is deliberate. I am using a lomo effect on them. Whenever I think of the corrida I think of Hemmingway and the bullfighting art of those days which was tinted similarly. I want to have that kind of feel to the images.

It is interesting that some people feel the need to get on a soap box for something they don't agree with even though the context is something completely different, perhaps their energies would be best focused elsewhere such as whining on a bull fighting forum.

As for the latter two photos, they are fantastic and really do capture the action and closeness of the two subjects. At the risk of offending the hankerchief wavers I would like to see a little more saturation of the blood just to see what the final effect would look like. May work, may not :)

I appreciate your comments however you cannot expect photographs like this not to evoke feelings & comments.

I have deleted my comment in accordance with your wishes

I'm not vegetarian - I just don't like looking at photos of animals with swords/spears stuck in them and bleeding profusely whilst someone makes them endure a lot of pain and a prolonged death in the name of sport or culture or whatever it's called.. If you enjoy looking at photos of animals in this situation then that is your choice - this is mine.

Shocking pictures tbh. It's animal cruelty at it's finest.

I might pop out in to the garden and stick some stakes into the nearest cat I can find and post some pictures for critique.

At the end of the day your going to get people like myself posting comments like I have on a forum that ends .co.uk where such 'sports' are illegal.

for me, i think the photo's are great. They bring to the fore something that we won't get to see very often and the images stir the emotions of the event.
Photography is about capturing moments and leaving the viewer to make their own assumptions / decisions on how it affects them.

If you feel this subject matter upsets you or makes you say 'wow' then they have done their job. I'm in the latter camp. Great work (y)

I think you've caught the Hemingway-esque mood perfectly. As you say they're very redolent of the bullfighting poster art that you can still see in Spain. Love them all.

I might pop out in to the garden and stick some stakes into the nearest cat I can find and post some pictures for critique.

At the end of the day your going to get people like myself posting comments like I have on a forum that ends .co.uk where such 'sports' are illegal.

You are whining in the wrong place. No one refers to this as a sport, as I have pointed out before. Conveniently you have forgotten this is a photo forum, not a political one. The chances are you care so little about this that you have done precisely nothing about it in your life. Of course we all have an opinion, but as I say again, this place is where you share your opinion about photography and not politics and animal issues. It is not hard to understand.

Furthermore, if you don't like the subject matter, then don't enter the thread. If you are only coming in to ignore the photographic issues, and only to debate, then it's trolling.

Last edited:
Photography is about capturing moments and leaving the viewer to make their own assumptions / decisions on how it affects them.

If you feel this subject matter upsets you or makes you say 'wow' then they have done their job. I'm in the latter camp. Great work (y)

This view absolves the tog of all responsability, moral ethical or otherwise to the situation they are capturing, and I cant agree with it.

On topic; well executed shots, whilst not perfect technically they convey the emotion of the event well. The subject matter will split opion on here as it does in society, and the subject is as much part of the photograph as any other element I feel it should be discussed , maybe in a dedicated thread on what people consider acceptable subject matter.

I'm not vegetarian - I just don't like looking at photos of animals with swords/spears stuck in them and bleeding profusely whilst someone makes them endure a lot of pain and a prolonged death in the name of sport or culture or whatever it's called.. If you enjoy looking at photos of animals in this situation then that is your choice - this is mine.

Then do not look at a thread entitle Bullfight. Simples.

It is interesting that some people feel the need to get on a soap box for something they don't agree with even though the context is something completely different, perhaps their energies would be best focused elsewhere such as whining on a bull fighting forum.

As for the latter two photos, they are fantastic and really do capture the action and closeness of the two subjects. At the risk of offending the hankerchief wavers I would like to see a little more saturation of the blood just to see what the final effect would look like. May work, may not :)

Interesting post. I did not take one photo of a corpse actually. For me the fact that most bullfights end in the death of the bull is incidental. What happens prior to that is the fascinating part, than can only be understood if you've been to one, and you "get it". Believe me, in many ways the process is more akin to a classical dance routine than you would believe.

I really do like these images as documentary photographs. You have captured the mood and action really well. I like the processing too, it adds to the feel.

Whether I agree with bullfighting or not, I can appreciate the images for what they are - Pictures of something that features in the spanish culture. As said, if you disagree with it, then the title suggest what you will find, so don't click.

On a personal note, living in Spain, I think that bull fighting is barbaric, BUT I can appreciate the art and mastery involved in the ring. The matadors are true artists.

Last edited:
This view absolves the tog of all responsability, moral ethical or otherwise to the situation they are capturing, and I cant agree with it.

That is equivalent to blaming BBC News for taking photographs of starving children in Africa - why should the tog be held accountable? The tog has attended a national sport and taken some photos - these photos have evoked huge emotion it would seem on all sides. The photos have perfectly done their job so you should be thanking him especially if it reinforces your idea that this type of sport is wrong. This is what good photos do, they inspire people to believe in something or not and in some cases do something about it.

I appreciate your comments however you cannot expect photographs like this not to evoke feelings & comments.

I have deleted my comment in accordance with your wishes

Of course I expect them to invoke something. But we are here to show and critique photography. Yesterday you made your feelings on the matter clear, so the only reason to enter the thread today was to debate.

for me, i think the photo's are great. They bring to the fore something that we won't get to see very often and the images stir the emotions of the event.

I think you've caught the Hemingway-esque mood perfectly. As you say they're very redolent of the bullfighting poster art that you can still see in Spain. Love them all.

On topic; well executed shots, whilst not perfect technically they convey the emotion of the event well. The subject matter will split opion on here as it does in society, and the subject is as much part of the photograph as any other element I feel it should be discussed , maybe in a dedicated thread on what people consider acceptable subject matter.

I really do like these images as documentary photographs. You have captured the mood and action really well. I like the processing too, it adds to the feel.

Whether I agree with bullfighting or not, I can appreciate the images for what they are - Pictures of something that features in the spanish culture. As said, if you disagree with it, then the title suggest what you will find, so don't click.

On a personal note, living in Spain, I think that bull fighting is barbaric, BUT I can appreciate the art and mastery involved in the ring. The matadors are true artists.

Thanks for the comments and critique on the photos (y)

I prefer the tighter crops, seeing the facial expression gives it a more personal feel compared to the poster-like presentation of the first image. Like them though, good colour if not very faithful I think it suits the image.

In response to Kev's (Tioc) comment above, where you you sit with war photographers or those journalists out in troubled areas?

EDIT: jeez this thread is moving fast this morning, I was aiming for post 30.

Last edited:

Exactly my thoughts.

Would it be acceptable to post a photo no matter how "technically good" it is of a battered child (or worse)? Decapitated dog? A horse being beaten with a sledgehammer? Your partner's head being stomped on?

The subject is very important when it's cruelty.

I am not going to close this thread (as requested by some)

For the record I am a vegetarian and against hunting and fishing, but bull fighting is part of some countries culture. I don't like it, but it exists and for that reason photos will be taken of it. Photos that create debate are all well and good, and for that reason I am also not going to remove any posts from this thread.

Please keep things civil. Insults, abuse or trolling wont be tolerated.

In response to Kev's (Tioc) comment above, where you you sit with war photographers or those journalists out in troubled areas?

The objective and purpose of such photography is very different and is usually about bringing awareness of the wrongs and is also about future prevention. The subject of the photos are the important part and not their technical merits.

Exactly my thoughts.

Would it be acceptable to post a photo no matter how "technically good" it is of a battered child (or worse)?
The subject is very important when it's cruelty.

Just pulling one example from your list out, but the NSPCC mock up this very picture REGULARLY for advertising campaigns, are you saying they are wrong and should be banned form advertising for charitable donations?

IMHO photography is an amazing way of capturing and sharing important info (especially now we have the internet to push images around to people) be that a cultural experience that you may or may not agree with, images of war torn areas to show what is going on outside your comfortable little box etc etc.

NJo idea what your thoughts are on live aid and its spin offs but without the pictures Geldof's fundraising would have failed totally.

EDIT, to respond to the above: maybe the OP wants to become a photo journalist and is looking for crit on how to improve, no reason these photos to bring awareness to situations should be done badly. You could easily use some of those tighter crops in an awareness against the cruelty of bullfighting, especially the one of the bull stumbling with blood on the matador's clothing.

Last edited:
Back