La Corrida de Toros. The Bullfight.

EDIT, to respond to the above: maybe the OP wants to become a photo journalist and is looking for crit on how to improve,

I'd say this would just be clutching at straws to be honest. The OP is clearly and admirer of this "culture" and has no interest in opposing it - but that's up to him.

I'm going to leave this one now, I can't stand animal cruelty, especially deliberate one - which is all this will ever be no matter how good the photo may be.

I am not going to close this thread (as requested by some)

Frankly I am staggered that anyone requested that. Jeez....

EDIT, to respond to the above: maybe the OP wants to become a photo journalist and is looking for crit on how to improve, no reason these photos to bring awareness to situations should be done badly.

I'd say this would just be clutching at straws to be honest. The OP is clearly and admirer of this "culture" and has no interest in opposing it - but that's up to him.

I'm going to leave this one now, I can't stand animal cruelty, especially deliberate one - which is all this will ever be no matter how good the photo may be.

I am a HUGE admirer of all aspects of Spanish culture and the bullfighting is just ONE aspect of that culture. Over the past few months I have shared many varied aspects of Spanish culture whether it be Semana Santa:

Semana Santa en Alicante by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Los Ángeles by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Semana Santa en Alicante by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Or what is happening this week, Las Hogueras de San Juan:

Vestidos Preciosos by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Lágrimas by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Amor by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Now, whether you like it or not, I will continue to share aspects of this culture that I adore and I won't apologise for any of it. Once again, thanks to those that haven't been constructive.

Sorry ... Photographs of someone tormenting and torturing an animal (even in arts name .. :shrug:) leave me cold.

Then don't enter a thread entitled "Bullfight". I am staggered that people enter a thread that they have no interest in. Amazing.:wacky:

"It's our culture...." they cry. :shake:

So is female circumcision in many countries, shall we start posting photos of that....so long as they are good photos of course. Besides, what they do to the bull prior to the fight to make him easy prey is horrific.

It's the people who support this who are the animals. I'm with John and out of this one, no point wasting anymore time with people like that.

Exactly my thoughts.

Would it be acceptable to post a photo no matter how "technically good" it is of a battered child (or worse)? Decapitated dog? A horse being beaten with a sledgehammer? Your partner's head being stomped on?

The subject is very important when it's cruelty.

The objective and purpose of such photography is very different and is usually about bringing awareness of the wrongs and is also about future prevention. The subject of the photos are the important part and not their technical merits.

Please get a grip... this is a culture, a way of life. Battering a child, dedcapitating a dog, horses being beaten with sledgehammers or a partners head being stomped on are not apart of any 'culture' and i believe what you have said doesn't relate to this debate and was unnecessary. :thumbsdown:

Then don't enter a thread entitled "Bullfight". I am staggered that people enter a thread that they have no interest in. Amazing.:wacky:

:agree:

By the way, would just like to make clear. I'm neither for or against Bullfighting, but is a topic that fascinates me.

"It's our culture...." they cry. :shake:

So is female circumcision in many countries, shall we start posting photos of that....so long as they are good photos of course. Besides, what they do to the bull prior to the fight to make him easy prey is horrific.

It's the people who support this who are the animals. I'm with John and out of this one, no point wasting anymore time with people like that.

Adios (y)

Sorry ... Photographs of someone tormenting and torturing an animal (even in arts name .. :shrug:) leave me cold.

At least you are now admitting it's barbaric.

My work here is done.

At least you are now admitting it's barbaric.

My work here is done.

I am sorry, but how childish is this? Have you just entered from the playground? I have not said that at all. Bating me with your "My work here is done" and then scurrying away. I mean c'mon, read what you just wrote. You should be ashamed.

I am sorry, but how childish is this? Have you just entered from the playground? I have not said that at all. Bating me with your "My work here is done" and then scurrying away. I mean c'mon, read what you just wrote. You should be ashamed.

The irony of telling some one they should be ashamed.

Scottynoooo said:
The irony of telling some one they should be ashamed.

Really? It was merely documentation of a culture.

I genuinely cannot believe how this has been blown out of proportion. Bullfighting images have been posted before but have never ended up being like this!

It is your culture. British culture is against animal cruelty in all forms and as has pointed out to you in another post this board ends in .UK. Maybe a tad insensitive to British culture?
Perhaps if you posted the photos on a photography board that ended in .SP you would not have got the results that you do not like.

That is equivalent to blaming BBC News for taking photographs of starving children in Africa - why should the tog be held accountable? The tog has attended a national sport and taken some photos - these photos have evoked huge emotion it would seem on all sides. The photos have perfectly done their job so you should be thanking him especially if it reinforces your idea that this type of sport is wrong. This is what good photos do, they inspire people to believe in something or not and in some cases do something about it.

I think you have misread my post, The part you have quoted was aimed at the post I quoted, I then went on to talk about the photos of the bullfight, which although quite challenging viewing I dont disagree with at all.
The emotion in the photos is what comes across to me and I fully support them being posted, but to do so will start a debate on the subject matter involved and not just the technical aspects of the shots, wether the OP meant this or not.
If my original post came across wrongly I appollogise and hope I have cleared up my position.

I think several people need to back out of this thread as some are getting way too hot under the collar, there is a clue in the title of the thread as to the content, a NSFW in the title and the ability to use the back button. I don't like bullfighting but im not going to ban photos of it, simply ignore the user and don't view the threads if it offends.

Where this forum is based has nothing to do with what photographs can be shown on it.

As the gentle approach didn't work earlier lets try this.

People who don't like bull fighting and have nothing to add about the photographs DO NOT post anymore.

People who want to offer comments on the photographs (not if this is animal cruelty, the rights or wrongs of it, etc) feel free to comment.

ANY MORE COMMENTS NOT ABOUT THE PHOTOGRAPHS WILL BE REMOVED AND APPROPRIATE ACTION WILL BE TAKEN.

Is this easier to understand?

If people stopped taking and showing pictures because it may offend, then really what would we be able to look at? I am thinking of the iconic photo taken in Vietnam or Korea I think it was of someone being shot in the head because they disagreed with the party line at the time. That would offend people, should it not be shown on those grounds?

Woops- threads crossed with JL!! Sorry.

My god! I have followed this thread and am a little amazed at it to be honest!
I dont agree with bullfighting, but infact, it doesnt bother me enough to go and do anything about it - i.e. protest to the people who do it or the governments who allow it etc..

Now the thread was named well, and it was clear what was in it. I took a look because I was interested in seeing what kinds of shots he had managed, and I think they are of a decent quality.

I am gobsmacked that the mods here have let this carry on. The OP has not said anything offencive, has been restrained and thanked the people for whom gave constructive opinions on his techniques and outcomes, he gave a warning on the thread title, and in my opinion dont NOTHING wrong!!!

You aren't allowed to comment on the actual models in N&G, nor are you allowed to troll, and in any other thread the mods would be screaming / giving warnings out and who knows what else because repeatadly people have gone off topic and not focused on what the thread and forum section dictate!

If this had happened in any other critique section, heads would have rolled! If the forum sees posting photos of bullfights as perfectly legit, why on earth are you letting people ruin this guys thread??????

To all the people baiting and complaining about the subject of his photos, why did you enter? It can only have been to cause an arguement or make a joke of this thread. You all repeatadly come in, have a go, say your no longer interested because your distressed, and then pop back in and have another go!

Bunch of wusses! Go and get a grip. If you dont like something, then leave it be and get on with something else! Either that or go and take it higher, don't blame the guy who is taking a photo of something that is currently legal to 1) photograph 2) upload and share!!

Anyway, don't you moaners have a day job to be getting on with!?

I think I typed for a little too long. It would seem alot has happened since, ay mods! :shrug:

Thanks Mods. Let's discuss photography!

Oh, and I dunno why someone suggested I am Spanish! Born and bred in Sunny High Wycombe.

I do have other threads on the go too :)

Hey Ricardo. I for one enjoy your insights into Spanish culture - both the beauty and ugliness you show us. I feel you could step back from the vignette button but that's my taste. Sometimes the processing works for me - e.g. I like Lagrimas very much - but sometimes it's perhaps a tad overdone - e.g. Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Hey Ricardo. I for one enjoy your insights into Spanish culture - both the beauty and ugliness you show us. I feel you could step back from the vignette button but that's my taste. Sometimes the processing works for me - e.g. I like Lagrimas very much - but sometimes it's perhaps a tad overdone - e.g. Los Angeles.

Thanks. Being a foreigner means I find the culture so very different and it totally fascinates me. When I moved here I made a point of not moving to a British enclave deliberately so I could immerse myself in the culture and not be a typical ex-pat. With regards to my photography, I really appreciate your comments. I bought the camera in March last year so I am still a total novice. It's very basic, a Nikon D3000, but it's helping me to learn. I do like to try different things, and sometimes they work better than at other time. Once again, thank you (y)

Before I start, I'm going to say theres nothing different about these types of Photographs if we compare them to cage fighting or boxing. I don't agree with cruelty to animals, and im not too fond of Blood sports either.

However, I think you've captured a great hispanic past time well. And i wasn't disgusted or shocked when i seen them,Which i would have expected myself to be,but more interested.

John

Before I start, I'm going to say theres nothing different about these types of Photographs if we compare them to cage fighting or boxing. I don't agree with cruelty to animals, and im not too fond of Blood sports either.

However, I think you've captured a great hispanic past time well. And i wasn't disgusted or shocked when i seen them,Which i would have expected myself to be,but more interested.

John

Cheers John.

Hi Ricardo. I'll skip over all the preceding stuff and say I like the way you've made the colors similar to the Spanish flag, makes me think of those old posters you see in Andalusian bars. I agree with others, the vignette is a bit too strong. Would be good to see some close ups of the spectators and the bull fighter if you ever get the chance. Makes me want to read Hemingway again...

i love the photography (y) but hate bullfighting, but my wife would love to go and see one. "you can,t please everyone".:clap:

Forget the whinges, for me the the first photo would be better off without the vignette, otherwise good shots, but would have thought the subject would offer better possibilities Think you got closer in 2 and 3.

if i see a title saying cats I ignore it and dont look, cant stand the horrible bugggers, messing my garden killing birds etc, but I dont go and post, kill all cats and have them eradicated which is my own feeling. so if it says bullfighting stay away, its not rocket science

I love these photos, reminds me of my honeymoon in spain, went to a bar and it had bullfighting on the tv, never seen it before(ok knew what it was and all that but) I was amazed at the training and time taken to get to the standard these bullfighters do, especially witht he horses.
It was a real show and like said their culture, the bulls are bred for this not just taken out of the feild of pasture.

The photos are sharp and really give a sence of what was happening
Look forward to some more

spike

I'm going to go slightly against the grain here.

Ricardo I think that these are a huge improvement on your last set in terms of processing, but there is something missing. It's difficult to put my finger on, but I think that a very slight introduction of soft focus might be it. As well as Hemingwayesque, I see these as a photograph version of the advertising posters, so maybe something in that direction might add as well?

Anyway, next time go for a different approach - you've had two cracks at this style now! :)

I can absolutely understand the fascination of the bull ring. My cousin took part in the run at San Fermin 24 times and it's something that I hope to do one day, although I'll have to get a touch fitter first.

However you view the Corrida I suspect that its years are numbered, possibly to a decade or so, but something like this once lost is gone forever. Make sure that you carry on documenting it.

it depends how one sees ''cruelty''
in Manitoba I hunted geese and duck
now back in the UK, some people remark 'how shocking' yet buy their caged chicken shrink-wrapped portions from the supermarket.....:shrug:

for the record - I attended a bull-fight in Madrid
I am glad I went - to experience the whole spectacle
I wont go again
but I have no right to dictate my thoughts on a culture not my own

1st off Ricardodaforce well done for keeping cool in the face of adversity (y)

I'll admit that I am not a fan of bull fighting (for what ever reason)
But the images are very thought provoking and well processed (y)

Its interesting to see other cultures "at play"
and as already mentioned, there are "far worse" images of war etc that are now classed
as Iconic.

I'm afraid that a lot of my fellow countrymen get far to het up over animal "abuse"
where there are far worse atrocities visited on humans around the world ;)
(sorry mods I did digress a little ;) )
Again, nice set (y)

Think I might start a thread called "Shredded Kittens" or "Dead Babies". It would probably get so many views from people who had no interest in seeing such images that the forum would crash!

@Ricardo: I was wondering how come your English was that good... :D

Thanks for posting the other pictures in this thread. I missed them elsewhere. I especially like the Semana Santa ones. Looks like you were playing with the Orton Effect on one or two of them.

Back