Laptops...

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Looking like I am going to be having to replace my laptop soon, currently running an i5 4200m with 8gb ram. Using elements and premiere 13, which may well be upgraded to v15. Not quite sure yet how much I can commit, but would be interested on opinions of these please. 2 different prices I know, but how would a new 7th gen i5 compare with what I have now? I see it has a U designation, which all I appear to be coming across.

I5 7200u hp Would it do the job nicely even being a U processor?
And then looking around I find this one with dedicated graphics and a really good processor(?) and seems a good price..

Thoughts and help greatly appreciated.

The HP has a dual core processor, while the other machine is quad core. If you use premier then I suspect you'd notice the difference.

The biggest difference to speed on a computer that I have noticed is since I installed my SSD (Solid State Drive). My computer now boots up in under 20 seconds and programs load faster as well.

PS Elements loads in a third or maybe quarter of the time it did when I was using my old HDD.

I don't do any video editing so I cannot comment on Premiere.

If I was buying another computer today I would insist on a SSD.

as far as I know premiere elements does not offer any GPU acceleration so CPU will certainly matter if wanting to get a video processed in a reasonable time.

The HP has a dual core processor, while the other machine is quad core. If you use premier then I suspect you'd notice the difference.

its the elements version if that makes a difference.

From what I understand, Photoshop and Lightroom for that matter, dont use the processor that much in terms of cores, its all about clock speed. I suppose if you edit heavy, stitching pano's stacking etc then you'll be wanting something that can run about 4.0 Mhz or higher, this coupled with 16gb RAM memory and a half decent graphics card should see you ok. Some Adobe software is poorly written and has been patched since day one of release. I have a 32gb RAM Xeon with 12 cores, 8gb graphics card, 500gb M.2PCIe which smashes on/offline video editing but still lightroom and to some extent PS runs like a dog. Remember laptop processors are not desktop processors!

From what I understand, Photoshop and Lightroom for that matter, dont use the processor that much in terms of cores, its all about clock speed. I suppose if you edit heavy, stitching pano's stacking etc then you'll be wanting something that can run about 4.0 Mhz or higher, this coupled with 16gb RAM memory and a half decent graphics card should see you ok. Some Adobe software is poorly written and has been patched since day one of release. I have a 32gb RAM Xeon with 12 cores, 8gb graphics card, 500gb M.2PCIe which smashes on/offline video editing but still lightroom and to some extent PS runs like a dog. Remember laptop processors are not desktop processors!
think it very much depends on what version.

the current CC version of PS lights up all 8 cores of my i7 running the old torture test action script.

current CC version of LR also uses all cores on a batch export for example (only way I could sustain a large load on the i7)

likewise Premiere Elements 12 lights up all 8 cores on publishing. does absolutely squat all on the GPU. litterally the usage is showing 0%

Last edited:
There you go, I refuse to go CC so I am running LR 6 stand alone and elements 13, 1 core lights up. LR is probably one of the worst pieces of software written, love the interface and everything else about it but just wished it was a slick as capture one. slightly off topic but..........

[sorry to continue off topic]

There you go, I refuse to go CC so I am running LR 6 stand alone and elements 13, 1 core lights up. LR is probably one of the worst pieces of software written, love the interface and everything else about it but just wished it was a slick as capture one. slightly off topic but..........

Try breaking the export up into chunks. eg. if you have 1,000 files to export, do it as four exports of 250 files, that makes it use all 4 cores for me.

So, if a laptop comes with a ssd will the operating system be installed on that? And installing the elements on the ssd it will perform better?

Yes, the OS will be installed on the SSD. Installing applications on the SSD will make them load more quickly, and if the processor needs to access program data from the SSD then that will also perform faster too. OTOH if Elements loads into RAM and makes no further calls to the drive then performance will be identical, whether run off SSD or HDD. Premier is a video editing package, so if the video you edit is large enough to require caching to disk then I would expect SSD to offer better performance, though the difference may not be noticeable.

The new laptop isn't going to be much faster than the old one CPU wise:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2865&cmp[]=2016

I would upgrade the existing laptop to SSD. The cost of an SSD is relatively small compared to a new laptop, so it's definitely worth trying.

Not much difference then, My current laptop needs a new keyboard and battery as well, not sure if I want to put money into something old. Current hdd keeps showing signs of failing too.

Replacement batteries and keyboards available from a popular auction site for relatively low ££
Keyboard in most laptops is fairly trivial to replace. Procedure is usually something along the lines of:

Remove bezel from top of keyboard
Push back three tabs
Carefully remove keyboard
Carefully detach keyboard ribbon connector from logic board

Removal is reverse procedure.

Back