Critique required LC2's Shoe Horns for 2023 : Week 52 - Showcase

Cool chuffer! :)

Week 49 - Wet

This is very much a PABD, shot during the stormy weather last night in order that I could complete my 52 as I am running out of time and completely out of inspiration for this theme.
I have purposely left the smear of rain top right of the shot.
Focus is actually on the tree (believe it or not).
The only vaguely redeeming features of the photo are that the verticals are vertical and that I kind of like the light on the tree.
Week 49 - Wet.jpg

Week 52 - Showcase

Choosing 1 from nearly 10k photos posted on flickr this year is quite hard.

I came down to two completely different, yet similar photos from across the year.

Firstly Ayla cosplaying as Ellie from The Last of Us 2.
Shot to produce a grainy B&W image in keeping with the dark and grimy nature of the game.

Ellie - The Last Of Us 2 by Tim White, on Flickr

Secondly is a B&W shot of the S&D 7F, 53808, on her last evening in service before being withdrawn for overhaul on the Mid Hants Railway.
Shot in the dark at high iso and processed in B&W to produce a atmospheric capture of her last movements under her own power.

S&DJR 7F 53808 by Tim White, on Flickr

On balance I am posting the second image as my showcase image this year as while I love both images, there is more going on in this image than just the subject.

Beltin' chuffer shot Tim :)

Like the processing, the engine shot is quite dramatic with the steam and the moon in the background.

Yep, like your choice Tim. Such an atmospheric shot, but still leaving the imagination of when/where/what to the viewer (y)

Beltin' chuffer shot Tim :)

Like the processing, the engine shot is quite dramatic with the steam and the moon in the background.

Yep, like your choice Tim. Such an atmospheric shot, but still leaving the imagination of when/where/what to the viewer (y)
Cheers all. Whilst I do really like the shot of Ellie, it is a bit sterile, whereas the moon, steam, hint of motion etc in the 7F shot I feel adds to the shot rather than detracting. I'm almost tempted to get it printed.

The more you look, the more there is to see in the train picture, good decision

I'm leaning for the train shot too. Very film noir! Love it.

Back