Lens advice needed for Canon EOS 450D!!! First time buyer!

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

Before i say anything, please bear in mind im a newbie :)

I have been doing my research on lenses for the past couple of months, however still cant quite get it. It can be understandable at times but yet still confusing, i mean, how do you choose what lens you require? This is whats buggin me. Does anybody have a criteria they follow before choosing what lens to purchase? Below, i have stated which types of photography interest me. If somebody could name some lenses for each type then i would be so grateful or point me in the right direction on how to choose a lens in which i can use for a number of other different types of photogrpahy im interested in.

Here are the different types of photogrpahy im interested in; Macro/Portrait/Panorarmic/Some Landscapes/Street/Wedding.

Now for shooting weddings, i know you will require a more advanced camera however what lens is still capable of giving that professional look with the Canon EOS 450D? For Landscapes, i understand a wide lens is more appropiate? A real 1:1 is required for a real Macro shot? What about Panoramic and Street?

Alot of thoughts, ideas, confusion and questions running through my head as you can tell lol but i hope atleast some people can clear a few stuff for me.....for now!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!! (y)

Macro work will require more than just a lens but starting with the lens you will either need a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes on a lens. You can also use adaptors that fit onto the front of the lens.

Once you've got the lens you then need to consider what sort of macro shots you are after. To get a good depth of field with macro work you need a very narrow aperture. This means a slow shutter speed or extra lighting. If you are looking at still life macro you need a tripod and remote release. If you are thinking of insects in the field you will need some sort of flash set up. Because of the close working distance on camera flash will cause shadows. You need the flash closer to the subject. There are two sorts of dedicated macro flashes, ring flashes which encircle the end of the lens and multiple flash set ups which light the subject form 1, 2 or even 3 sides. To further complicate matters there are different sorts of ring flash using led's or tubes. The better ring flashes have two tubes one each side that you can individually vary the light output from.

It is also possible to get off camera flash brackets and cords to take a standard hot shoe mounted flash closer to the subject. Finally on lighting you can make up foiled lined extension pieces to extend the on board flash to the front of the lens.

It's very easy to spend a lot of money for macro shots so I'd suggest getting dome cheap macro adaptors initially and see if it's your thing.

Speed is a huge factor in choosing a lens... for soemthing like a wedding where light may be bad a fast lens will be the difference between a good shot and a blurred one as it lets you get much faster shutter speeds. Unfortunately fast lenses are much more expensive.

The standard 18-55 lens I think is F4-F5.6 or similar, its faster brother is the 17-55 F2.8... the 2.8 will let in twice as much light as the f4 hence the 17-55 costing around £600 second hand and the 18-55 costing £60 second hand!

The only real exception to fast lenses been expensive is the 50mm 1.8 known as the nifty fifty... F1.8 is insanely fast for inside photography and they are £75 new. Some say they are cheap build quality as they're plastic but cannot moan for £75. Ive got the F1.4 version and I love it.

As for portrait its not my thing but I use around 70mm on a 70-200 for portraits.

Finally, landscapes. Wide is best. You could shoot a landscape at 70mm but obviously you wouldn't get much. Have a look at the Canon 10-22 if its your thing.

Oh and if you said what sort of money you wanted to spend recommendations would be much easier.

A 70-200 2.8 IS is brilliant for weddings but the new mk 2 version will set you back best part of 2K? The mk 1 second hand still fetches around a grand. Obviously if your budget is £200 then no point recommending that!

It depends what you are shooting..

For landscapes you need a UWA lens, at the other end of the scale if you are doing motorsport or bird photography you'll want a telephoto.

For what you want to do (to start with anyway) why not just use the kit lens that comes with the 450D. That will give you an idea of what you may want to buy in the future.
If you want to do macro stuff on the cheap look at the raynox add ons..

Have seen some cracking results from the Raynox-Great way to start macro,and a LOT better than the cheap crap found on the bay'.
Well worth grabbing a nifty fifty as mentioned-probably the best 70 quid you will spend in quite a while,great introduction to fast lenses and allows you to get used to the (at times) insanely small DOF when shooting wide open.

Now for shooting weddings, i know you will require a more advanced camera however what lens is still capable of giving that professional look with the Canon EOS 450D?

A "professional" look comes from the photographer, not the equipment.

The 450D is definitely capable of doing virtually all the types of pics you mentioned.

You need to experiment and understand your camera totally before you start spraying money everywhere and hoping that a shed load of expensive equipment will somehow transform your pictures.

Back in the days of film I used to cover all my weddings with nothing more than a Ricoh Singlex fitted with the standard lens (55mm I believe and possibly f2.0 or f1.8).

As for Macro a simple set of close-up lenses will give you a good intro to the subject for less than £20.00 (see E-bay - 1,2,4,& 10 dioptres):

2038106199_63baaf7705.jpg

Taken with a 350D and kit lens fitted with a cheap close up lens.

If you then decide to go further a set of Kenko DG AF tubes and a 50mm f1.8 will give you great pics for less than £150.00 - if bought S/H on here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2592851#post2592851

And the "Nifty Fifty" can also be used for weddings, portraits etc.

It's not necessary to spend a mountain of cash to get good results but it's very easy to do so then find that your ambitions outstrip your talent and abilities.

The only real exception to fast lenses been expensive is the 50mm 1.8 known as the nifty fifty... F1.8 is insanely fast for inside photography and they are £75 new. Some say they are cheap build quality as they're plastic but cannot moan for £75. Ive got the F1.4 version and I love it.

Trust me, the 1.8's build quality is awful - Play Doh might be better lol. But as you said for the price you can't really complain... much. It's also a bit sketchy wide open.

As for the whole 'For landscapes you need a UWA lens' thing, this is fine if you have something very powerful in the foreground to frame, otherwise you just get a mass of land and sky and anything significant just becomes dots on the horizon.

Hi I also have the canon 450d, I first tried the 17-85mm which was ok but have just changed to the canon 17-55mm 2.8 which is fantastic but also very expensive. I also have the Sigma 10-20mm and I am saving for the 70-200mm. I think these three lenses will then give me the range cover I need. There are some good reviews on the new 15-85mm from canon. I had a nifty fifty but it broke when I dropped it another great lens though.

Macro work will require more than just a lens but starting with the lens you will either need a dedicated macro lens or extension tubes on a lens. You can also use adaptors that fit onto the front of the lens.

Once you've got the lens you then need to consider what sort of macro shots you are after. To get a good depth of field with macro work you need a very narrow aperture. This means a slow shutter speed or extra lighting. If you are looking at still life macro you need a tripod and remote release. If you are thinking of insects in the field you will need some sort of flash set up. Because of the close working distance on camera flash will cause shadows. You need the flash closer to the subject. There are two sorts of dedicated macro flashes, ring flashes which encircle the end of the lens and multiple flash set ups which light the subject form 1, 2 or even 3 sides. To further complicate matters there are different sorts of ring flash using led's or tubes. The better ring flashes have two tubes one each side that you can individually vary the light output from.

It is also possible to get off camera flash brackets and cords to take a standard hot shoe mounted flash closer to the subject. Finally on lighting you can make up foiled lined extension pieces to extend the on board flash to the front of the lens.

It's very easy to spend a lot of money for macro shots so I'd suggest getting dome cheap macro adaptors initially and see if it's your thing.

Thanks mike for your detailed reply!

Im mostly interested in still images yes, mostly consisting of flowers, water drops and various other still images. However, i am also interested in smoke photography, so will a more faster lens require to shoot that? Also, if i use a slower shutter speed, am i still able to photo water drops?

Regarding your flash information, i am getting confused lol but what do you mean when you say, i can make up foiled extention peices to extend on board flash? does this provide some more light or? and could you breifely explain further what macro adapters are?

Speed is a huge factor in choosing a lens... for soemthing like a wedding where light may be bad a fast lens will be the difference between a good shot and a blurred one as it lets you get much faster shutter speeds. Unfortunately fast lenses are much more expensive.

The standard 18-55 lens I think is F4-F5.6 or similar, its faster brother is the 17-55 F2.8... the 2.8 will let in twice as much light as the f4 hence the 17-55 costing around £600 second hand and the 18-55 costing £60 second hand!

As for portrait its not my thing but I use around 70mm on a 70-200 for portraits.

Finally, landscapes. Wide is best. You could shoot a landscape at 70mm but obviously you wouldn't get much. Have a look at the Canon 10-22 if its your thing.

Thanks for your reply!

So do you think a nifty fifty will be an ok choice to get some good shots at a wedding? and the F1.4 will let in more light than the standard F1.8 right?

Oh and if you said what sort of money you wanted to spend recommendations would be much easier.

A 70-200 2.8 IS is brilliant for weddings but the new mk 2 version will set you back best part of 2K? The mk 1 second hand still fetches around a grand. Obviously if your budget is £200 then no point recommending that!

Lol, not quite there to get the mk 2 version yet! However as i become more experienced and better skilled, i will definately be looking to upgrade!

It depends what you are shooting..

For landscapes you need a UWA lens, at the other end of the scale if you are doing motorsport or bird photography you'll want a telephoto.

For what you want to do (to start with anyway) why not just use the kit lens that comes with the 450D. That will give you an idea of what you may want to buy in the future.

Thanks for your reply..

Could you briefly explain what a raynox add on is? and how i choose between a better and weak one?

A "professional" look comes from the photographer, not the equipment.

The 450D is definitely capable of doing virtually all the types of pics you mentioned.

You need to experiment and understand your camera totally before you start spraying money everywhere and hoping that a shed load of expensive equipment will somehow transform your pictures.

Back in the days of film I used to cover all my weddings with nothing more than a Ricoh Singlex fitted with the standard lens (55mm I believe and possibly f2.0 or f1.8).

As for Macro a simple set of close-up lenses will give you a good intro to the subject for less than £20.00 (see E-bay - 1,2,4,& 10 dioptres):

2038106199_63baaf7705.jpg

Taken with a 350D and kit lens fitted with a cheap close up lens.

If you then decide to go further a set of Kenko DG AF tubes and a 50mm f1.8 will give you great pics for less than £150.00 - if bought S/H on here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2592851#post2592851

And the "Nifty Fifty" can also be used for weddings, portraits etc.

It's not necessary to spend a mountain of cash to get good results but it's very easy to do so then find that your ambitions outstrip your talent and abilities.

Very good advice there!!! Thanks alot :)

Hi I also have the canon 450d, I first tried the 17-85mm which was ok but have just changed to the canon 17-55mm 2.8 which is fantastic but also very expensive. I also have the Sigma 10-20mm and I am saving for the 70-200mm. I think these three lenses will then give me the range cover I need. There are some good reviews on the new 15-85mm from canon. I had a nifty fifty but it broke when I dropped it another great lens though.

Thanks mate, will look into those lenses (y)

Thanks for your reply..

Could you briefly explain what a raynox add on is? and how i choose between a better and weak one?

Raynox is the company that make the lens.
I'm not totally up with the ins and outs, but it allows you to do macro style work with a regular lens - I think quite alot of people use a 50mm prime lens.

Flickr search will pull up a group for them and lots of pics - one totally at random http://www.flickr.com/photos/pankajz/4033174227/

Do a search here on them, Im sure they have been mentioned a fair bit.

This is the lens itself : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raynox-RADC...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272824874&sr=8-1

There is a 150 version, but I think its just a smaller version.

Back