Lens scratch - can anything be done?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I've got a Panasonic Lumix compact that I've had for 3.5 years. Despite really looking after it, I managed to get a small, but significant, scratch on the lens. I have no idea how this happened.

In certain light, I'm sure the scratch causes affects the quality of the photos.

I'd like to keep using this camera. I'm presuming that any kind of replacement lens (if that's feasible - apologies, I know little about photography) or repair work would be expensive and that I might as well purchase a new camera. Am I right to think this?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Si

Hi all

I've got a Panasonic Lumix compact that I've had for 3.5 years. Despite really looking after it, I managed to get a small, but significant, scratch on the lens. I have no idea how this happened.

In certain light, I'm sure the scratch causes affects the quality of the photos.

I'd like to keep using this camera. I'm presuming that any kind of replacement lens (if that's feasible - apologies, I know little about photography) or repair work would be expensive and that I might as well purchase a new camera. Am I right to think this?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Si

Repairing a camera is normally a fixed fee of around £120 starting price and with a camera that's 3.5 years old and I assume it's a cheapy compact then it's not worth it. It's had it's run now and I only expect them to last three years so it's lasted well, treat yourself to a new camera ;)

Repairing a camera is normally a fixed fee of around £120 starting price and with a camera that's 3.5 years old and I assume it's a cheapy compact then it's not worth it. It's had it's run now and I only expect them to last three years so it's lasted well, treat yourself to a new camera ;)

Would you say the same if it's an LX3?

If it has a non recessed lens try making a hood for it with some black tape, should cut down the flare produced by the scratch.

Or trawl through ebay for one thats been dropped and has goosed internals but the lens is okay. I've repaired several of the Lumix DMC family after drops and shifted focus motors and they are very very simple to swap lenses on.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'll try some of the tips you suggested.

cw - you don't do those kind of repairs as a job do you by any chance?!

To the person who said to replace the camera-I'd be happy to do that, but in buying my first dSLR next week and still want a compact. Won't be able to buy one for a good while because my camera budget will be zero!

Thanks again!

Si

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'll try some of the tips you suggested.

To the person who said to replace the camera-I'd be happy to do that, but in buying my first dSLR next week and still want a compact. Won't be able to buy one for a good while because my camera budget will be zero!

Thanks again!

Si

If it's just as a back-up camera then try what Mark suggested and run a black felt tip pen over the scratch and wipe off the residue (with a cloth, not paper towel). That will fill the scratch and in theory should fix or at least minimise the problem (y)

Nope, I only used to do ours because they were already dead and were going in the bin so it didn't really matter if I made a mistake. Which model is it you have?

Thanks CW - bit cheeky of me to ask, on reflection!

I will try the black felt tip trick-thanks to those for the suggestion!

Si

if you can getsome jewlers rouge it just like Tcut what they buff scratches out of cars
I had scratch on my lens I used Tcut took a while. keep putting some on a cloth and polishing it iy still there but it almost gone now
hard work many hours of buffing :)

if you can getsome jewlers rouge it just like Tcut what they buff scratches out of cars
I had scratch on my lens I used Tcut took a while. keep putting some on a cloth and polishing it iy still there but it almost gone now
hard work many hours of buffing :)

That'll be the coating rubbed off your lens' front element then (y)

I'd got with the buy a dead one and get it going..... did this for a casio ( took a couple of gos but at £10 a shot no biggy ) now my lad has a semi decent camera to use when we are out.

Best way to find out if you can do it is search for tear down vids on places like youtube etc.... thats basically how I have learnt to do quite a few.

T

Back