Lens 'separation'

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently bought on Ebay from America a very nice Canon 50mm 1.2 Ltm with the fairly rare hood included. On closer inspection, after delivery I noticed a small patch of separation. How easy, how much and where could I look to get this repaired? I will send it back if need be but otherwise it is a good example so want to investigate options before I go nuclear.

Edit, spelling!

Last edited:
H'mm if the elements are seperating on the edge near the front of the lens, then you could problably get years of use if you don't use the lens wide open,,, but then why get a f1.2 lens is you can't use it wide open. So best to check it out on a camera first then decide as the seperation might not effect the optics much, and complete seperation could take years.

Exactly stopping done kinda defeats the whole object of a 1.2 and tbh I will not be attempting a repair myself as i simply don't trust myself and indeed why should I if the option of returning it is there. There must be someone who would look at it though?

Reply to the seller the problem and he might knock 50% off...and as said put in on a camera and see the results........re-glueing the lens? IIRC they used to use Canada balsam but have no idea who would do this.

Exactly stopping done kinda defeats the whole object of a 1.2 and tbh I will not be attempting a repair myself as i simply don't trust myself and indeed why should I if the option of returning it is there. There must be someone who would look at it though?

If you get someone to look at it, I would have thought you won't be able to return it as they'll say this is what caused the problem and you didn't let them know etc - I would let the seller know there is a problem and go from there...

I have done that and sent pictures, I am just awaiting a response to those. I would rather have options as I know it will be a long hard slog to get money and taxes returned.

I have done that and sent pictures, I am just awaiting a response to those. I would rather have options as I know it will be a long hard slog to get money and taxes returned.

Fingers crossed it's a positive response and you get it sorted out, hopefully fairly quickly (y)

You could try emailing Miles Whitehead (mwcamerarepairs@gmail.com). He's done a couple of lens rebuilds for me; whether he does separations I don't know, but he usually answers quickly, and if in the end it can't be done, doesn't charge (other than return postage).

You could try emailing Miles Whitehead (mwcamerarepairs@gmail.com). He's done a couple of lens rebuilds for me; whether he does separations I don't know, but he usually answers quickly, and if in the end it can't be done, doesn't charge (other than return postage).

:agree:

Email sent and replied to (very fast, which was welcome) not the greatest of news though. I will update this thread with general information when I get it.

Ethically, and in terms of the eBay transaction, the isssue is whether the lens complies with the seller's description. I would also factor in what you paid, and the market value with and without the fault, to decide how hard to pursue it.

In practical terms (ie the use of the lens), I'd guess that the fault as described is most unlikely to affect image quality in a general way, but may catch the light when contre-jour and promote flare.

And the fault might get worse ...

"This lens is excellent condition as the list. The glass is clean and clear with no Haze, scratch, fungus even a cleaning mark. The original hood and cap is very good condition". The word mint was also used and outwardly it is excellent and I actually don't think the seller was aware, though he is responsible for the accuracy of his description. I have sent some pictures of the fault to Miles and see what he comes back with.

To cut an already long story short the lens is being sent back, I spent over the odds for what I thought was a mint version with hood. Shame
For information Miles wrote that the preferred method of repair so as not to damage the lenses is to soak the element in chemicals to desolve the glue, this can take anything up to six months! As to the cost, difficult to say but he thought £100/150 maybe more.

Back