Lens shopping for a film camera.... epic fail today!

Name
Ivor
Edit My Images
No
I set out today to buy a CF lens for a Hassy 500 cm. I love that camera & the Rollei in equal measure, and basically have quickly come to love medium format film shooting. I've got a 35mm film camera which is great fun too, but the medium format definitely takes preference.

So, this morning I set about visiting a few local camera shops to purchase an 80mm lens for the Hassy, which currently wears only the 150 which came with it. I'd spoken to one shop who had a used CF but sadly was sold in the days between me speaking with them, and today. No matter, I knew of another one not too far away. I got to that guy and was disappointed to find the one he's got looks a little too well used for the £400 price tag, and no price adjustment could be worked out between what he though & what I thought.

So after moving on, I ended up buying an unused, still boxed Fujifilm X100S 'Black'. I paid £459 for it, which looking on eBay at other examples makes it a good deal, especially for a still boxed, unused one.

I'm sure it's a good camera & they seem very popular, so I'll make sure to have some fun with it. And it's the first digital camera I've ever bought. But lets just say the CF won't be happening for quite a while now I've blasted the CF budget.
I guess that's the danger of being in the shop & holding it in your hand??? Things you weren't necessarily looking for can 'sell themselves' to you!

Lesson learned. (although I'm sure the Fuji will be fun too).

well........I'm appalled

are you like.....a double agent, sent from digiland to spread disquiet and unrest in F&C

or is it a gender thing

:D

I think I got all cuffudled by the marvelous breasticles the young saleslady was sporting. I was weak, lusting, hung over & had cash in my pocket...a lamb to the slaughter!

Shall I be hanged before my peers??

Nope, they have a heart, its Christmas

though despite the name Ivor, your gender will be questioned for all eternity, such is the womany nature of your crime :)

I must admit, t'is worryingly similar to that age old justification/defense the female of the species employ on their return home from town..... "But honey bunny, it was a bargain, I saved us so much money buying it!"

For what it's worth, that was a great price for a black X100s, and they are superb cameras.

And the Fuji system is probably one of the most popular digital systems for film shooters, and I'm one of them - very intuitive cameras.

I must admit, t'is worryingly similar to that age old justification/defense the female of the species employ on their return home from town..... "But honey bunny, it was a bargain, I saved us so much money buying it!"

Therefore you can afford something else with the money saved!...

Steve.

Michael Kenna shoots a Bladd

not with a 150 though

*piles it on*

This made me laugh so unexpectedly hard I spat cake all over the laptop!

Last edited:
That's a great price for the Fuji.

The X100s is, by some margin, my favourite digital camera.

Yep - I had the original X100. For me too, one of my favourite cameras.

I keep looking at the X100S/X100T, thinking whether I should get one of those..... Mmmmm.

Back