Let's see your trains: inside and out, an open thread

Here are four videos of Flying Scotsman taken yesterday. The time schedule has not usually been made public because of the crowds that turn out and more worryingly the idiots that stand too close to the tracks ,trespassing, and risk injury or even death as a train from the opposite direction comes along but two days prior to the tour they were published and the results can be seen here. Very disappointing for those who got to Bristol Temple Meads to see it start its journey around 8.00am. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfAEmn-j_M0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CDkkVm89hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u55yQBMvcc

Teignmouth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZdZ8rZVdkw

Carrying on with the MU images, here's a long time resident of the Highlands heading north up to Thurso/Wick or over west to Kyle:

y4mD8nnapOQRr3zjNrKlAFmPzUGFDknv4IPS6tQA2bs-Gp1uudAF5Nr5nH79tHN_4f8I5PxHylUFdSLUeNCRZm8PssXY2R8k40SLek-zUQa8d6wr-2Dy3ZAIndzIDkTo-FY3Po1XXBig3huk5-1n4gV1ewZhTh-FMxv5EqBcdpgLub5iv999PumzZKMsnm8oKIi

Onto the main event which was 68003 'Astute' leading 68009 'Titan' up to Georgemas junction to return with nuclear material which they've recently taken over from the 66s although unusually this time not using the usual flasks. I wish we'd get 68's more often up here as they have a fantastic engine noise and much better than other modern locomotives:

y4mGAzlqD1H10qRlwQYQHWzSaEsSX9u-gG7XHpPR-3DR2ACYUJjd_NTEigWu71qT4YCsS4RGQ9bofl1Gb4gLuwVJDhBMavJAAnnl5nsp5iHB-y3VbrIj8fnjAZDL7gpOkzJf5C69OTQAmMRbnaAnlq01dhCoGop-G5baKvwdxirM-VRD_Z5OsahqHT2sr5N20L7

y4ml4FMYSgB7FH6GjmlP3afZCf2AtbEg6sRF-BveOyH5GIBVBUV8imOqZRiQ4C7O4Vr7sDylIYlGbJKTJr-0LtuxUuf_Rg-ywm8Qe7ncT2NcrFx2TRT0s3uK5A3ML9aKDBTDrRO05sfIoo9d-iu2PIkr9ZNAEHLE7oHrOFOKjACLtIVMJMRH9lIPJCXbGH7lQ2O

Lots of amazing photos here and I particularly love the variety. I was wanting to see the APT-P at the Crewe heritage centre but I think when I was looking to go it was unfortunately closed at the time but will hopefully see it at some point.

I was waiting for an exceptionally unusual visit and captured the 66 powering up the hill out of Inverness on the daily Tesco train, quite like being able to see the heat haze off it and a different angle from where I normally take them:

y4mZi1M8aq3TA1J8U8Sv5HLjGuBAn6CW-exwK3xYC6gQb0h4pswRsHLXnNBy_tC1Fj_1tnmoJAivwFw3kZ6DBGJxx9wSSzorz_emvpVbpABiC3dJeOGP1KXQsR4VZYkD16O5BsocOTGKZhyhTqp9mBT4jTfgxC2cduCQbtzZoMc40apck7DCjhlJmDr1pl2maFH

We had a pair of Colas 37s with 37116 and 37421 up with the Ultrasonic Measuring Train but when they'd tried to start them up at the top of the Far North Line, 116 suffered a failure and the next day 421 run around the train and hailed the train back to Inverness then ditched 116 and headed on south with the UMT. Another loco was sent up to take 116 back home and I was thinking maybe a 37 or 70 but hopefully another 56 however I never guessed it would be this:

y4m-A2VsEIMsGNrkiac7V8NMCiIBTdHEjrTEb1ysEKtpB7uK1KWUqMD2OPSAtku7RH0nqaVQUa7mdxYeSMbV5c2PeNAGiHH3srYEAtZybatC1Z4W-SZ4xOdWUWeZihWDgCZ5kqssTDodxuAaTXr6W0xKivvtXo57KsqoFYZwA6O9DRzC5TQdqQDeE72bbFy0MoZ

This class has barely ever come this far north so it was very welcome, I completely fluffed the shot of them leaving as I'd planned to head home and swap to a shorter lens but realised when the 50 had immediately coupled to the 37 that it wasn't waiting before it left:

y4m3Qkpa4zqEaizZVnH6w0opVumaeKPRDlJeUKqDjLDL6AvYPCb7u8j4eFlwDmFEiOQdhe7cQNCz-24r5LCmn_Eew1POc8hlmecXK5XTL5n9E5cPDpFXDCsLRhqZCmrC5bl73NyOpCTeGZzLEGpp6p6U25vdjlNmQhu85mL3RnDYCiLXB9uB3FovVGztUq1hhfc

Today it was another unusual visitor with 37425 which is one of the DRS 37's in Regional Railways livery, it had been up a few years ago in its DRS livery but never since in this livery which none others currently have. With DRS winding down their 37s I've been keen to see it so another nice surprise it came up on a route learner, mucked up these shots a bit as I couldn't get to the spot I wanted (there was a warning from the forestry commission to be aware of shooting?!) and had planned to mainly use the drone which had misbehaved but will have another go when it heads north on Monday:

y4mi8oKf1hR7jnngdy11wr3kiUh7qHzktQ6K5jbC19UhpKevrsc3BDkd3PVInFNczvYdYLeGTiuWljG0HI35lEoIHReHWj8-sCOtE2Fb7glaR2IJsrQ2IH3JIc8gshS1kd_9eHwWMpq8qjyBVLa0s-MP3PwVNoa1rcJYybBoPY2dlixFx4l95GBIaGwdmQhInXR

y4mEnbrZZM9L4YmlFpTSxYAQlI7A3SbtaVO5k8saScWLIxmTl8KRtBmkYp47wW7BJcwphkD_U_B6tKCYOL9qo08nvk7ekQFexaqHVhcWWl1kNWZvgVstCouiNFmTwNlctfh5rvofYdxPXUW09iSOdSNLcR1Sqa3iuchx4TB1JmW5iHfHOP__EjPQ-IFDofjKX2z

Last edited:
Lots of amazing photos here and I particularly love the variety. I was wanting to see the APT-P at the Crewe heritage centre but I think when I was looking to go it was unfortunately closed at the time but will hopefully see it at some point.

I was waiting for an exceptionally unusual visit and captured the 66 powering up the hill out of Inverness on the daily Tesco train, quite like being able to see the heat haze off it and a different angle from where I normally take them:

y4mZi1M8aq3TA1J8U8Sv5HLjGuBAn6CW-exwK3xYC6gQb0h4pswRsHLXnNBy_tC1Fj_1tnmoJAivwFw3kZ6DBGJxx9wSSzorz_emvpVbpABiC3dJeOGP1KXQsR4VZYkD16O5BsocOTGKZhyhTqp9mBT4jTfgxC2cduCQbtzZoMc40apck7DCjhlJmDr1pl2maFH

We had a pair of Colas 37s with 37116 and 37421 up with the Ultrasonic Measuring Train but when they'd tried to start them up at the top of the Far North Line, 116 suffered a failure and the next day 421 run around the train and hailed the train back to Inverness then ditched 116 and headed on south with the UMT. Another loco was sent up to take 116 back home and I was thinking maybe a 37 or 70 but hopefully another 56 however I never guessed it would be this:

y4m-A2VsEIMsGNrkiac7V8NMCiIBTdHEjrTEb1ysEKtpB7uK1KWUqMD2OPSAtku7RH0nqaVQUa7mdxYeSMbV5c2PeNAGiHH3srYEAtZybatC1Z4W-SZ4xOdWUWeZihWDgCZ5kqssTDodxuAaTXr6W0xKivvtXo57KsqoFYZwA6O9DRzC5TQdqQDeE72bbFy0MoZ

This class has barely ever come this far north so it was very welcome, I completely fluffed the shot of them leaving as I'd planned to head home and swap to a shorter lens but realised when the 50 had immediately coupled to the 37 that it wasn't waiting before it left:

y4m3Qkpa4zqEaizZVnH6w0opVumaeKPRDlJeUKqDjLDL6AvYPCb7u8j4eFlwDmFEiOQdhe7cQNCz-24r5LCmn_Eew1POc8hlmecXK5XTL5n9E5cPDpFXDCsLRhqZCmrC5bl73NyOpCTeGZzLEGpp6p6U25vdjlNmQhu85mL3RnDYCiLXB9uB3FovVGztUq1hhfc

Today it was another unusual visitor with 37425 which is one of the DRS 37's in Regional Railways livery, it had been up a few years ago in its DRS livery but never since in this livery which none others currently have. With DRS winding down their 37s I've been keen to see it so another nice surprise it came up on a route learner, mucked up these shots a bit as I couldn't get to the spot I wanted (there was a warning from the forestry commission to be aware of shooting?!) and had planned to mainly use the drone which had misbehaved but will have another go when it heads north on Monday:

y4mi8oKf1hR7jnngdy11wr3kiUh7qHzktQ6K5jbC19UhpKevrsc3BDkd3PVInFNczvYdYLeGTiuWljG0HI35lEoIHReHWj8-sCOtE2Fb7glaR2IJsrQ2IH3JIc8gshS1kd_9eHwWMpq8qjyBVLa0s-MP3PwVNoa1rcJYybBoPY2dlixFx4l95GBIaGwdmQhInXR

y4mEnbrZZM9L4YmlFpTSxYAQlI7A3SbtaVO5k8saScWLIxmTl8KRtBmkYp47wW7BJcwphkD_U_B6tKCYOL9qo08nvk7ekQFexaqHVhcWWl1kNWZvgVstCouiNFmTwNlctfh5rvofYdxPXUW09iSOdSNLcR1Sqa3iuchx4TB1JmW5iHfHOP__EjPQ-IFDofjKX2z
Very well done. Some great shots there and an excellent story to accompany them. Thanks for sharing.

A bit of a last minute request...

I'm up in Yorkshire and fancy photographing 4472 (or whatever the BR equivelent was...) at the keighley and worth valley railway this weekend.

Can anyone recoment a good "spot" that we can park up and see the loco on its travels this weekend?

Cheers

A bit of a last minute request...

I'm up in Yorkshire and fancy photographing 4472 (or whatever the BR equivelent was...) at the keighley and worth valley railway this weekend.

Can anyone recoment a good "spot" that we can park up and see the loco on its travels this weekend?

Cheers
There are loads of places, really depends what you want photographically and if you are prepared to walk through some fields?

They are expecting it to be very busy and are asking people to avoid the stations unless you have tickets to travel, apart from Oakworth, where flying scotsman won't be stopping, so end of platform at Oakworth might be a good spot, or near the level crossing as it passes. There is a small car park there and parking on the road near the station.

There is also a public footpath from haworth to Oxenhope that provides opportunities both sides of the line to photograph the trains. As well as the foot bridge at haworth Station (very busy) there is a cobbled road down the side of Keighley Station with parking and a footpath on the corner leading up the hill so you can see the trains working hard as they leave Keighley.

I expect there will be hundreds of photographers out and about so you should be able to follow the crowd. I expect i will be down there at some point this weekend.

There are loads of places, really depends what you want photographically and if you are prepared to walk through some fields?

They are expecting it to be very busy and are asking people to avoid the stations unless you have tickets to travel, apart from Oakworth, where flying scotsman won't be stopping, so end of platform at Oakworth might be a good spot, or near the level crossing as it passes. There is a small car park there and parking on the road near the station.

There is also a public footpath from haworth to Oxenhope that provides opportunities both sides of the line to photograph the trains. As well as the foot bridge at haworth Station (very busy) there is a cobbled road down the side of Keighley Station with parking and a footpath on the corner leading up the hill so you can see the trains working hard as they leave Keighley.

I expect there will be hundreds of photographers out and about so you should be able to follow the crowd. I expect i will be down there at some point this weekend.

Thanks

I've been having a look and was thinking at the Mytholmes viaduct or by Damans (SP)? might be a good spot if we can find some parking and if you can access across the fields.

Well, we managed it, but I couldn't find a way to get to the other side of the viaduct which would have been much better for the sun. Some kind residant let us through their back gate to get to this spot, but it would have meant climbing a small fence/gate under the viaduct to get to the other side and I am not sure if that would have been trespassing?

5G4A9817.jpg5G4A9817-2.jpg5G4A9804.jpg

Docklands Light Railway - Westferry

DLR - Westferry by Adam P, on Flickr
It’s a view I know very well. I’ve lived at various locations al No the DLR route. Quite shocking to see how many skyscrapers are by the Millennium Dome now. Used to be such a wasteland.

Well, we managed it, but I couldn't find a way to get to the other side of the viaduct which would have been much better for the sun. Some kind residant let us through their back gate to get to this spot, but it would have meant climbing a small fence/gate under the viaduct to get to the other side and I am not sure if that would have been trespassing?

View attachment 390663View attachment 390664View attachment 390665
They are fantastic.
Very well caught.

Reactions: A_S
It’s a view I know very well. I’ve lived at various locations al No the DLR route. Quite shocking to see how many skyscrapers are by the Millennium Dome now. Used to be such a wasteland.

Yeah, I know what you mean, they've all gone up in a relatively short space of time too.

Between 2009 and 2012 I had reason to visit the Blackwall area of the docklands on an almost weekly basis so know the area well, I've only recently visited a couple of times after an almost 10 year break and parts of the docklands have changed beyond recognition in places.

Last edited:
COUNT THE CAMERAS!!

COUNT THE CAMERAS!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Mostly mobile phones! Passengers about to board their return train at Bath Spa on a Steam Dreams day trip from London.

Bulleid pacific West Country Class 34046 'Braunton' is in charge.

Yeah, I know what you mean, they've all gone up in a relatively short space of time too.

Between 2009 and 2012 I had reason to visit the Blackwall area of the docklands on an almost weekly basis so know the area well, I've only recently visited a couple of times after an almost 10 year break and parts of the docklands have changed beyond recognition in places.
I used to live very close to Westferry DLR station. The Docklands area is now utterly blighted by rampant overdevelopment. Depressing. And given that most of those corporate jobs will be replaced by AI in just a few years, it'll yet again become another wasteland. :(

A few more from me. This time our trip to Whitby last weekend on the NYMR. I am not one for Diesels (or electric) but with a line side fire all Steam had been taken off the route.

These were as we changed Locos at Grosmont. Not sure why we had to do it, but at least it gave me an opportunity to use my Laowa 12mm (full frame 12mm!) which i love.

5G4A9862.jpg4

5G4A9864.jpg

5G4A9860.jpg

5G4A9857.jpg

Might see if there is any mainline steam around me this weekend. Is there a good site to check? There used to be one up until a few years ago but I think the chap who ran it either stopped updating it or passed away.

A few more from me. This time our trip to Whitby last weekend on the NYMR. I am not one for Diesels (or electric) but with a line side fire all Steam had been taken off the route.

These were as we changed Locos at Grosmont. Not sure why we had to do it, but at least it gave me an opportunity to use my Laowa 12mm (full frame 12mm!) which i love.

View attachment 3913124

View attachment 391313

View attachment 391311

View attachment 391310

Might see if there is any mainline steam around me this weekend. Is there a good site to check? There used to be one up until a few years ago but I think the chap who ran it either stopped updating it or passed away.
Very nice, I really like the post processing on those, it works really well.
Plus I have to agree the 12mm lens has worked perfectly. Well caught.

Reactions: A_S
An old shot of a diesel approaching the level crossing at Crediton...

Diesel Engine at Crediton.jpg

The "Poplar Bend" on London's DLR...

East London from the 30th floor FX55 1020028.JPG

Back