Critique Leveret landscape?

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Could I ask, does this work? Is it just a reminder type image for me or is there something there that makes an image for viewers?

Happy as always to hear honest thoughts (y)

Thank you :)

Leveret landscape
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not one to judge really, but for me the background is too busy

1660405286396.png

Would be more to my personal liking, but I'm sure I am wrong :)

I like the light very much and the natural habitat adds to the shot. However maybe a little too much oof grass, background which IMO draws the eye too much and gives the impression that the whole shot is soft, although obv not.
I do see what you mean, thank you for the feedback (y)

I'm guessing you posted this because of a bit of frustration - there's almost something there but not quite.

I think @Sangoma has sort of nailed it in terms of extracting the subject.

But I'm guessing the frustrating part is that it has a potential sense of depth to it. But lacks a lead in. So here's my take .... I took the liberty of cropping from the right and using an angled linera gradient to darken the lower right to try and create lead in from the ower left - and then a radial on the subject with a slight increase in colour temperature and some clarity,

Attachments

• 52283167739_997a69d079_c.jpg
    52283167739_997a69d079_c.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's a bit different to your usual stuff Gav but it is IMO a lovely shot, almost dream like. It is something different and don't think every shot should be like this but a change is as good as a rest and the odd shot like amongst the others does imho add something to your body of work and I do like it. Well done for the shot and for trying something different. And yes, it works for me, very much so :D

On the subject of cropping.

I like the original because the plane of focus runs through the image with the leveret in the middle and does with the shape of the landscape lead my eye to the leveret. The crop in comparison is to me unbalanced with not enough lead in from the RHS.

All in my vho. It's a taste and opinion thing but I'd pick the original over the crop for the two ways in which it leads my eye, plane of focus and undulating landscape. These are IMO missing from the crop.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you posted this because of a bit of frustration - there's almost something there but not quite.

I think @Sangoma has sort of nailed it in terms of extracting the subject.

But I'm guessing the frustrating part is that it has a potential sense of depth to it. But lacks a lead in. So here's my take .... I took the liberty of cropping from the right and using an angled linera gradient to darken the lower right to try and create lead in from the ower left - and then a radial on the subject with a slight increase in colour temperature and some clarity,
A little frustration I guess, thank you for the feedback and taking the time for an edit too, I appreciate it (y)

It's a bit different to your usual stuff Gav but it is IMO a lovely shot, almost dream like. It is something different and don't think every shot should be like this but a change is as good as a rest and the odd shot like amongst the others does imho add something to your body of work and I do like it. Well done for the shot and for trying something different. And yes, it works for me, very much so :D

On the subject of cropping.

I like the original because the plane of focus runs through the image with the leveret in the middle and does with the shape of the landscape lead my eye to the leveret. The crop in comparison is to me unbalanced with not enough lead in from the RHS.

All in my vho. It's a taste and opinion thing but I'd pick the original over the crop for the two ways in which it leads my eye, plane of focus and undulating landscape. These are IMO missing from the crop.
I keep trying to include more scene but never seem to pull it off. Thank you for your feedback Alan, it's appreciated as always (y)

A little frustration I guess, thank you for the feedback and taking the time for an edit too, I appreciate it (y)

Thanks for posting the image - maybe a I made an assumption about what you were trying to do. But the shot got my attention andmade me have a think. That's what makes these forums worth visiting.

Thanks for posting the image - maybe a I made an assumption about what you were trying to do. But the shot got my attention andmade me have a think. That's what makes these forums worth visiting.
No worries, I'm open to all views and like seeing what others would have done with the image.
I then have something to think about next time I'm out with the camera.
My biggest problem is I struggle to put words down to explain things.
Thank you again for taking the time to look and leave feedback (y)

I like it as it is too. :)

To me, it portrays the wide open space that such an animal exists in beautifully. With most of the surroundings being out of focus by using such a shallow DOF, my eye is drawn straight into the Hare's eyes and those amazing ears. It definitely looks better full screen on Flickr and I think it would make a great wall poster. (y)

I like it as it is too. :)

To me, it portrays the wide open space that such an animal exists in beautifully. With most of the surroundings being out of focus by using such a shallow DOF, my eye is drawn straight into the Hare's eyes and those amazing ears. It definitely looks better full screen on Flickr and I think it would make a great wall poster. (y)
Thank you, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it (y)

Reactions: Sky
Mate we can never see what you saw why you framed liike ya did and when we share here we see a diddley squat tiny image, which for an "animal scape" doesn't always paint the true pic of what is there.simply it's too small to be viewed properly...............leastways bro that's me take.

Gav back to the first few words if there wasn't something LHS to bug you/ruin frame i'd personally want kidlet kicked a gnats more RHS and maybe pull subject up as well.........maybe too formulaic . rule of 3rds an all but that is where I'd lean see I find the mush intoxicating

Bud even with so much OOF mush I still see this huge lead in line to your leveret it's the path I know it will travel...............for me the frame really works there's just a gnats more to be had.....MAYBE....on framing? It is a Q Gav........... we don't all look through the same eyes ;)

Mate we can never see what you saw why you framed liike ya did and when we share here we see a diddley squat tiny image, which for an "animal scape" doesn't always paint the true pic of what is there.simply it's too small to be viewed properly...............leastways bro that's me take.

Gav back to the first few words if there wasn't something LHS to bug you/ruin frame i'd personally want kidlet kicked a gnats more RHS and maybe pull subject up as well.........maybe too formulaic . rule of 3rds an all but that is where I'd lean see I find the mush intoxicating

Bud even with so much OOF mush I still see this huge lead in line to your leveret it's the path I know it will travel...............for me the frame really works there's just a gnats more to be had.....MAYBE....on framing? It is a Q Gav........... we don't all look through the same eyes ;)
Hi Bud, thank you (y) I'll take it on board, thank you for taking the time to leave feedback!

Last edited:
Back