lightbulb

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I saw Pauls thread on here a few weeks ago (Lightbulb without wires.), then a few others and decided I had to see if I could crack this.

I picked up a vintage style lightbulb from Amazon, which looks nice but is a nightmare for reflections!

Some dodgy wiring and 2 sessions later this is my effort. Took me a little longer than the 14 minutes on Gavin Hoey's tutorial!

Constructive C&C welcome.

Thanks

Alan

lightbulb
by alan72 on Talk Photography

Sorry, no constructive C&C, but just to say I dig a lot.

It's a lovely shot, interesting bulb, good choice there for the project. Nice composure with the angle and reflection. :)

Perhaps could do with a bit more exposure, all seems a little dark, even the lit filament seems dulled. It would be nice to have a bit more definition to the glass too. Perhaps a bit too much black in the bottom half of the shot, maybe a slightly tighter crop?

What type of bulb is it out of interest? :)

Thanks Ivan,

I agree, when I went back and looked it a day later I decided it was a bit dark. I think I was just so chuffed to get the image initially!

I've reworked and increased the brightness about three quarters of a stop, which I think looks better.

I quite like the square crop but will revisit and see if something tighter works.

I'm thinking of putting this into our monthly club competition next month so would like to get this spot on.

I picked the bulb up from Amazon, I searched for vintage bulb if I remember right. I'll check the package tonight and post the name.

lightbulb-5

Last edited:
Much prefer the revised version! Detail comes out much more with the extra exposure.

With regard to the crop, it looks like you've centred the image around the (fake?) reflection line. As the reflection fades out it makes it look top heavy. Composition wise it works as a square crop, I don't disagree, it was just the position within the square I was questioning. Maybe if the reflection line was on the bottom third line rather than the midpoint it would balance more.

Quick google search for an example:
razerwigl.png

Thanks Ivan,

I agree, when I went back and looked it a day later I decided it was a bit dark. I think I was just so chuffed to get the image initially!

I've reworked and increased the brightness about three quarters of a stop, which I think looks better.

I quite like the square crop but will revisit and see if something tighter works.

I'm thinking of putting this into our monthly club competition next month so would like to get this spot on.

I picked the bulb up from Amazon, I searched for vintage bulb if I remember right. I'll check the package tonight and post the name.

lightbulb-5

like the snickers ad
much better
cheers
geof
edison would love this

Back