lighting c&c 99% no where i went wrong

Edit My Images
Yes
hey guy's

thought i would have a mess about with my flash guns. both nissins,

subject was a sarky mrs who didnt want photographing, basically used this as my setup:

photo-60.jpg

all cheap ebau stuff, 50cm soft box, with the nissin di644 in and the umbrella to bounce a bit of light across, i had the nissin di466 on a small tripod behind, thinking it needed lifting up more tbh, rear flash was full power, the softbox was half power, back ground is my projector screen haha

here is before with the back ground staying pretty much grey, i do think having the flash higher it would of blown the background more,

untitled-8519.jpg

i used my 50mm 1.8 and had a bit of flare,

this is after i have very badly done the full back ground in white and touched up a little, but thats me just messing with ps haha

untitled-8519copy.jpg

any tips on what would make it better.

You've used a shoot though umbrella in front of the camera, so of course you've got flare - it's almost inevitable.

That lighting arrangement isn't exactly flattering, putting the key light directly above the camera and much higher would have been much better, but if for some reason you wanted to use the arrangement you had, it would have been much better to reverse the softbox with the umbrella - you would then have avoided the flare

Ah kinda like rembrant lighting ?
Should of said there was no actual strobe in the brolly, I was using it as a make shift reflector. The aim was for a full lit face and bright White back ground. Maybe getibg rid of the brolly and using something White may be better. I'm hving another go tomorrow. I'm trying to vary background from high key White through grey to black if I can, I may try one light source up and above with flash to the rear.

I was hoping you'd reply to the thread as I have seen a few od your posts being very informative. With this set up what's the vest use of the strobes?

Thanks

Rembrandt is something very different - basically a single hard light 45 degrees up and 45 degrees to the left - which is a form of lighting that worked well for that nice Mr. Rembrandt but personally I feel it's a bit over-rated for portraiture. Problem is, we don't have paintbrushes and we have to find different ways of controlling the depth of shadow..

What I was suggesting was a single light high, and directly above the camera (mainly because your wife was looking directly at the camera, if she had been looking somewhere else I think the she should be looking directly at the light) The advantage would be that a light in that position would help to define and add interest to the shape of her face, and it would also have a slimming effect - but you'd better not tell her that:)
I'm not suggesting that she needs a light that slims her, but any light that only lights a part of the face has that effect, and most people benefit from it, most of the time.

Of course, there's a lot more to it than that, and the pose is very important too - but that's a starting point.

Oh, and forget about the background until you've got a better idea of how to light the main subject. Just do one thing at a time

here one from the second try tonight i do have more but no time to get them up,

em.jpg

what the point of reading Gary's worthwhile comments if the ruddy posts have been removed.......:bang:

Back