Little stream

Which one you like best?

Votes: 29 54.7%

Votes: 7 13.2%

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters
No. 1 for me also, then 3 and finally 2.

Another vote for number 1, prefer the extended background that it has. All 3 are really good though :)

Just to clarify, which tree in particular would you straighten :D

Some are sloping left and others right :thinking:

Got to agree. It's the middle two as they are the most prominent. They keep drawing my eyes to them making the picture look like it's leaning to the left so I voted for number 2.

I see what you mean about trees in the middle. They a bit off. I'm sure I was using in camera horizon level. Also it's @11mm. Looks like #1 leading so far.

Thanks all for you opinions and votes (y)

it got to be num1 as water quality is the better of them all
I personally would still rotate it slightly to the right

My order is 3-1-2.

There are things about all three that I don't like, but no 3 is the only one that could be changed (by a crop) to produce an image I did actually like. Since the question was one of "liking" rather than critique, that's as far as I go.

No.3 gets my vote.

Strong foreground in no.1, but I'm not keen on the background. I'm finding the B&W conversion a little bit flat and grey in that area and although I know it's straight it feels like it's leaning. No.2 works well for me in terms of the angle and framing, but the contrast between the very dark foreground and very bright foreground is too much for me . . . just not sure where my eyes should be focusing.

No.3 has the balance perfect for me though.
I really like that one a lot.
There's a clear focal point that draws me into the image, good contrast in the foliage and the way the light falls along the edges of the stream fading out to black in the deeper foliage is a little bit magical IMO.

My order is 3-1-2.

There are things about all three that I don't like, but no 3 is the only one that could be changed (by a crop) to produce an image I did actually like. Since the question was one of "liking" rather than critique, that's as far as I go.

(y) That's my order too. Out of curiosity where would you have cropped no.3? It works for me as it is, but would be really interested to hear a different perspective on it.

That's my order too. Out of curiosity where would you have cropped no.3? It works for me as it is, but would be really interested to hear a different perspective on it.

I'd have cropped roughly the bottom third away. There's a rock on the right hand side that looks a little like a face in profile. I would crop at the point where it changes direction from curving out to curving in.

The main interest in the scene for me lies in the water and the illuminated rocks, and this crop concentrates the attention on this part of the frame. I'll be honest: I find it hard to judge with such a prominent copyright banner that catches and holds my attention far more than anything else in the scene. Hiding it does give a slightly different perspective on the image and shows a scene where the centre becomes the water and the waterfall. In this case, the water assumes a flask shape with a rounded bottom and a thinner neck (formed by the white water). The overall impression is then one of calm (despite the rushing water), and the main subject is the stream.

My suggested crop converts the image into a panoramic format, and shifts the attention to the surroundings which then become the main subject, with the attention concentrated on the fern (?).

Both the original and my version appeal to me, although in different ways and having essentially different subjects and moods. If the original stands uncropped, I have to say that the light edge to the lowest rock on the right hand side destroys the symmetry of darkness at the bottom of the frame on the left, so I'd burn it in a little.

But I should emphasise that my crop doesn't so much improve an existing image as create a different one which I prefer; and personal preferences were the order of the day in this thread :)

Just for semi-completeness, I've added brief comments on the first two as well.
No.2 works well for me in terms of the angle and framing, but the contrast between the very dark foreground and very bright foreground is too much for me . . . just not sure where my eyes should be focusing.

In my case, it's the angle and framing in number two that are the problem. It's an pre-eminently natural scene but photographed in an unnatural manner. The upper half of the frame invites you to look into the distance; you're looking across the scene and on the hills beyond. Well, the banks, anyway.

Now look at the foreground. The flat rocks are seen as though from above. It's the effect you'd get if you used a fisheye lens and produced a landscape with your own feet in the foreground, seen from above. It isn't the way I look, and I find it disturbing. That can be a good thing if the intention is to disturb, but on the whole it seems more likely that this should be a scene of calm.

The effect of the rocks is intensified by the sloping tree and rock on the left. The overall effect is that of a whirlpool, swirling round and round and dragging everything in to it.

So that's two points for a disturbing, slightly menacing scene; and that seems at odds with what appears to be the intent in the other two images.

Number one - well, I can agree about the black and white rendering, but my biggest problem with this one is the foreground interest. The rocks are positioned to be prominent, but lack the texture and inherent interest to sustain them in this role. The large light triangular rock bottom centre calls attention to itself by reason of its lighter colour, and then works as a pointer to a square rock which is out of place in a scene where triangles are more common. There are a few other points in this one that I would pick up on if I were attempting a full critique, but as I said in my first post that wasn't the objective of the thread.

Last edited:
3 for me. I prefer the slightly moodier lighting in that shot. The background in 1 needs slightly more contrast for my eye.

I'd have cropped roughly the bottom third away . . . <snipped for brevity of quoting>

Thank you for writing all that Stephen. Always interesting to hear what somebody else sees in an image and why.

I can definitely see the crop that you had in your mind for no.3. As you said, it's a completely different image. Not sure that I personally prefer it to the original purely because I like the large expanse of water in the foreground, but I can certainly see the appeal in it.

p.s. It was the slightly disturbing feel about the framing in no.2 that worked for me. I think that had the background been darker encouraging you to look down into the pool rather than flitting between that and then your eyes being drawn into the distance - this could have been my favourite out of the three.

I'd agree that the second would have been better with a darker background which would then have complemented the feeling of menace. I didn't take that route because I was starting with an assumption (always dangerous!) that the three were intended to portray the same mood, and the menace was outweighed by the calm of the other two.

Had it been presented as a single image, I hope that I would have made the suggestion that you did, as it seems such an obvious one - with hindsight.

This is one reason why I'm not keen on having multiple images to critique (and I know that this wasn't the intent here) because there's always the risk of being unduly influenced when not seeing a single image in isolation. The other side, of course, is that seeing an image in context helps in the correct interpretation - just as a sentence taken out of context can bear a meaning the complete opposite that that which it bears in context.

I'd have cropped roughly the bottom third away. There's a rock on the right hand side that looks a little like a face in profile. I would crop at the point where it changes direction from curving out to curving in.

The main interest in the scene for me lies in the water and the illuminated rocks, and this crop concentrates the attention on this part of the frame...........................

I'd agree that the second would have been better with a darker background which would then have complemented the feeling of menace. I didn't take that route because I was starting with an assumption (always dangerous!) that the three were intended to portray the same mood, and the menace was outweighed by the calm of the other two.

Had it been presented as a single image, I hope that I would have made the suggestion that you did, as it seems such an obvious one - with hindsight..........................

StephenM...... I found your critique really interesting, and very helpful....
Thank you for giving such a detailed reply....

Of the images...I like number 3, although I can't really explain why...it just 'looks' better, so I like it more than the others.

Had it been presented as a single image, I hope that I would have made the suggestion that you did, as it seems such an obvious one - with hindsight.

This is one reason why I'm not keen on having multiple images to critique (and I know that this wasn't the intent here) because there's always the risk of being unduly influenced when not seeing a single image in isolation. The other side, of course, is that seeing an image in context helps in the correct interpretation - just as a sentence taken out of context can bear a meaning the complete opposite that that which it bears in context.

That's exactly why I'd love more people to include a bit of an explanation in their OP about what it was they saw in a shot and what they were hoping to portray (not a dig at you at all Andrius).

I think it would definitely help those giving critique to tailor it in an appropriate direction . . . although having said that, there is something interesting in just being presented with an image and drawing your own interpretations out of it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your take on all three BTW.

No:1 for me as it is very appealing and it is just a lovely shot. One i would be proud to own.

Number 1 for me.

2 and 3 are nice compositions, but the water is blown in both.

WoW so many replies, didn't expect that :) Thank you. Lots suggestions too.

Stephen- Nr.3 I didn't want to do any crop as I was risking to get very wet to take that shot (my tripod was on 3 different rocks separated by water and I stood on 4th). Also I shot wide as wanted to have as much foreground in it. I see your point (and it's sounds good too, just makes different picture). BTW you are welcome to do your crop and post it here.

Nr.2 - Blown highlights... Well, I have one picture with normal highlights too, but I really liked this one. As I just just started ~3 min exposure, sun got through the clouds and all scene was looking so magical.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions (y)

I know how to use Photoshop, but I like to do it right in the camera or at least I think it's right :D

Stephen- Nr.3 I didn't want to do any crop as I was risking to get very wet to take that shot (my tripod was on 3 different rocks separated by water and I stood on 4th). Also I shot wide as wanted to have as much foreground in it. I see your point (and it's sounds good too, just makes different picture). BTW you are welcome to do your crop and post it here.

You could have remained in the same place and used a longer focal length lens :) There's no real point in posting my suggested crop, because all anyone has to do to see it is to scroll the image down until the bottom drops off the screen. The bottom of the image, not the bottom of the screen :LOL:

Ruth - Ansel Adams had blown highlights as well; and sometimes deliberately. I'd say it depends on whether the image requires detail in the extreme highlights.

You could have remained in the same place and used a longer focal length lens :) There's no real point in posting my suggested crop, because all anyone has to do to see it is to scroll the image down until the bottom drops off the screen. The bottom of the image, not the bottom of the screen :LOL:

Ruth - Ansel Adams had blown highlights as well; and sometimes deliberately. I'd say it depends on whether the image requires detail in the extreme highlights.

(y):)

I love all of them, lovely photos.
If i had to pick a favourite id say 3.
After looking at your other pics too id say your very talented :clap:

Difficult to choose between 1 and 3 but slightly preferred 1

Craig

Back