LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

Just thought id add to some of the comments from people who have been to events so far.

I went the to Hockey last night, in the Olympic Park. 7D with 70-200 2.8 attached. No problems at all, only check is the main entrance airport style security. faultless organisation in my opinion. Shot photos all evening during the matches. Saw a couple other SLRS with large lenses but not as many as expected.
Will post some pics up later.

To anyone going, enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere...its amazing and hopefully share some photos of it all :)

Has anyone been to the rowing ? Stands are obviously quite a way away so am wondering if I will get anything decent. Have a D7000 with a 70-200 and a 2.0 TCE III....hoping that will do the trick ?

I went to the rowing on sunday, as stated above you can take any camera gear in no problem.

Here are some shots with my D7000 and 80-200 2.8, they've been cropped a bit but I don't have the originals to hand:

7678456156_d78b0fc26f.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjhudson/7678456156/

7678459862_ee29f1f638.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjhudson/7678459862

7678461676_3f517a8325.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjhudson/7678461676/

this is the view from the stands with my fisheye to give you an idea of how far away things are.

7678458758_a949f58ff9.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tjhudson/7678458758/

I would have thought you would want a support if using the 2x, you will get a monopod or tripod in fine but there isn't room around your seat to use one really. You could try walking down the course to the standing area though - I didn't bother as you are no closer - but here you could use a support without problems.

Some general things, there is no cover anywhere so take waterproofs if the forecast dodgy - we were very lucky. Also there are rowers on the course practising from very early right up until the first race - the gb team were out in their proper colours so you could get some pics of these before the racing starts.

The park and ride was very efficient - buses were leaving every couple of minutes even if only half a dozen on board. There is a long walk however from the main entrance to the course - about a mile - quite scenic though past the racecourse and marina. I guess there would be quite a jam and delay leaving - we got some lunch whilst the queues died down and had no waiting. Food and drink prices were ok for an event, certainly nothing like the fiver for a bottle of water I'd been expecting.

Last edited:
It's good to hear that people have been getting in with some bigger kit.

I was watching the Men's Road Race on Saturday in the Mall area and decided to go and try and watch the coverage on the big screens in Hyde Park. They are running the festival there in exactly the same way as they are the sporting venues.

No food at all was being allowed in (with the likely exception being medical needs). You also weren't allowed drinks and a couple of the volunteers were recommending buying a bottle of water elsewhere, drinking it then filling it up at the free water fountains inside, because its cheaper.

With cameras though, they said that nothing over 6 inches was allowed in. That is just over 15cm, which is less than the 30cm rule. I had a large camera bag and three lenses on me, so I asked them how seriously the camera rules were being taken. I was told that it did have to be under 6 inches and they were totally honest that the only reason for the rule was because they don't want people making money from selling photos that they aren't licensed to do so.

I have a ticket to the Velodrome next week and really wanted to take my 70-200, which I'd measured was just under 30cm, attached to the body without the lens hood. After Saturday I thought I'd have to resort to taking something smaller.

It's good to hear that people have been getting in with some bigger kit.

With cameras though, they said that nothing over 6 inches was allowed in. That is just over 15cm, which is less than the 30cm rule. I had a large camera bag and three lenses on me, so I asked them how seriously the camera rules were being taken. I was told that it did have to be under 6 inches and they were totally honest that the only reason for the rule was because they don't want people making money from selling photos that they aren't licensed to do so.

I have a ticket to the Velodrome next week and really wanted to take my 70-200, which I'd measured was just under 30cm, attached to the body without the lens hood. After Saturday I thought I'd have to resort to taking something smaller.

I wouldn't worry. I was at the Olympic park on Day 2 for the Diving at the Aquatics center. The only checks you go through are at the begining and as far as I could see it was only Army guys at the scanners. I took a Tamrac Rally 6 camera bag (approx 12L I think) with my D7000 with kit lens attached, 10.5mm fisheye and 70-300mm vr. They are all under 30cm attached and extended. I did see people with bigger equipment including folded tripods that were well over 30cm even when folded! I'm positive they weren't media or pro types either! I'm tempted to take my sigma 150-500 next time! To be fair the Army guys seemed more concerned at looking for more dangerous stuff than anything. At worst you go through the checks before your ticket is scanned so you should have a chance to leave and drop some stuff off at Westfield where they do have a company that holds left luggage for a fee, although not ideal I know.

Sounds good.

My Velodrome session isn't until late afternoon anyway and since I'd like to make a full day of it, I'd go during the morning, so worst case scenario I could just go home and come back.

just to let you know...

got into Lords (archery) with a canon 5d, 2xtc, 70-200mm, 50mm, 24mm

All fine, the guys at the scanner didn't bat a eyelid when it all went though.

Despite Wembley having a no cameras with interchangeable lenses rule, there were loads of DSLRs about, which annoyed me as I left mine at home. No huge lenses visible.

I'll defo take my 15-50 f/2.8 next time and think about the 50-150 f/2.8, although I ill be too far for any close up shots really.

Hi - I found the forum discussions useful in making my decision on what to pack, so thought I would share.
Monday went to Excel judo and Olympic park water polo.

Sports 25 litre unpadded day pack. Packed 400d with grip and 17 40 f4 and hood attached along with 70 200 2.8 in its canon case. Bottle 500 ml, food and tickets. Spare batteries and memory.

Security checks only at very first outside entrance to venue. Xray guys only commented on fact water bottle in my bag contained more than 100 ml of water and asked me to drink so that only 100 ml of water in bottle.

After security, you have first ticket check.

Entrance to individual events involved checking tickets only.

Did not see other large lenses during either event except pros at the front.

Appreciated 2.8 in low light of judo event. Water polo was well lit.

Judo about halfway up grand stand (50 m to closest mat?) Water polo 2/3 up (maybe 70 m away from pool edge).

Enjoyed the atmosphere. Go if you have an opportunity. All staff encountered were friendly and chatty.

Hope this helps.

tommmy.star said:
Anyone had a good luck with 5dIII and 70-200 at ExCel?

Was there Monday for the boxing. Absolutely no problems getting in with two bodies and 3 lenses including the 70-200.

Going to the men's gymnastics finals this afternoon so will update on how i get on at the Greenwich arena.

I have tickets for the basketball gold medal match but in the cheap seats.
Is it worth taking my 55-300 lens or am i too far away? If so i'll just take my compact zoom and enjoy the experience.

If we have tickets to enter and see the Olympic Park Only (no sporting events), do they still check bags? I wonder if they will allow monopods longer than 30cm. We will be out and about outdoors so I don't see it interfering w/ people's views. The reason for the monopod is so that we can take some decent video footage. Any one have experience with this? Thank you.

If we have tickets to enter and see the Olympic Park Only (no sporting events), do they still check bags?

Yup. Bags are only checked when entering the park, not the individual venues within the park.

I wonder if they will allow monopods longer than 30cm.

Well, the rules specifically ban monopods. However, I've seen two or three over the last few days - so some people get them through. Personally I wouldn't take the risk. Or I'd buy a cheap PoS from Amazon or Jessops.

Hi - I found the forum discussions useful in making my decision on what to pack, so thought I would share.
Monday went to Excel judo and Olympic park water polo.

Sports 25 litre unpadded day pack. Packed 400d with grip and 17 40 f4 and hood attached along with 70 200 2.8 in its canon case. Bottle 500 ml, food and tickets. Spare batteries and memory.

Security checks only at very first outside entrance to venue. Xray guys only commented on fact water bottle in my bag contained more than 100 ml of water and asked me to drink so that only 100 ml of water in bottle.

After security, you have first ticket check.

Entrance to individual events involved checking tickets only.

Did not see other large lenses during either event except pros at the front.

Appreciated 2.8 in low light of judo event. Water polo was well lit.

Judo about halfway up grand stand (50 m to closest mat?) Water polo 2/3 up (maybe 70 m away from pool edge).

Enjoyed the atmosphere. Go if you have an opportunity. All staff encountered were friendly and chatty.

Hope this helps.

Got any judo pix we can have a look at?

Camera rules have been changed.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...cs-bosses-crack-down-on-spectator-camera-gear

Until now Olympic rules have limited the length of camera gear to 30cm at all venues apart from Wembley where all interchangeable-lens cameras are effectively banned.

However, a spokesman for Olympic organiser Locog this afternoon revealed a radical tightening of restrictions at venues nationwide.

He told Amateur Photographer (AP): ‘One [interchangeable-lens] camera with a 35mm [focal length] lens [is acceptable] but anything more is considered professional equipment and too large for spectator seating.'

The Locog spokesman confirmed that these rules apply to the general public, as opposed to accredited professional photographers, at the Games. ‘That's the rule being deployed now,' he added.

He said the new rules, which effectively outlaw zoom lenses on all changeable-lens cameras (consumer or professional-level), were drawn up after a consensus was reached between Olympic venues.

The news comes after an amateur photographer was warned that more than one lens would not be allowed at the men's gymnastics in the North Greenwich Arena last Saturday.

The move suggests Olympic organisers may have significantly underestimated the growing use of changeable-lens compact system cameras, in a market not limited to people who pursue photography as a serious hobby.

Samsung and Panasonic, key sponsors of London 2012, both make compact system cameras - a new breed of camera that first broke onto the market in 2008, smaller than traditional DSLRs owing to their lack of a mirror box.

Locog has previously expressed concerns that camera gear interferes with spectators' view and that people may record shots of sports action for commercial purposes, or upload their images to YouTube.

When AP pressed Locog for clarification on its rules earlier this week, a spokesman said it would limit 'professional equipment... since unaccredited photographers are not permitted to distribute their images'.

But he added: 'At the end of the day, if security disallow a spectator into a venue, the final say is with them.'

Locog has not made clear whether the 35mm focal length limit applies to the actual length stated on the lens, or relates to the focal length equivalent on a 35mm film camera.

Wembley will continue to employ its own Locog-approved rules on spectators' camera equipment

So yeah, anyone thinking of taking something other than a 35mm prime, forget it. We'll have none of those professional 18-55mm kit lenses here.

What's next? A limitation on megapixels?

Last edited:
And how many people will know about the change? I've not received an email.

I'll just take my GF2 and 14mm and a compact superzoom.

They obviously hadn't told security at Horse Guards Parade this afternoon. No problems taking my 24-105 and 70-200 in.

Watching cycling today and saw one guy in the crowd with what looked like a 70-200 and DSLR on a monopod.

Has anybody tried using a travel zoom compact like a Panasonic TZ30 or Canon SX260? Are they any good for this type of thing? Also, if so, do you have any examples?

Thanks

Colin

I saw the guy witht he 70-200 on the monopod it was in a pocket round his neck not to the floor.

my work mate took his 7d and a 70-300 lens inside a backpack and got in fine at the park. he saw some hockey as well

No, which is half the problem. They've apparently brought in a new rule which they're not bothering to tell anyone about.

The website still has the "no cameras over 30cm" rule, and no mention of the "only one lens" for which a guy was pulled up about the other day.

So the only report we have of a change is an unidentified 'official' talking to Amateur Photographer Magazine? I've not read (in this thread at least) of anyone being turned away from an Olympic Event with a half decent set-up (i.e.70-200 plus body)

looks like ap trying to make up a story - they've been scare mongering about this stuff for ages now - probably found someone in the press office who had no idea about this and just checuked some questions at them.

the 2012 website would be instantly updated if this was true and would they really say a 35mm lens - which would mean you could take something like a 35/1.4 which is quite bulky. Looks to me like ap were saying what about 35mm cameras etc and that just caused confusion.

Indeed - this story hasn't been double-sourced and there's no attribution of the source.
Hence, it's probably nonsense.

It was probably written by Inkiboo, seeing as they were wrong about all the pre-games warnings. Maybe having one last attempt at scaremongering.

Locog have enough proper problems with ticketing and sportsmanship to worry about cameras.

British forces on the security gates has been a cracking idea, should have been Plan A. They are nothing short of superb, it's great to see their smiling faces around the park. Hopefully experiencing the games makes a welcome break to their usual surrounding at the "no so pleasant" corners of the world.

No1Joker said:
It was probably written by Inkiboo, seeing as they were wrong about all the pre-games warnings. Maybe having one last attempt at scaremongering.

Locog have enough proper problems with ticketing and sportsmanship to worry about cameras.

British forces on the security gates has been a cracking idea, should have been Plan A. They are nothing short of superb, it's great to see their smiling faces around the park. Hopefully experiencing the games makes a welcome break to their usual surrounding at the "no so pleasant" corners of the world.

:plus1: well said about troops, couldn't agree more. (y)

One of us is sitting in the media centre at the Olympics and about to head over the athletics. The other is bashing at his keyboard like a monkey on crack.

I said repeatedly that unless you have very good seats, you won't get very good photos. I couldn't care what equipment you bring, just don't expect to get great photos.

Well I'm off to the football at St James' with my D7000 and planning on taking my 17-50mm tamron my 55-200mm nikon lenses (so pro... lol). Trying to decide if I just want to take the 55-200mm if there's now a 1 lens rule. I'm in the 3rd row so not bad seats I guess.

I said repeatedly that unless you have very good seats, you won't get very good photos. I couldn't care what equipment you bring, just don't expect to get great photos.

Damn! I'd better tell my friends not to bother looking at my pics from the Beach Volleyball as they must ge crap. Shame as my friends thought they were OK.

No, which is half the problem. They've apparently brought in a new rule which they're not bothering to tell anyone about.

Nobody's bothered to tell anybody at RAB - so it's a pointless rule.

Actually, I was doing ticket checks for the first time today and I figured out how security works.

The first line is the hired security company (can't remember who it it, not G4S). They seem incapable of memorising any rules so they just implement the rules on the signs at the entrance. So all they do is tell people to empty their water bottles and turn away anybody with a hard-sided bag.

The second line is the military, doing metal detecting and X-rating. They seem to think that their job is to stop people getting in with anything dangerous. Monopods, tripods, large lenses, etc. are obviously not dangerous objects so they let them through. And I reckon that's jolly sensible.

I've noticed that there are plenty of people in the crowd at the Velodrome, both today and yesterday who have large zooms. Lot's of off-white Canon lenses clearly visible nearly every time they cut to a crowd shot.

So I seriously doubt they have changed the rules.
It may just be this is just another case of somebody saying something else... like last Saturday where the Hyde Park staff were saying no camera over 15.5cm, yet its the army checking and they don't care.

Locog have corrected their previous statement about '35mm' to AP

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/539002/olympic-photography-rules-were-a-typo

AP said:
Speaking yesterday, by phone, a spokesman for Olympic organiser Locog told Amateur Photographer (AP) that new rules meant spectators would only be allowed to bring one interchangeable-lens camera, with a lens not exceeding 35mm in focal length.

Today, however, Locog's press office adopted a different stance after checking an exchange of internal emails on its policy.

A spokeswoman told AP: ‘I think the "35mm" was a typo.

‘There was a slight misunderstanding and nothing has changed.

‘The policy for spectators on the [London 2012] website still stands.'

Locog today refused to be drawn on whether spectators are allowed to bring more than one lens with them.

Damn! I'd better tell my friends not to bother looking at my pics from the Beach Volleyball as they must ge crap. Shame as my friends thought they were OK.

Again, I didn't say it was impossible but don't go expecting great photos. If you get some then that's wonderful but if you don't, sit back and enjoy the sport.

AP need to start producing some evidence for this 'story'. It's sounding increasingly like fiction...

Back