London at night.......

Can't get photos to upload from Flickr iPhone app!! Any ideas?:shrug:

Well, just looking at your Exif on the first, it's to short on expo 6, seconds need to treble that minimum, why it's to dark and WB is not right, way to much orange

H

Well, just looking at your Exif on the first, it's to short on expo 6, seconds need to treble that minimum, why it's to dark and WB is not right, way to much orange H

Not strictly true, but on the right lines. The wb definitely needs adjustment, and you do need a longer exposure, however the length depends on what your shooting and your other settings. For things like this I keep ISO at 100, and aperture around f11. If you're at embankment taking photos of the eye, it can take as little as 15 seconds, however other areas will take well in excess of a minute. Using a remote shutter is essential when tied in with bulb mode on the camera for a longer exposure.

Guys I'm only a beginner. :bang:

Not a very friendly lot on here are you!!

Well, just looking at your Exif on the first, it's to short on expo 6, seconds need to treble that minimum, why it's to dark and WB is not right, way to much orange

H

The orange is orange lighting, so it will be orange. Or have you got such skills that you can change the colour of the lights just by taking a photo of them. :thumbsdown:

The orange is orange lighting, so it will be orange. Or have you got such skills that you can change the colour of the lights just by taking a photo of them. :thumbsdown:

I don't think anyone is giving you a hard time; it's just constructive critique (how we all learn) and good advice. An adjustment to the white balance will have an effect in changing the 'temperature' of the lighting (& hence the colour).:)

Not a bad effort though.

Cheers, Adi

I don't think anyone is giving you a hard time; it's just constructive critique (how we all learn) and good advice. An adjustment to the white balance will have an effect in changing the 'temperature' of the lighting (& hence the colour).:)

Not a bad effort though.

Cheers, Adi

Thanks mate, I here what your saying but there are ways and means, that's all. As I said I am new at this and having someone throwing words at you that you don't understand in that manner is not constructive at all. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum.

I don't think what I wrote was at all harsh. I also had no idea you were new to photography. You didn't say anything about your skill levels. A new member isn't always a new photographer.

And yes, the lights are orange, but by changing your white balance to tungsten you will remove some of that.

Well as I've leant myself, things can come over a bit hasher then they were meant
However the advice is right

Have a smilie :)

H

Last edited:
Hi, nobody is being awful or unfriendly here, we are all here to help with constructive advice, to learn and have fun along the way...

Maybe take a step back and re read what's said, you have the start of some nice images there..

Maybe on another note, introducing yourself in the welcome forum might even be an idea.. give is a little info about you etc

We really are a friendly bunch when you get to know us:wave::D

Hi...

I really would like to see some correction to the white balance to take some of the sodium yellow out of the scene, as these are really suffering from that...on the first I think it would have really been great or get further along the quay side to where the dock gates are so that you could take full advantage of the reflections in the water...

It's my suspicion that you had a filter on because there is on a couple there are some flare issues, if you've got a filter (maybe its a UV) please take it off when shooting at night as it can seriously ruin shots, these can be fixed easily but that is not always the case...

Also all of these need some degree of rotation as not one of them is totally level..again this is something that can easily be fixed in processing but if you can its best to try and get all your photos level in camera, that said I don't get my own shots level all of the time ;)

Matt

I don't think what I wrote was at all harsh. I also had no idea you were new to photography. You didn't say anything about your skill levels. A new member isn't always a new photographer.

And yes, the lights are orange, but by changing your white balance to tungsten you will remove some of that.

No it wasn't mate. Wasn't talking about you. :)

Deleted

Last edited:
Sorry Helen that is just wrong :( the buildings are Cyan now :( what did you base your adjustment on?

Well 2 mins on a jpeg, only had Auto or dropper to play with, more to do with showing how WB changes things :)

H
Ps going to remove it at the op has the hump

Last edited:
Ok last comment, yes to much blue, see my post above as to why

I'm out of here...

Hi further to my above comments I've done a quick edit to correct the colours for you to give you an idea of what correcting the white balance means...it's basically trying to correct the colours to make them look a little more natural..I've also applied a little anti clockwise rotation to the image to remove the leaning in the scene..to correct the colours I've applied a slight cooler white balance to the entire scene, then as a graduated filter I've made the foreground even cooler, this is to loose the strong sodium yellow in the scene..I've given both the clarity of the scene and the vibrancy of the colours a boost, I've increased the exposure and done a little bit of highlight recovery, all told it was maybe 3'minutes of edited but hopefully you'll see it improves the look of the scene (y)

RSEDIT515 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Your original to show the difference

CRW_8437 by rs500chad, on Flickr

Of course if you wish me to delete the image please say and I'll be sure to do that for you (y)

Matt

Last edited:
originals look great
only crit need a straighten

Last edited:
I think Matts colour edit has improved the buildings greatly, sky is still too orange/washed out for my liking but that's beyond the scope of an edit. You can reshoot at blue hour to get a dark blue or purpley sky.

I find London when cloudy reflects back the light pollution and gives orange shots at night. Best time is shortly after sunset when you get lovely blues and purples along with the artificial lighting. Twilight is better Imo for night shots.

The sky in London goes blue-purple-red-orange in stages with blue being the nicest again IMO. Another tip if shooting later on is to shoot into the horizon where the sun went down as this gives a brighter nicer coloured sky.

I think Matts colour edit has improved the buildings greatly, sky is still too orange/washed out for my liking but that's beyond the scope of an edit. You can reshoot at blue hour to get a dark blue or purpley sky.

I find London when cloudy reflects back the light pollution and gives orange shots at night. Best time is shortly after sunset when you get lovely blues and purples along with the artificial lighting. Twilight is better Imo for night shots.

The sky in London goes blue-purple-red-orange in stages with blue being the nicest again IMO. Another tip if shooting later on is to shoot into the horizon where the sun went down as this gives a brighter nicer coloured sky.

In theory it can be totally fixed but I'd need access to a RAW file and it would probably be a 30-60 minute job to make it look totally right, the best thing to do I'd as you say shoot earlier within the blue hour :D

Back