Long Term Aperture user

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Righto...

I have been a long term aperture using and still like it a lot. But as we know apple is no longer going to update it or work on it. Not too sure if they going to carry on updating camera support or not.

The new apple Photo for iMac is just pant I've got it as one of the Apple Tester for many software and OS X....

So it either carry on using aperture longer or just get my ass over to LR?

Depends if your planning to update your camera and there will be no support for it.

As long as my cameras are supported...I'm going to continue to use Apeture. I'm convinced it has the best RAW converter. Have to say it's the only reason as all my PP is done in Photoshop.
I've got LR on my Mac and will begin to familiarise myself with it.

Well Ive just got the Nikon D750 and it supported but won't be upgrading it for a while thou.. So should be ok for a few years I would of though. But it a shame apple stopped updating support for it..

Apple released this week their latest RAW update. Now as far as I know this covers both iPhoto and Aperture as well as Preview. Now if they are going to continue with this for Photo's and I can't see why not, then surely Aperture will be updated as well as the uses the same RAW data

Apple's raw handling is done at the OS level so it's Apple app agnostic (as Chappers alludes to). Photos and Aperture call on OS functions to process raw files.

Apple have stated that support and OS compatibility for Aperture will end after Yosemite; from then on, it's Photos only.

Also, if you're still on Mavericks, raw updates will end soon, if they haven't already. Apple's raw updates for Yosemite will work with Aperture but once Apple upgrades Yosemite to another OS (also named after a different small California town), any raw updates will be moot as far as Aperture is concerned, because Aperture won't run on the next OS.

The long and the short of it is that you probably have a couple of years left of Aperture running (assuming you upgrade to the next OS) by which time Photos may have matured into something akin to Aperture if 3rd party developers can add DAM functions as extensions.

And don't think that Lightroom is your only option; other DAM ± raw decoding are available.

Last edited:
I'm moving to LR myself, but I'm struggling with it. Can anyone recommend a good book to famiarise myself with it ?

I'm moving to LR myself, but I'm struggling with it. Can anyone recommend a good book to famiarise myself with it ?

Go to Adobe web site. There are a lot of very good video's on Lightroom

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Julianne is a very good communicator and her short video's are very useful. If you scroll down about pages there are a whole set of "Getting Started" video's.
If you want a book then I'd say you can't do much better than Martin Evenings Lightroom 5 book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adobe-Photo...qid=1425896055&sr=8-3&keywords=martin+evening

I am struggling with LR too.. I just seem to think that Aperture runs quicker too that LR and also it smoother at work flow i.e. File arrangement etc

But LR might be a edge better with tools

Back