Look what I made ! (A Table)

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
My other hobby is woodwork and I have to say I'm pleased with the way this turned out.

I've made other stuff for the conservatory and now we needed a matching table. Idea was to make an extending table that extended quite a lot from its original size. Having looked at how most extending tables work I didn't like the gaping holes that are left when you change how it is used.... so I set about coming up with my own way of doing it.

A few along the way pictures..

sawing strips of Beech for the top veneers.
Table004.jpg

wide stuff is Oak for the underside so it stays flat
Table007.jpg

Table010.jpg

glued up
Table016.jpg

end trims going on
Table024.jpg

3 panels
Table030.jpg

My own design raising and lowering mechanism
Table045.jpg

Sprayed with varnish
Table054.jpg

Finished table
Table0-60.jpg

And an animation to show it in action
Table.gif

Managed to keep myself mostly out of shot :)

There are 50 odd sequence pictures showing all the making in the woodwork section of my somewhat neglected gallery site linked at the bottom of my sig.

Looks fantastic, I'd love to know how to make something like that, unfortunately I struggle with flat packs, love the expanding mechanism as well :) (y)

Now that is really nice. Mrs_C and myself really like it.

Seriously impressive stuff there, quality work. You should go into production and sell them.

The table has lovely rich colours, looks great, nice work too.

Hope you christened it with a bottle of bubbly :D

Steve

That looks a great table and practical too, such talent on this forum

:clap:(y) that looks great!! must be very satisfying sitting round it knowing you made it!! well done.

:clap: impressive stuff (y)

Seriously impressive stuff there, quality work. You should go into production and sell them.

I used to have a business making commercial lighting which was sheet metal and electrics so making things out of wood makes a nice change. The idea of being back in business does not appeal at all though :)

Thanks for the comments all.

I don't stick at things like this so don't know how long it could have taken. I started in the early summer and frequently didn't touch it for a week or so..... and I don't do commissions even if you could wait that long ;)

Very impressive and great story shots to go with!
Smack TP on them and go into business for camera funds!

Very Nice.

But...

Varnish?:nono::eek:

;)

Very Nice.

But...

Varnish?:nono::eek:

;)

varnish is a generic name for clear finishes. I used a yacht varnish suitable for furniture use. It is very tough and scratch resistant and has a nice semi gloss that matches the other items in the room I've made previously.

'Oil' finishes are only varnish mixed with thinners in any case. true oil does not dry and the same resins used in expensive 'oils' are in the varnish anyway.

I've seen it up close, and his sideboard and coffee table and hi-fi and TV unit and his garden chairs

He's a bloody genius!!!

Many times the cry is heard in our house when something needs fixing: 'Lets call Robert :)'

varnish is a generic name for clear finishes. I used a yacht varnish suitable for furniture use. It is very tough and scratch resistant and has a nice semi gloss that matches the other items in the room I've made previously.

'Oil' finishes are only varnish mixed with thinners in any case. true oil does not dry and the same resins used in expensive 'oils' are in the varnish anyway.

Nice set Robert, great end product and thanks for the " oil's / varnish lesson" that's
something else I have learned today (y)

You'll find a difference of opinion on the subject of oils :) To me they are just expensive snake oil ;)

One thing is common with oil finishes... they never say on the tin what the ingredients are.

Last edited:
Nice grain!

Could you have waxed? not so durable though........

:plus1: for doing your own design. I do a bit of carpentry but am a long way short of cabinet maker. I leave that to people like my Dad and you!

Beautiful bit of carpentry and design. Seriously impressed.

Excellent work! It looks really nice! (y)

Now that's what I call quality workmanship, looks far better than the stuff I've seen in them big retail stoes.

I can't even hang up a picture on a wall without inflicting damage to myself/everyone else or/and the object/surrounding area.

ooh wow!!
that is really so inspiring work i appreciate it...the design is very different from others, quite admiring but ending touch is not attractive enough.

Now that is VERY clever... and I have no issue with varnish (y)

Just found this one! Well done & you have done the timber proud. I have a friend who is making a dining table. Taken him two years to make up the top & it is not finished yet.

Back