Low flying vulture

Chris may have been blunt and harsh Marcel, but his thoughts on the original image were correct.

I guess we are back to the honesty/BS debate............:bang:

Chris may have been blunt and harsh Marcel, but his thoughts on the original image were correct.

You could write a tutorial on giving crit Ade ;)

I'm sure you could get the balance right :)

Might be most helpfull to one or two posters.

Post constructively and politely, and without arrogance or self-importance and everyone will get along just nicely.

Arrogance is often an accusation made by those who feel inferior - I cannot be held responsible for other people's inferiority complexes. The same applies to self-importance.
I'm not good enough to be arrogant.

Point taken though, put your big (and bigger) sticks away and I'll tug my forelock and back away, bowing gracefully as I go.

But whilst I've got your attention, why not sort out the parameters of the Bird forum?

no, we are back to being polite. its not a hard concept to grasp.

no, we are back to being polite. its not a hard concept to grasp.

No mate, people are being polite without being honest, hence why people are being praised for images that are not worth the praise they are getting.

I do not mind ,one iota, helping people learn, but there is no point, whatsoever, bigging images up that are simply not worth it.

I know you guys don`t agree and realise that some peoples ethos is different to the norm, but surely you must accomodate both.......:shrug:

You could write a tutorial on giving crit Ade ;)

I'm sure you could get the balance right :)

Might be most helpfull to one or two posters.

I`d probably upset some people if I did that bud.I guess, I think, I don`t care anymore...........:bang:

No mate, people are being polite without being honest, hence why people are being praised for images that are not worth the praise they are getting.

I do not mind ,one iota, helping people learn, but there is no point, whatsoever, bigging images up that are simply not worth it.

I know you guys don`t agree and realise that some peoples ethos is different to the norm, but surely you must accomodate both.......:shrug:

ok..2 examples

The background is *****, I'd not bother shooting birds in captivity as you wont learn anything.

or

The background isnt ideal, an uncluttered, open background will make the bird look much less captive. To really learn how to shoot birds I would always urge to folk to get out in the wilds and spend some time observing and trying to get shots there

===============

same message, different delivery. It really isnt hard to be polite, perhaps a few minutes thinking about what you want to say is better than just realing out a load of stuff that is just plain rude?

Yep.

I`d probably upset some people if I did that bud.I guess, I think, I don`t care anymore...........:bang:

Yes you do Ade :) Otherwise you would'nt be so passionate about it all :)

bluntness has it's place, and it's easy to overstep the line when there are so many types posting so many levels of quality.

Politness is the wrong word to be using here. Consideration would be better.

Arrogance is often an accusation made by those who feel inferior

Poppycock. I think you'll find it's the other way round. It's an accusation made towards those who exhibit a superiority complex (brought about by feelings of inferiority).
But that's by the by, there's a narcissist in all of us.

The original critique is honest, and honesty is indeed welcomed. The wording does leave a little to be desired. For example : "If that's the best you can do" is thoughtless, blunt, and in my opinion quite rude.

Even though honesty is warmly welcomed, it *must* be dressed with politeness and encouragement, not statements and reality. We are here to help each other improve, not beat them into submission with statements, facts. We're not German.

Your thoughts on the original image were indeed correct, and I actually agree with them. However, your lack of empathy for the OP is where the problem lies.

Yes, we need to encourage honesty, but at least be thoughtful and nice about it. There's no need to be tactless and rude.

But whilst I've got your attention, why not sort out the parameters of the Bird forum?

tp_bird-20100625-231413.jpg

tp_birdforum-20100625-231604.jpg

I'm not sure what's not to understand. :shrug:
I wouldn't say the parameters are too broad. If it's a bird, it goes in the bird forum.

Right now we've sorted that lot out can we have a group hug :)

I'll have a bit of that (y) Come on, lets all smile. Life's too short to be arguing about crap.

No.
Germans aren't a different race.
Xenophobic would be a better word.

No, xenophobic would be a completely incorrect word. I have no fear of foreigners.
It was a joke, based on a sterotype.
So stereotypical would be a better word.

Are you always this difficult?

PS. It's a bird, so it goes in the bird forum as that's what it was created for. Yes, you can 'squeeze' it into the Nature : Pets, Plants & Trips to the Zoo forum if you like. You can even put it in the People forum if you *really* want to as there are people in the background.

But if you apply even the smallest sprinkling of common sense, I'm sure even you would agree that it fits into the bird forum better.

After reading that lot. I now remember why I am giving sharing my pics a rest.
I thought the idea of TP was a bit of enjoyment with like minded people.
Seems to be too much point scoring going on these days.

we are trying to get some of these people educated in the fine art of having fun Charlie, but some of them dont seem to be able to take it in.

I'll continue to post as I see fit and appropriate. but I will not have my attitude or opinions dictated to.
If you feel it necessary to revoke my posting privileges then you must do what you think is right.

I am going to start taking bets on how much longer you last on here ... :D

Yes you do Ade :) Otherwise you would'nt be so passionate about it all :)

bluntness has it's place, and it's easy to overstep the line when there are so many types posting so many levels of quality.

Politness is the wrong word to be using here. Consideration would be better.

I`ll consider trying to be more considerate when offering critique in future.

:)

It's threads like this that put me off the idea of bird photography altogether.

It sometimes seems like unless you have spent a few grand on a 600mm lens and spend weeks tracking rare wild birds, you might as well not bother (not that I don't appreciate those pictures).

That doesn't mean you have to be unpleasant though.

Last edited:
we are trying to get some of these people educated in the fine art of having fun Charlie, but some of them dont seem to be able to take it in.

Well just give 'em some bench time Matty. If that doesn't do it, put 'em under the patio. :shrug:

Back