Made it in to the local paper?

About ten years ago a journalist on my local paper, the Cambrian News, was doing an article on the local population of Bottlenose Dolphins. He is a friend of mine and asked me if I had some photos of them - which I did.

A very low fee was negotiated (£30)- lower than I usually charged - and the pic duly appeared. Lo and behold, the next week they had used the pic again on the letters page. So I sent them an invoice for double the original fee. When the payment finally arrived it was for the original fee only with a copy of the invoice enclosed. The bottom line was altered in biro from £60 to £30.

Irate, I wrote to the editor and explained about reproduction fees and slide libraries etc. When no reply was forthcoming I phoned up, and she explained that she thought my original fee was too high, they never paid that much and as the slide was in their slide library :shake: they used it again.:bang:

Eventually I agreed on £45 which they paid. Now i never have anything more to do with them ....

Thats probably more common place than you think. Newspapers can be theiving toerags who will get all they can for free. If you hadn't have followed that up, no doubt your image would be used again and again. I have heard the excuse that if you submit an image to the press, you are allowing it to be in the public domain therefore they are entitled to use it without charge - which blatently is rubbish. :razz:
Saying that, some people value the picture credit more than the cash.

If there is that facility and you have access, thats great! Save loads of time but i am assuming that most people would just be emailing shots in - it might be worth enquiring though if there is the FTP upload facility in place; good thinking that man!(y) Ours doesn't :( AFIAK

Opening emails with file sizes that big though can get tedious - esp if theres a few of them in an email!

The photographers at our local use D3's so their file sizes are about 30Mb+ out of the camera. They dont email in though obviously.

I tend to sent small JPEGS (500Kb or less) via email as proofs and then ftp the real thing.

I tend to sent small JPEGS (500Kb or less) via email as proofs and then ftp the real thing.

Hey,

How can you get an image thats 300 MB big? is that photoshop alterations or straight from the camera?

Back