MBP Battery must have "expanded"

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
No
Have not used my MBP for a month - got it out to use it yesterday and the battery must have expanded

it is about 5 years old and I noticed over the past few months that the battery had stopped holding it's charge as well as it did

Have a look at the images - just about to take the bottom cover off

MBP_1.jpg

MBP_2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I thought this issue was only with their iphones. Looks like all Apple batteries have this issue :p

Same happened to the one on my macbook. Check there hasn't been a recall on the battery. I don't think they take to being left plugged in all the time even though that's probably how most people use them.

Wow, I thought this issue was only with their iphones. Looks like all Apple batteries have this issue :p

It's the original Apple Battery that came with the machine when I bought it new?

now idea why it happened

You are so lucky it has not caused a fire.
I know the MBP is 5 years old but should Apple not pay for the repair of the laptop and replacement of the battery?

You are so lucky it has not caused a fire.
I know the MBP is 5 years old but should Apple not pay for the repair of the laptop and replacement of the battery?

Not sure what to do with it - I don't have a small enough screwdriver to take the back off - about 2 years ago I fitted an SSD - I suppose Apple will deny any responsibility because of this and because I did the work rather than an "authorised dealer"

The track pad is ruined, so I support that it is now scrap

Apple designs it's gear and prototypes it but the
manufacturing is left to selected subcontractors.

I hear the same happened to other owners but
none of our three MBP 17" suffers of anything as
of yet… touch wood!

should Apple not pay for the repair of the laptop and replacement of the battery?
That's the idea behind the guaranty: flawless
operation for a given limited period of time.

I would not go too fast with this Bill, lots of
very good MBP freaks are doing repairs on
this beautiful machine. I would try everything
to have it repaired.

In any case, they would gladly buy the spare
parts.

Not sure what to do with it - I don't have a small enough screwdriver to take the back off - about 2 years ago I fitted an SSD - I suppose Apple will deny any responsibility because of this and because I did the work rather than an "authorised dealer"

I've had my son's MBP sitting up on my shelf for a couple of month's with the keyboard removed while I wait on him getting his finger out to buy a replacement keyboard, I went to move it the other day and also noticed the battery was badly swollen and it wasn't even connected to anything, wasn't like that a few weeks ago, battery was flat when it was disconnected. It was promptly disposed off I didn't want to risk it going bang in the house. The battery is easy enough to replace, after the back has been removed, unplug it from the mainboard then two screws holding the battery in.

This Screwdriver set for £10.99 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deyard-SG-...keywords=deyard+multifunction+screwdriver+set has all the sizes you would need for a MBP incl' various torx ones too.

Same happened to my old MacBook, took it to the Apple store and they just weren't interested at all :(

I would stay away from doing a DIY repair no matter how easy it is to accomplish. As well as the risk of fire, the gasses that faulty lithium cell expel is highly toxic when inhaled.
It's typical of Apple not to care about the health and safety of their customers. Just look at how they treat their workers.

I would stay away from doing a DIY repair no matter how easy it is to accomplish. As well as the risk of fire, the gasses that faulty lithium cell expel is highly toxic when inhaled.
It's typical of Apple not to care about the health and safety of their customers. Just look at how they treat their workers.

I have used Apple computers for years, since the first Cube shaped one in the 1990's - never had a problem - I was very surprised that this happened - the data was backed up and I have had good use out of it ........ but still very surprised that this has happened

I have a 7 year old MacBook pro, 15in i5, absolutely no problem with the battery other than it doesn't hold charge so well now. Now the discrete graphic card kernel panics is another matter.

It's not just Apple batteries, it's ALL lithium batteries.

Nah, I'm an Apple independent and had laptops go in for warranty work with various work done to them, as long as you've not damaged the part that's been replaced under warranty theres generally no issues. Don't think there's any cover on these for the batteries though, was an extended warranty on the discreet graphics that got extended even further but thats expired now.

It's not just Apple batteries, it's ALL lithium batteries.
It truly think it Is manufacture specific I've never seen Dell, HP or Toshiba batteries fail like this and have been working with those brand of laptops for more than 15 years

I've had my son's MBP sitting up on my shelf for a couple of month's with the keyboard removed while I wait on him getting his finger out to buy a replacement keyboard, I went to move it the other day and also noticed the battery was badly swollen and it wasn't even connected to anything, wasn't like that a few weeks ago, battery was flat when it was disconnected.

You shouldn't leave lithium batteries discharged for lengthy periods. If you're not going to use it for a while, always charge the battery. It's when they're severely discharged that things go bad. Batteries built in to devices such as laptops, are managed by the device. They will shut down before the battery reaches a dangerous state. But if you then leave it uncharged for a long time, it will continue to discharge, thus reaching an unsafe state.

I work on all Apple computers for an AASP. Apple insist we have a fire bucket, fire proof gloves, tongs etc incase a battery catches fire. I've been working on and off on Apple kit since 1990, and never seen a battery catch fire. All swollen batteries I've removed were cool. The first sign of a swollen battery is usually the trackpad clicker doesn't function, and on older MacBook series the trackpad movement slowly reduces. If removed at this stage the trackpad isn't damaged. Its not effected by leaving it with the power adapter connected. I've had them come into the workshop passing MRI battery test, then start swelling unpowered while waiting for a customer to make a decision re a quote. After the battery is removed it often continues to expand. I've seen MacBook Air batteries, once removed, expand to a bow tie shape, normal thickness in the centre and around 2" at each end with no heat. The trackpad often cracks as its made of glass. Although spectacular looking and creating comments on forums, the amount of MacBook's that fail like this are minute compared to those in use. I've also seen batteries in non computer related kit swell. As long as your MBP isn't as Apple class, vintage, an ARS or AASP can replace a trackpad economically. To remove a battery from a MBP 2010 onwards, excluding Retina models, a tri wing screwdriver is required.

It truly think it Is manufacture specific I've never seen Dell, HP or Toshiba batteries fail like this and have been working with those brand of laptops for more than 15 years

Well it's down to chemical reaction of the lithium in the battery, so it can happen in all brands. Google image search will show you of swollen battery images from Dell, LG, Samsung, DJI, HTC & more, though admittedly theres usually a high proportion of Apple battery results in any search, so it may be Apple are trying to push them to their limits and it shows down the line.

I've seen lots of swollen lithium batteries, usually in very cheap Android Tablets, a couple of old mobile phones and Macbooks. I can understand the cheepo tablets having so many issues but a MacBook pro is promoted and priced as a premium product so corners should not be cut where health safety of customers is at risk.
Interestingly, I have only ever seen the flat shaped lithium batteries experience this swelling problem, Never in 20 of years of working with computers have I seen this swelling problem in regular laptops eg, Dell, HP etc and other devices that use the cylinder shaped lithium batteries. Even the google images page shows problems with flat shaped lithium batteries I cannot see any swollen cylindrical batteries on the google page. Weird.

Lithium batteries dont have to be cheap for them to fail and swell or explode.
Coming from an RC car where Lipo batteries are the norm i have seen my fare share of expensive well branded lipos go up in a ball of flames due to incorrect charging or extreme discharging or even impact.

In the OPs case its plausible that the voltage of the individual cell(s) involved have dropped below the safe level and started the chemical reaction that causes the puffing.

As a note to the OP i would get that battery out of the house as a safety measure.

How long do the batteries normally last on a MacBook Pro ?
I'm guessing about 5 years
Mine is a late 2013 13 inch retina the battery still seems ok but doesn't hold its charge as well as it used to
although when I checked it says battery condition normal
cycle count is 92 surprised at that thought it would be higher
It's glued in unfortunately so it's not a job that I'll be attempting

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend taking it into an Apple Store and seeing if they will do anything about it for you. The MacbookPro which I had before my current one developed a fault after about 5 1/2 years. Since I had bought the machine directly from Apple, Apple agreed to fix if free of charge - this was due the 'known' logic board fault.
Perhaps you will have luck in your local store and I would certainly give it a try before you try and fix it yourself.

Re above posts about Li-Ion batteries being risky if allowed to deep discharge (?).

I am sure I have at least one old phone (a BlackBerry), if not more, that has sat in a drawer to a good while and AFAIK they all use this battery technology.

There must be millions of such phones around the world forgotten like this..........so are they at risk in regard to swelling and fire risk???

Quite a few factories have gone up in flames due to Lithium batteries being dumped in a large pile - it only takes one going rogue for a chain reaction to ensue.

Lithium is an extremely reactive metal and will react to the moisture in air so it is usually stored in oil like Sodium and Potassium.

Puncturing the plastic surround of the battery can set in motion an exothermic reaction which causes it to heat up.

Another problem with the current trend for faster charging rates, more capacity, and smaller batteries in phones and laptops is that it leads to the formation of metallic filaments which short the anode and the cathode plates and cause a very rapid discharge so all the power in the battery is dumped across them in a dead short which causes a fire and/or an explosion.

How long do the batteries normally last on a MacBook Pro ?
I'm guessing about 5 years
Mine is a late 2013 13 inch retina the battery still seems ok but doesn't hold its charge as well as it used to
although when I checked it says battery condition normal
cycle count is 92 surprised at that thought it would be higher
It's glued in unfortunately so it's not a job that I'll be attempting

Looked after you expect 500-1000 charge cycles. Coconut Battery will tell you how much of original charge capacity it's holding too to give you a better idea of how the battery is doing.

Looked after you expect 500-1000 charge cycles. Coconut Battery will tell you how much of original charge capacity it's holding too to give you a better idea of how the battery is doing.
Thanks very much I'll have a look at Coconut battery :)
Part of the problem I think is that the MacBook isn't my main machine I use a desktop most of the time and just use the MacBook when I go away so I've probably let it completely discharge too often I think

You can do this without Coconut Battery

Apple Menu > About this Mac

Click System Report...

Go to the Power section in the left hand column to get battery stats

e.g.

Charge Information:

Charge Remaining (mAh): 7380
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 7444

Health Information:

Cycle Count: 446
Condition: Normal

There is a list of the design-spec max charge cycle count here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201585

Coconut does tell you the original design charge capacity, though, which is useful if you want to compare the on-battery usage time you are getting with what you would have with a new battery.

Oc, did you get anywhere with this in the end? Have you taken it to Apple for them to have a gander?

If so what's their prognosis?

I would have returned to an apple store with it and see what they say - did you go ? any luck / future developments with it ?

You've done incredibly well to get to 2017 before you have seen a swollen battery in a device. Over the years I've had batteries in all sorts of devices from many brands that have swollen and it is almost always on devices that have been left and not been charged for months at a time. Old mobile phones being the most common, many and old phone with the battery cover popped off. Fortunately older phones had removable batteries.

Back