MEGA PS3 EMERGENCY - 999 - HELP NEEDED !!!

Edit My Images
Yes
My son's Playstation PS3 has stopped working !!!

He's 14 - so you can imagine the next to suicidal nature of things here at the mo :eek::eek::eek:

:LOL:

But more seriously - he's done all the suggested online stuff and its not playing ball, as its 3+ years old is it worth...

a) finding somewhere to get it looked at/repaired, or

b) just getting him a new one as at that age something else will pack up soon anyway ???

For added interest - I'm about to get a new phone and some of the contracts include a FREE PS3 anyway - so I'm kinda going along this route - ok so its not truly free but its only about £3 pcm more than one without the 'FREE' PS3 so nothing worth thinking about as opposed to actually buying one new

Cheers

DD

Hope he's all backed up - otherwise he's lost all those savegames...

My guess (if its the old fat model) is that it's the solder that's gone. Tricks normally involve heat guns etc to try and get the solder to flow back. It may work again for a week or two but the same thing will keep happening i'm afraid. I've been told the only way to fix it properly is to use a certain type of solder that's banned here.

Bite the bullet and get a new one (but strip the broken one down and flog the bits on ebay...a friend did this and made a handsome amount from it)

DiddyDave said:
Backed up ??? I didn't even know you could/should :LOL:

Do you mean to an external drive then ??? :thinking:

DD

Yep, external drive. You'll find the backup options in the settings menu.

If you do decide to buy a new one, Sainsbury are doing the 160gb Slim for £165 as an Easter promotion. Or if you read between the lines, trying to get one over GAME.

is it possible to put the PS3 drive in a caddy and use as external drive, that way saving the data?

is it possible to put the PS3 drive in a caddy and use as external drive, that way saving the data?

You can put it in a caddy but the content is locked to the serial of the original PS3...

As for backup of savegames - if he has PSN+ it will probably be uploading there automagically. If not prepare for swearing :)

Interesting comments there guys - cheers - better armed for the next one (y)

And yes Paul - it is the fat one :D

New one will be ordered along with a new phone soon then - and an external HD too

You *may* be able to backup the save games to a reasonable sized USB stick I suspect. Bit cheaper than buying a drive.

Back