Mersey Ferry in near miss with Gas Tanker last Friday 23rd October

Edit My Images
Yes
We thought we'd go to see the fly-by & HMS Illustrious last Friday 23rd Oct, we were VERY nearly involved in a mid river collision with a LARGE gas tanker, pretty traumatic experience, was apparenly on the tv news & local papers, very nearly national news, apparently around 450 people on the ferry.

Interesting, getting a little concerned !

getting more concened !!

very concened, stopped taking pictures, called for my 10 yr old daughter, convinced collision is immenent, in next 10 - 15 seconds !!!

tanker sounds warning horn, both ships turn hard away from each other, got within 100ft of each other !!!!!

the above photo taken after we were safely moving away from each other, so we got much closer :puke:

Apart from sharing these alarming images, I feel I need to do this as we are feeling pretty traumatised, we believe had we hit we wouldn't be hear to tell the tale

Last edited:
Yikes! Hope they hold someone responsible for it and look at guidelines. Not sure on the size of the Mersey ferry but I've the feeling that tanker would of ploughed straight over it.

Rob, what can I say, just got sloppy, I'd never make a pro.
Paulo, the ferry was very small compared to the tanker, for sure it would have capsized us, with obvious conseqences :eek:

Last edited:
Can't quite understand the difference in angle between #1 and #2, was the boat you were on making a b-line for it :shrug:

Mark

Ferry Captain " well im not giving way he (tanker) will have to give way

Very scary time for everyone on board

Ferry was in the wrong, Tanker had right of way as Ferry had to cross the navigation channel.

Glad you and the rest of the Ferry passengers were ok

Nice images although the clouds are slightly blown on the 3rd image. Even under the pressure of imminent death you need to keep an eye on your exposure. :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Love it - funniest thing I've read for a while!!

BTW, the Ferry Captain isn't a sailor by any chance? My experience of sailors in the Solent is they don't give two hoots about anything under power!!!

Andy

100ft - thats not a near miss!!!

story reminds me of what I am sure is the urban myth of the Americans v Canadians:

US SHIP: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

CANADIAN REPLY: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US SHIP: This is the Captain of the US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIAN REPLY: No, I say again, divert YOUR course!

US SHIP: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS MISSOURI. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW OR WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE AND DRASTIC MEASURES!!!!

CANADIAN REPLY: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

100ft - thats not a near miss!!!

story reminds me of what I am sure is the urban myth of the Americans v Canadians:

US SHIP: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

CANADIAN REPLY: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US SHIP: This is the Captain of the US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIAN REPLY: No, I say again, divert YOUR course!

US SHIP: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS MISSOURI. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW OR WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE AND DRASTIC MEASURES!!!!

CANADIAN REPLY: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

love it :LOL::LOL:

as for the tanker pic in no2 i like the writing below the bridge SAFETY FIRST shame the freey captain didnt see it :LOL:

Glad to hear you got off the boat unscathed. Scariest thing without a doubt for me would have been having my daughter with me. I guess all hell would have been let loose as it looks like the tanker was making good speed!. An accident on dry ground is bad enough.

Gald everyone was ok.

Were you on a constant bearing with the tanker? I am sure the tanker was the stay ship (the one that remains on original course). It would be interesting to her the radio between the two ships.

Looks like the ferry captain is more like a taxi driver on land! lol

But a plane dose also turn quicker than a tanker :LOL: ....

Depends on the plane :p

When the SR-71 Blackbird flew over to the UK it's Rate-1 turn overhead London took it to the south of Paris. Go figure.

Seriously though, glad to hear it was a near miss as opposed to nearly a miss...

Strictly speaking the vessel which has the other on her starboard side should keep out of the way. Also, if the Ramira could only safely navigate within the deep water channel, then she would have right of way. This incident should have been reported to Liverpool Coastguard at the time. They would have collected all the details and then filed a Hazrep (Hazardous Report) to both Surveyors and the Marine Accident Investigation Branch. Both of these will then have investigated further. Glad, all was OK in the end.

Seriously though, glad to hear it was a near miss as opposed to nearly a miss...
It wasn't a near miss, it was a near HIT! In the words of George Carlin. :LOL:

Nice images although the clouds are slightly blown on the 3rd image. Even under the pressure of imminent death you need to keep an eye on your exposure. :LOL:

Very funny

After reading the news report on the added link and re looking at the photos above.....it sure looks like they were closer than 140ft :eek:

Back