Mia at speed

Mumber 3 is epic

Lovely set of pet style captures Gav, liking all of these very much.

Lovely set. Number 1 is my favourite.

Fab action shots Gav. Of which your are great at :)

The colours in the first make it the stand out for me.

Gaz

All great pictures Gav. It looks like she enjoyed her day :D Well done :D

Great set of shots.
#1 is for me the 'Classic' dog action shot, but as our family pet is a Cockerpoo, I instantly relate to the the 'crazy dog, ears everywhere' that is shown in #2 and #3 :)

Great set of shots.
#1 is for me the 'Classic' dog action shot, but as our family pet is a Cockerpoo, I instantly relate to the the 'crazy dog, ears everywhere' that is shown in #2 and #3 :)
Thank you (y)

Boy look at those eye's! I have a hard time getting eye's in focus with running dog's. Read somewhere one time if you get the eye's in focus evertthing works! Seem's to work that way for me. BTW, My first good hunting dog was a Springer Spaniel! Love'em!

Quite the challenge getting a frontal charge with a Springer knowing their speed. I find it hard enough with a Beagle and they aren't as quick!

The first one is excellent and I like the second one as well. The third is a little soft, although to be fair it's a very challenging shot. Would LR sharpening be able to recover this? Also, could I ask what shutter speeds each were taken at?

Quite the challenge getting a frontal charge with a Springer knowing their speed. I find it hard enough with a Beagle and they aren't as quick!
It was a workout :D
The first one is excellent and I like the second one as well. The third is a little soft, although to be fair it's a very challenging shot. Would LR sharpening be able to recover this?
Thank you, I agree on the third, it's not great, she was just a tad quicker than I was, I missed focus, her rear legs are sharp. I use CaptureOne & Affinity, I do have Topaz now may be should have a go, I'd like to reshoot rather than recover a bad image ;)

Also, could I ask what shutter speeds each were taken at?
You can :) details in image order

Gear - Canon 5D IV - EF 300mm II 2.8

Camera set in manual with Auto ISO.

1- 1/2000, f4.5, ISO 5000

2- 1/1600, F3.5, ISO 640

3- 1/1600, F10, ISO 5000

Thank you(y)

Last edited:
It was a workout :D

Thank you, I agree on the third, it's not great, she was just a tad quicker than I was, I missed focus, her rear legs are sharp. I use CaptureOne & Affinity, I do have Topaz now may be should have a go, I'd like to reshoot rather than recover a bad image ;)

You can :) details in image order

Gear - Canon 5D IV - EF 300mm II 2.8

Camera set in manual with Auto ISO.

1- 1/2000, f4.5, ISO 5000

2- 1/1600, F3.5, ISO 640

3- 1/1600, F10, ISO 5000

Thank you(y)

Aye it's such a difficult shot to nail for the camera, especially if the dog is jumping into view and barely gives you or the camera a change! lol

My Sony A9 with a good Sony lens was excellent for this, almost boring-easy, but my current D810 is far more challenging and fun. I'm proper nit-picking here, but when pixel peeping number 2 it does look like there's a very slight bit of motion blur, possibly from the shutter speed. I'm 1/2000 min with my dog for belt and braces and your dog will be much faster! Great shots though, she looks full of life!

I sympathise with all the nitpicking but for me it detracts from the impact of a good shot. I like it when photos of beasties show something more that isn’t obvious ”in the flesh” and #2 has all that with the ’spiky” ears and showing her right pastern* being horizontal which sadly a lot of dog owners don’t get when they a busy cutting of dogs’ ’thumbs’. So that puts #2 above #1 for me despite the better eyes in #1.

* the spillchucker changed that to “Pasternak” :LOL: .

Aye it's such a difficult shot to nail for the camera, especially if the dog is jumping into view and barely gives you or the camera a change! lol

My Sony A9 with a good Sony lens was excellent for this, almost boring-easy, but my current D810 is far more challenging and fun.
The wood made everything worse as I could barely get a clean line of sight either.

I'm proper nit-picking here
:runaway: :LOL:

but when pixel peeping number 2 it does look like there's a very slight bit of motion blur, possibly from the shutter speed. I'm 1/2000 min with my dog for belt and braces and your dog will be much faster! Great shots though, she looks full of life!
It was a steep learning curve, I've not had much time with her, I really need to get her away from my 'in-laws' and have another bash.

Thanks for the feedback (y)

We need to see more Beagles on here ;);)

I sympathise with all the nitpicking but for me it detracts from the impact of a good shot. I like it when photos of beasties show something more that isn’t obvious ”in the flesh” and #2 has all that with the ’spiky” ears and showing her right pastern* being horizontal which sadly a lot of dog owners don’t get when they a busy cutting of dogs’ ’thumbs’. So that puts #2 above #1 for me despite the better eyes in #1.

* the spillchucker changed that to “Pasternak” :LOL: .
Thank you, the ears are brilliant on these beasts!
Cheers for the feedback (y)

All the nit picking? lol :rolleyes:
Yeah, sorry that was badly phrased but I picked up on your use of the term. I think picking over the technical details is necessary given it’s a photo site but sometimes we can lose sight of the impact of the photo as a whole — I’m not sure if that’s exactly what I mean either. Anyway all three are cracking snaps (I the origin sense of the word “snapshot” :LOL: before I get in more trouble).

Yeah, sorry that was badly phrased but I picked up on your use of the term. I think picking over the technical details is necessary given it’s a photo site but sometimes we can lose sight of the impact of the photo as a whole — I’m not sure if that’s exactly what I mean either. Anyway all three are cracking snaps (I the origin sense of the word “snapshot” :LOL: before I get in more trouble).

lol no worries, I suppose we are in the critique section after all :D

Back