MicroAdjustment Software

Cool I will post the link in the 50d thread and ask others for support.

Time for an update on this. I've been selected as one of the official beta testers for the software, now called FoCal. The bricking concerns were sorted out a long time ago and were easily rectified by a bit of fiddling with camera settings, with no need to return the camera to Canon.

Could you be a little more specific please Tim?

I have been keeping an eye on this one on POTN and I have to say that my impression of the chap is that he is quite switched on and professional.

Details are documented in the POTN thread and and I think Rich has written up something about it on his blog. As I was never affected by the problem I did not dig too deep. The problem will still exist in old beta versions, but has been resolved for the latest beta copies in circulation within the closed beta test community.

EDIT : Here you go - http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1550

If you're not in the current official beta test group then personally I would advise against using old beta copies of the code. The bricking problem might have been fixed in the most recent version(s) of the older code but there was another problem in old versions which affected calibration reliability for many people. That is now also addressed, but only in the very latest closed beta software which was only released to the test group yesterday.

Last edited:
So has anyone actually bought the released version, and if so is it worth it? i.e is it a lot easier / produce better results than the old manual way.

I might be interested in this as well.

I had suggested earlier that it cost to add extra cameras but after a bit more research it says

See here http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/purchase.html#NewCamera

Buying a new camera?
If you get a new camera after purchasing a license for FoCal, simply get in touch via the web contact form or by email with your original PayPal transaction reference and the new serial number and your new body can be added to the license free of charge (up to a maximum of 5 bodies).

Last edited:
I got this last night as I was having crap results doing it manually. I was pretty impressed with how easy it was to setup and run. It adjusted my lens +7 and it does look sharper with the before and after images. I got the middle one for £30 I think. I'll have to do it again when I get better lighting as I did it at night using a few bedside lamps that maybe could have been brighter.

But so far so good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

I have just bought the pro version (£50 for this month i think). I also have done a lot of manual microadjustment and where my 500 is perfect after MA, my 500 with 1.4 I just cant seem to get it bang on so I am hoping the software will sort that out for me. Also have the 100 macro IS and 300 f4 to sort out with it.
I would much rather put my faith in a computerised automated MA system than a human way any day of the week!

Much better results today in proper lighting, i reset the MA back to 0 and it has now said it is perfect where it is, it certainly looks fine to me.

One that came with the package. There are two targets. One for large zoom lenses and one for shorter zooms. It's such an easy setup.

Ive been out all day so only got to try it at 4pm. I taped the small target to my wheelie bin positioned that about 7m away, got the gear all connected and it found the camera and validated the target within two clicks and I set off the test with a 3rd click.
All this on my macbook pro using the free virtual box and a free trial version of windows 7.
I started on my 300mmf4 + 1.4tc but unfortunately the light which was already pretty bad in my back garden deteriorated further and the test halted saying the light had changed too much. I tried again but by now it was shooting at 1/15th and its windy here so again the test stopped itself saying it couldn't get consistent results or something due to movement I think it said. (Impressive its so precise I think, I've never halted myself when doing manual MA because the light had changed!)
I am very happy it all runs on a mac through virtual box, that was the first hurdle.
I just need some light outside to be able to complete a test.
I will report back when I get a complete test done.

Last edited:
I've just put 4 lenses through the beta test on a 1Ds3 and it looks quite impressive. Three came up with good results....different values from the ones I had using Lens Align but in the same area. One lens failed due to inconsistent results and I'll have to revisit this tomorrow.
A well thought out and intuitive piece of software IMHO.

Bob

Good to hear Bob.

I'm waiting for an update to include the 1D Mk 3.

Good to hear Bob.

I'm waiting for an update to include the 1D Mk 3.

I understand that 1D3 and 1D4 will be next when this release of 1Ds3/50D has shown itself to be stable. I'm waiting for the 1D4 version to see how the same lenses fare on different bodies of the same type (two 1D4's). In theory the results should be the same/very similar albeit with a possible global offset to account for the error in the body.

Bob

Just an upstate on this. I haven't managed to do a successful test yet as I don't have proper lights I keep waiting for some sunlight. I did manage to force it to extend a test when there was some daylight and it said my 300 should be +13 not +8 so I have set it to +13 now and I will see if that's better this weekend.

Anyone any idea of the version it is currently on?

I can't see it anywhere on the website http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/

I have just emailed him to find out but thought someone on here may know.

I want to get my 7D done now and then the 1D3 when the software is updated (scheduled for 1D3 & 1D4 by the end of Jan), but don't want to pay for an update if it's going to jump from 0.x to 1.x release.

FoCal 1.1 was released yesterday and a link to the latest version was sent out to customers by email. Here's the revision list....

- Addition of support for the Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III and Canon EOS 50D.
- Addition of a new Manual Mode which allows you to analyse images you take yourself, and this works with Canon and Nikon cameras.
- PDF Report generating capability from the Fully Automatic test and Manual Mode tests in FoCal Pro.
- Bug fixes and minor improvements.

AFAIK there is no download link on the website because the software cannot be used without a licence key and you don't get the key until you buy it. Once purchased you receive your key and download link by email.

All 1.x releases will be included in the original purchase and the 1D3 and 1D4 support is planned for release 1.2 by the end of Jan.

Thanks Tim.

I understand about there being no download link. Would probably be worth it saying on the website what version it's on tough.

I am going to get the Pro version but for some reason I can't find my 1D3 serial number on my PC only the 7D one. So I'll order it later when I get home.

Release 1.2 came out earlier today. Prices are discounted until 24th Feb with this link....

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/focal12/

With the release of FoCal 1.2, all currently available (Feb 2012) Canon cameras which support AF microadjust are supported. This is the Canon 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III (see here for limitations of the 1D3 and 1Ds3), 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D and 50D.

Last edited:
Has anyone got the email for the 1.2.1 version as mine hasn't come through yet?

No 1.2.1 email for me either. I didn't even know there was a 1.2.1 until reading this thread just now.

I've added a comment/query to the Facebook announcement. Maybe Pro users don't need the fix.

I think the fix was only needed for Plus users but that we were all getting the link.

I have emailed for the link.

Just been posted on FB
---------------------------------------------
FoCal Yep, I should have been clearer - 1.2.1 is only necessary for FoCal Plus users, and the update email has only been sent to those.

Tim - I think were posting at the same time ;)

1.3 is due for release later this month. I just received a copy of 1.3 beta 2 today, but haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'll try to give it a whirl this week, weather permitting.

A few details of new features are documented here....

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/focal-13.html

It looks like the discounted prices are still available from this page....

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/mbp45/

EDIT : Just adding some search terms for the thread - Reikan Fo-Cal Lenscal

Last edited:
Downloaded today....had a quick go with a couple of lenses...not sure I set it up right but so far it seems to be working OK, one lens I was having a bit of bother with appears to be much better now.

Sadly I had no useful results using my lenses on the 1D3

Shows full compatibility with the Nikon D3S so thinking about giving this a go but I can't see any really 'brilliant!' reports in the thread and seemingly numerous updates.
Is this a stable and reliable piece of software for the money and most importantly is there real experience of it being long-term effective?

Sigma 50-500 OS (Claimed 20+ out), Tamron 70-300 VC (could not even get a starting point despite the lens being pretty much spot on).

I did go through the options advised but eventually gave it up as a bad buy.

I think for other cameras its good but the 1D3 cannot use mirror lock up which I think is causing some of the issues.

that said the 100mm did come up fine at spot on 0, so who knoes maybe its a thrid party lens issue.

Edit: Just noticed you;re using the 1D3 too - perhaps it a third party or long lens issue, I do confess to not having a mansion with rolling estates large enough to do the test at a proper distance :) (probably about 10m or so)

Last edited:
Back