Microsoft 7

Prices are set to go back up at 8th of August, or so a memo said in work

very limited quantities so microsoft have said but Im gonna see about gettin it in a week

thx, just ordered :)

Picked 'professional' up the other day from PCWorld and you can get an extra 2% off via Quidco.com ... every penny counts ;-)

Its cheap as its not yet widely used.. so the usual microsoft teething problems. I'll wait for service pack 3

That doesn't make any sense.

When SP III arrives you will then need to pay close to full price. If you buy now then you could store it rather than install until SP III and still save.

Windows 7 is the most widely tested o/s microsoft have ever produced, it's also by far the fastest, most stable, hassle free version I've ever used. I'm havin'it :)

Excuse the ignorance as I had no idea that this was on the way.

I use XP currently (never got round to Vista) and I wondered whether MS 7 will have issues with software compatability initially.

Running PS Elements for instance & dont know if it will work properly

As a software developer by profession I expect there to be less issues going from Vista to 7 than there were going from XP to Vista.

a chap i know around corner hates vista will not even stock it all he sell's is xp due to it been better to use all round and he is well cheuffed with windows 7 if that is any help to you

as for software he is already used certain amounts of software on it with out any patches so i would say yes or like above less problems than vista had

"Run many existing Windows XP productivity applications in Windows 7.²"
What the pro version has and the home doesn’t.

i've got two ordered, even though i'm on a macbook :naughty:

I think Vista is the new "Windows Millenium" and will very quickly die so I've bought 3 copies of Windows 7.

A full retail copy of Windows 7 for £45 is as close to a bargain as you'll ever get from Microsoft

so I've bought 3 copies of Windows 7.
there is rumoured to be a multi-user "family" licence coming similar to Apple's, still unless they also do a pre-launch offer on that you probably haven't lost anything.

I paid £39.99 for my Windows 7 courtesy of Argos & a voucher code.

Is this preordering or are you actually getting the OS to use now?

stew

No m8, not till October.

They actually sold out in Germany at Amazon in the first 7(!) minutes and were gone by the end of the hour in all shops. Crazy.

As for whether it's another desaster like Vista: unless they have changed it massively from the release candidate (which they shouldn't) this is easily the best Windows yet. I've been using the Win 7 64bit Release Candidate since it came out as my primary work system and I'm not a Windows fanboy, but it has for the most part been a very pleasant experience. Definitely quicker than Vista, also runs quickly on my netbook (about similar to XP). I'd recommend getting it, bought two home premium licences the other day (don't think I need anything from the Pro that I wouldn't get from some free apps)

Michael

I've been using the Win 7 64bit Release Candidate since it came out as my primary work system and I'm not a Windows fanboy, but it has for the most part been a very pleasant experience.

Good to hear as I use x64 on my desktop system and been totally rock solid from day one.

Do they take the cash in October?

'Payment will be taken from your debit or credit card just before we confirm and dispatch your order.' PC World order email. So they take in Oct.

I had not heard anything about this until I got the b lurb from Amazon - which says

"Windows 7 is designed to make your PC work the way you want it to--to be more reliable, more responsive and to make your life easier. . "

To be more reliable than what??? If they mean previous systems why on earth can't they make those reliable before bringing out new programmes - oh I forgot - they don't get as much money for correcting their mistakes with existing programmes as they do for calling it something new and making everyone pay all over again

I had not heard anything about this until I got the b lurb from Amazon - which says

"Windows 7 is designed to make your PC work the way you want it to--to be more reliable, more responsive and to make your life easier. . "

To be more reliable than what??? If they mean previous systems why on earth can't they make those reliable before bringing out new programmes - oh I forgot - they don't get as much money for correcting their mistakes with existing programmes as they do for calling it something new and making everyone pay all over again

Yea, and you are a software engineer and know exactly how difficult or easy it is to 'make those reliable'.......

there is rumoured to be a multi-user "family" licence coming similar to Apple's, still unless they also do a pre-launch offer on that you probably haven't lost anything.

I paid £39.99 for my Windows 7 courtesy of Argos & a voucher code.

If it comes out before October & it's cheaper then I'll cancel (or sell my copies) :)

A bit off topic but related...

On the Home version, is there a Local Group Policy Editor?
Is it also possible to control multiple users?
3733550614_9b1b31471c_o.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
I believe not - Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 7 Enterprise

:)just ordered mine

Just ordered 2 copies of Home Premium from PC World (y)
Guy on the phone said best not to order from the web, phone orders are given priority and there's so few left that you wont be guaranteed one if you order via the web. Might be the usual bull, but if you want one, would be worth ordering via the phone. :shrug:

£44.99 at PC World yesterday, give them a call (number's on the website). Everywhere is selling out fast though, if you see one get it! Good luck.

Argos seem to be the cheapest atm, unless someone knows otherwise.

Only thing I noticed is that they say the retail price should be £80 and not £150 like everywhere else.

Last edited:
Back